Builds 1987 FJ60 "Pearl" Amateur Hour Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First off, Im not a professional Im going to post things here as I go. One because I want to document some of this stuff and two maybe it will help someone else.

"Pearl" as by father in law called her was bought new in 1987 and was his primary car. The sales slip says it came into the US through Portland and was sold in Kingsport, TN. It served this duty until 11 years later when it was given to my wife because his company gave him a company car. My wife drove it for 6 years across the state when in 2004 it went into retirement when she got a new highlander. From 2004 to 2016 it served the occasional duty of visiting the cousins farm in the next town over and going to get coffee on Saturday mornings (10,000 miles over that 12 year span).

In march or 2016, It was in disrepair and was essentially unusable, lots of rust. Lots of vacuum leaks. it squeaked, the brakes squealed, all of the above. It essentially sat behind their house wasting away for several years, just getting cranked occasionally.

I stepped in, Id always wanted a 40 and/or 60 and wanted something in the garage to mess around with. After some haggling with my mother in law we towed it down to south Alabama to start the restore.

The first line of business was getting rid of the rust and paint.
IMG_1110.JPG

So, I learned how to weld and welded in some sheet metal etc. removing all the rust I could.

IMG_1100.JPG

IMG_1145.JPG

Yep this was an amateur paint job. Harbor freight paint gun, etc.

IMG_1298.JPG

It really turned out OK, but I did realize that working on the truck in 9000 degree south Alabama heat in an unconditioned garage was not going to work. So I decided to rebuild the garage which took 2 years so from June 2016 to 2018 there was no work done on the land cruiser. Once again it sat and rotted in a driveway.

S0BlMX%JQe6zAnzs1fZGpQ.jpg

Pearl got a new home finally (I also had to redo 2 bathrooms and the kitchen in the house). But the land cruiser didn't really get started on until late 2018.

First was the fuel system, when I could get it to start, every time I turned left there would be a streak of gas coming up the driveway. I figured this was the rotten gas tank so the plan was drop the tank, inspect and order a new one. Well after the tank was dropped I found that one of the vapor lines was chewed trough (probably by a rat) and was letting fuel spill all over when I turned left. All lines from the tank up to the carb were replaced. The tank was clean. Minimal rust, so it was repainted and reinstalled. Total cost was about 20 dollars in various sizes of hoses and 40 dollars of paint.

Step one down.

Even though the fuel lines were redone, it still ran like crap and I could only sometimes get it to crank often it flooded and Id have to wait 20 minutes before trying again. So next step was rebuild the carb. I followed the Pin Head you tube videos to a T.

IMG_1114.jpeg

The carb rebuild really wasn't bad. Just follow the steps on the Pin head video and its all pretty self explanatory.

IMG_4698.jpeg

Next, I redid all the vacuum lines cause it was still surging and sputtering. and my vacuum pressures were way off.

IMG_4799.jpeg

Welp, that still didn't work so it was time to dive in deeper. Spraying starter fluid anywhere around the engine indicated a vacuum leak so it was time to tear into the intake and probably replace the gasket there.

Well, I found the culprit.

IMG_4817.jpeg

Well, having all of this apart it seemed harder to put it all back together so some of my smog stuff went missing. Air pump out, EGR out, air rail out, HAC out, HAI out. HAC is not needed cause Im literally at sea level, and the highest I ever go is about 700 feet.

While I was there I decided to do a Saginaw pump upgrade ordered the stuff from Georg at Valley hybrids and installed seamlessly. Got a new intake from cruiserparts.net. Desmog kit from MAF. While waiting for parts I did the galley plug fix. And studied desmog vacuum routing (and studied, and studied).

Then I plugged everything back together.

IMG_5146.jpeg

Finally, It lives!!!!!

Reset the timing, did the lean drop carb tuning, adjusted the valves, and last but not least I did the "green" wire mod. And it runs like an absolute top now. Cranks on the first turn over. Warms up immediately. It runs like it was supposed to. I can finally rely on it to start!!! You guys are awesome, I learned everything right here and on you tube.

So, I got the engine working like it should but the brakes were dragging, there was differential fluid coming out of the driver side knuckle so it was time to tackle the knuckle rebuild and work on the brakes. There was plenty of info on here and youtube to make it happen.

IMG_5106.jpeg

Rebuild kit from cruiser outfitters, went ahead and put new rotors on the front while I was at it as the old ones were warped and rusty. The calipers were shot as well and after an attempted rebuild new calipers were ordered from oreillys.

So after the new calipers on the front new rotors up front, new pads on the rear. I couldn't get the bakes to work at all, couldn't clear the lines. Well it turns out that the piston in the master cylinder was jammed forward and stuck so I went ahead and replaced that as well. After install and clearing the lines of air I was back in gear.

Not so fast, the rear E-brake was stuck, which required replacement of the bell crank as the arm had seized in the aluminum housing and I could not get it moving. Amazon to the rescue Dorman 924-750 was touted as a direct replacement. It was not exactly a direct replacement. it works fine but the springs are not the correct length so you have to reuse the old springs. And the adjustment screw rests on the backing plate instead of the pad it was meant for.

Well, everything is currently working. It is drivable again.

Ive got a lot of plans for the future. I need to get a new exhaust built (I think Im gonna let an exhaust guy do this). Then I need to get the AC working (kind of dreading this one, I dont know where to start, might be going to a shop for this too). Then Im going to get to some of the fun stuff, suspension, wheels, tires, bumpers, winches, lights. And move to the interior at some point.

That broken intake! Wow! I’ve never seen one broken full through. I’d hang that on my garage wall.
Good for you jumping right in on some hard welding too. I’ve not tackled body panel gauge yet but I have been worked big on my frame. What would you share from what you’ve learned for tackling the thin stuff?

Wow! You’ve tackled a lot on your truck!

Respect for Doing a garage resto paint job. A lot of time goes into that. The remaining jobs are going to be a piece of cake compared to what you’ve already done.

Cheers!
-Ed

That broken intake! Wow! I’ve never seen one broken full through. I’d hang that on my garage wall.
Good for you jumping right in on some hard welding too. I’ve not tackled body panel gauge yet but I have been worked big on my frame. What would you share from what you’ve learned for tackling the thin stuff?
Ha! I might need to hang that intake on the wall. I’m in need of some decorations in here.

I wish I had some advice for the panel damage but it was basically trial and error. I did some research on some welding websites and the key was not to let anything get too hot and warp. Essentially, it was multiple tack welds done across the patch one at a time. It wasn’t a quick weld. More like 100 tacks instead of running a bead. There was also a fair amount of epoxy (my last project was a boat so I was good at epoxy and fairing) and some bondo.

Wow! You’ve tackled a lot on your truck!

Respect for Doing a garage resto paint job. A lot of time goes into that. The remaining jobs are going to be a piece of cake compared to what you’ve already done.

Cheers!
-Ed

That took a while all the old paint was removed with a hand sander down to metal then primed and repainted. There’s some stuff I would do different and unfortunately I had a storm roll in as the clear was drying causing some dust issues and imperfections in the clear coat. But, I’m cool with that. She’s not perfect but I can say I did it all myself.

6FB6E64C-3957-4326-8EBC-9F9CA0856A8F.jpeg

New stereo today. Replaced a 22 year old aftermarket stereo/cd that my wife had bought back in high school. It’s great to have Bluetooth in the old girl. Would have liked to have something more classic looking but...

And I adjusted the clutch. Had about an inch of play before engaging so I loosened the bracket a couple turns. It really helped out with the sloppy feel there. I also replaced the fluid in the clutch system, wow, that was aweful.

My intake was cracked in the same spot. A PO had someone weld it back together. They surprisingly did a much better job than I could’ve ever done.

Welp, I decided to tackle the ac this week. I did a ton of reading on here and elsewhere and decided that it’s really not that complicated. :rolleyes:

Symptoms were: blue light on the gauge cluster came on fan worked in the cabin. Clutch engaged when hot wired. PO said that it hasn’t worked in about 10 years.

First step, ordered a gasket set online. 7 dollars at oreillys. And took everything apart replacing gaskets as I went and clearing any old mineral oil out then clearing everything with my air hose. Replaced the drier as well and buttoned everything back up.

Pulled a vacuum through the lines and it pulled right down to 30. Held there for 30 minutes. So I vacuumed for an hour. Then started the filling process. Hooked the first can up and low side read 60. The clutch engaged and I thought I was in business. High side made it to 60 and that was it.

Diagnosis: compressor dead.
300 dollars on amazon and I’m back in gear.
713BD038-130D-4372-98FC-E09F65536C34.jpeg

Install was pretty simple. I replaced the mineral oil with pag46 with dye.

B2CB4CA9-6153-4D48-A855-01F0DF1809A4.jpeg

Went through the recharge steps and boom. Ice cold air.

Also decided that the garage needed an air upgrade so...

DA8DB6C4-0010-4902-AA4B-BAD69D225740.jpeg

New ceiling fan.

@goldman
What color did you paint?
Thinking of the Rustoleum smoke grey for mine and was wondering about yours.
& garage ceiling fans are great.

@goldman
What color did you paint?
Thinking of the Rustoleum smoke grey for mine and was wondering about yours.
& garage ceiling fans are great.

That’s the original color. Dark blue metallic (8B4 is the code) I got the paint at a local auto paint supply store, cost about 500. I wanted to change colors, the wife wanted to keep it the same, so we compromised and kept it the same.

Been a couple of months, had a leak in the AC system. It was the condenser. New one was ordered from Rock auto and it was a direct replacement. Since then its been my daily driver, Ive put a couple thousand miles on it already.

Finally replaced all the belts, I cannot believe I did not do that sooner.

Now that I got the mechanicals working well I went on to the upgrades.

OME lift
Toyo RT 295/70/17 with fuel shok wheels. 1.5 inch spacers and 5 inch backspace.

efbdWLjbREeeUjJYFG63yg.jpg

The wheels fit OK there is a little rim on the out edge of the wheel that took a little sanding to get to fit over the hub.

Its like a new truck, the tires act like an overdrive. The OME is like driving on a cloud. I might be exaggerating a little bit, but I really am happy with the upgrade. Up next is a ARB bumper, Im gonna have to let the smoke clear around here cause if my wife sees me adding something else to the cruiser now Im probably gonna be living out of the back of it full time.

Awesome job, love the work you've done.

Thanks, its awesome to have this forum here. Ive learned a lot from you guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom