1985, BJ70, 3B to a 350 chev (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

First time on the site so a big hello to whom ever reads on.

I'm trying to find any information possible from anyone who has fitted a 350 chev into a BJ70 (3B). My 3B has done 380,000 and I can't stand it any longer, too slow. I have thought about fitting a turbo but can't justify the cost of $3,200 AUS for a 30% increase in power. Here I can buy a create motor complete for ~$5,200 AUS, 4 bolt 350, 330 hp. The downside is the conversion kit for $2,200. My other delema is that I have never ventured from diesel.

I'm really looking for 2 things -

>1 Information on hints and tips from anyone who has completed such a project.

>2 Is there anything I can do to get the 3B running better in the meantime without large costs.

All I want to do is tow a trailer camping without turning a 2 hour trip into 4 and maybe spend some time in 5th gear.

Any information would be appreciated.

buy a sports car......

for 5200 plus 2200 for the conversion kit, you can probably buy a bigger diesel that will drop right in, like a 1hz or 12ht ( sorta drop in....)

hell you could buy a whole other truck.

As Sea Potato says spend the money on a diesel upgrade. Even better would be to sell the BJ70 for say $4k and buy a HJ61 in the $8k-$12k region and drive it straight away.
You can even get a nice HZJ 75 ute for those prices

The V8 takes a lot to keep cool in an aussie summer and the fuel consumption will be around 15mpg at the best.
Most of the diesels get better than 20 mpg
Even a petrol powered 60 series for $5k would give you some power and the price difference would buy a lot of fuel.
The Nissan patrols also have bargain status .
A bigger diesel 4wd may also negate the need for a trailer on camping trips.;)

Another thing to remember is the resale price of V8 petrol conversion sucks.
You would not see a cent extra for the $7-8K conversion cost;)

I know it sounds a little negative but thats the facts and most of us here are diesel fans:D

why would ANYONE want to stick a POS chev 350 into a Land Cruiser. seriously, if you want more power buy a different truck.

i find it confusing that you say you cannot justify $3000 for a turbo but you can jusify $7500 (base amount) to bastardise a poor 70 series.
my suggestion is similar to the above, either sell the unit and buy what you want OR keep the unit and buy a car for your HP needs.

if you have been diesel your entire driving life then find a M8 with a V8 Cruiser and go for a drive (and especially watch the fuel guage plumit as you are driving) oh , and $7500 is just the beginning of the cost to do the conversion, you stillhave cooling upgrades to do, exhaust work and it is my beleif that a crate engine does not come with all the assecories needed (carb or fuel injection, alternator, starter, distributor, manifolds, sensors or sending units, wiring harness. a PROPER V8 swap is well over $10,000.

<V8 cruiser...shiver>

I thought 8 k USD + don't justify the swpa .. it's pretty much money.

Here you can buyy a 1HD-T engine ( plenty of power ) with 3500 USD with tranny and all .. mabe a base rebuild and you have all that you need with no problems with gasssers .. carbs and spar plugs.

Don't get me wrong .. if you are involved in a competition .. it not bad at all .. but for reliability and long trips .nothing better than a diesel Toyota engine.

Rybec,
I once bought a BJ70 that had a 305 transplant, because the previous owner cooked the 3B and cracked the head. It was mated to the H55 with an adapter plate about 1.5 inches thick, to an aluminum bell housing for the 305. It is doable, and fit in there nicely, but just seemed odd to me driving a 70 with a gas-pot. It was quiet, and did have some jam to it.
Anyhow, good luck with the swap!
Cheers!

I did the conversion on my FJ75 a while back, used a dellow kit and it was a straight bolt up job. The diesel gearboxes have a longer input shaft (about 63mm longer I think) so you've got to get the right bell housing or use a 63mm spacer between the gearbox and bell housing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom