1986 Toyota Hilux LN65 2L oil? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What kind of motor oil? I know it’s 10w 30 but I’m assuming because of its year it can take conventional oil? Should I put synthetic or a blend instead? Thank you!

Toyota told me use the 20/50 in their older style engines and 10/40 in the newer ones. I have never had problems putting synth into older style ID engines that are in good condition.

Oil viscosity is chosen for ambient temperature range. Oil type is chosen for application (petrol vs diesel, simple vs full of emissions equipment).

Literally any diesel oil that suits your climate will do. Most climates can run a 10W40 all year round. You need to be consistently hot to run thicker, if you get very cold in winter then run a thinner W ratio (5W40 or 0W40).

Australia run heavier oil because of climate. Most of them have never seen a frost.

Yeah my truck says 10W-30 and 5W-30 in extremely cold temperatures. Just didn’t know if the type like conventional, blend, synthetic mattered. That is my question mostly. Thank you!

IMG_0300.jpeg

Most 10W30's will be a semi-synthetic and 5W30 semi or full synthetic. Basically the bigger spread between the two numbers the more complex the oil will be.

that is the crustiest radiator i think ive seen! oil type is probably the least of your immediate issues!
😦

Oil viscosity is chosen for ambient temperature range
Maybe so, but old engines that have signs of wear, run hotter
Most of them have never seen a frost.
Oh really. Perth gets a couple a year.
All of Victoria and parts of southern Western Australa are on the same latitudes as the North island. You do know it snows at Ayres Rock(Ulurhu) every so often?
I camped east of Kalgoorlie a few years back and the water in the dogs bowl was frozen rock solid and it never warmed up enough to take a heavy jacket off.
1690525522538.png

Maybe so, but old engines that have signs of wear, run hotter

Oh really. Perth gets a couple a year.
All of Victoria and parts of southern Western Australa are on the same latitudes as the North island. You do know it snows at Ayres Rock(Ulurhu) every so often?
I camped east of Kalgoorlie a few years back and the water in the dogs bowl was frozen rock solid and it never warmed up enough to take a heavy jacket off.
View attachment 3385388

Luckily we don't see above 40C much in summer here in NZ. I'm down south which runs a temp range of about -10 to +36 most years. Our average temp across the whole of june was 2C this year. Great time to remember you've still got summer diesel in the 4wd!
The 50wt oils that Aussie loves aren't much different to 40wt's in the warm, but they really bring the suck in the cold. The combination of battery losing cranking power and your engine oil turning into glue isn't much fun when you're trying to get going in the morning.

Big difference in how my vehicles start and run the first few miles in winter with the 5W and 10W oils even in a light frost. I run 75W90 axle oils too which was a big improvement over straight 90w or 80W90.
Once up to temp they're fine, but short running in the cold feels like your tyres are flat and fuel economy takes a beating. My ute took an 8% hit on fuel economy with 15W40 over 5W30.

At -15C a 20W50 oil is ~500x thicker than at 100C operating temp. They're too thick to lubricate crank bearings.
A 10W40 oil is thinner at -25C than a 20W50 is at -15C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom