1985 BJ70 Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

Been on this forum for a few months reading and learning while looking to purchase my first land cruiser.

A few months ago i finally found something local to me and fair priced so went and checked it out and ended up bringing it home.

1985 BJ70 RHD with a 3b motor and 5 speed. 340,xxx km imported from Australia and runs and drives very well. Bought it here in Orange County but found the listing on BAT a few years ago from Northern California. Would be curious if PO or anyone else on here knows about this vehicle or seen it around. Will post the listing below.

New to the land cruiser scene but a little about me; Im a master tech for BMW/Rolls Royce for 8 years and just left last year to an EV start up company called Lucid Motors. I have owned and specialized in vintage bmw's my entire career. In my free time, i try to spend time wrenching without getting burnt out but now with the land cruiser, it got the spark going for me again. I also own a tacoma and have and was building out ALUCAB campers and off road rigs through TinyRigCo in Orange county. I am really looking forward to hopefully getting to know more people local to me and getting out with some fellow cruisers.

Heres a few pics from when i first went to see the rig and a few pics from its first time hitting to local fire road trails!
Appreciate any feedback, recommendations or anything at all. Thank you all and super excited to finally join the forum!

Cheers--Bradley
No Reserve: 1985 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ70 - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1985-toyota-land-cruiser-bj70/

IMG-9607.jpg

IMG-9441.jpg

IMG-9439.jpg

IMG-9195.jpg

Hello,

Welcome to the madness.

The factory service manual is your friend. You should get one.

Juan

Nice BJ! Looks in pretty good shape. Definitely can tell it is from Australia with that roo-bumper on that thing!

Being a mechanic, you will appreciate the simplicity when working on these. It is one of the few vehicles around that you can do most repairs on it with a small bag of tools... anywhere. :cheers:

cool truck

Sweet ride, these are very sought after in Australia and quite rare. I see one maybe 2-3 times a year. The 3B is a great little engine.

Haven’t gotten around to doing much lately. Replaced the 12v battery the other day and took it for a cruise with the family. Need to put together a list of parts to order soon!

Anyone have good recommendations for front bumper and pre filter for snorkel for this?

DO01000432.jpeg

DO01000386.jpeg

DO01000486.jpeg

DO01000479.jpeg

Re: bumper
Most narrow-nose owners stay with a bullbar of some sort. If you don’t like yours for some reason you should be able to find an ARB, which has a more “fitted” style though is largely the same as yours.

Re: snorkel
Generally there’s no need for any further air filtration. You already seem to have a Safari Snorkel intake, that’s about as good as it gets. If you prefer the OEM cyclonic cap you can get that by finding it in the EPC. (Opinions are mixed on whether one type of intake is better than the other.) For extreme conditions, some will either flip the snorkel intake around (severe rain) or put on a snorkel sock (severe dust). For our North American requirements neither should really ever be necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom