1985 2f engine pull and replacement thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_1636 (1).jpg

I need to grind here looks like

You read through the whole thread you added? I get it that some need to grind but I’d be leery and want to try the suggestion made by OSS.

Ok so your bellhousing does look a little different than mine and after reading that earlier thread it looks like there's 5 variants of the 3F bellhousing. Your cruiser must be early '85 because in '86 the H55F bolted straight up to its bellhousing (that's what mine did)

So verify with certainty that the transmission bearing retainer actually is hitting the bellhousing - and if so, grind it to fit as others have suggested in that thread.

That is a 3F Bellhousing like I've never seen before.

@Chad717 can you post a few more pix of that BH?

Last edited:
It was really this post from Onur that made me check it. My 60 is also a 4/1985 build.

Just a data point to this thread:

My 4/1985 build FJ60 has the "3F" marking on it but instead of being a direct fit, there was interference between the bell housing and the front bearing retainer on my new OEM H55F (33030-60450). I had to take a grinder to the bell housing to notch out the ear of the opening on the bell housing so that there was no interference between the front bearing retainer and the bell housing.

This lends a bit of credence to the number of different bell housing styles used during the entire run of the FJ60 for at least the US market.

Mine is a 5/85 and it has the BH that requires no grinding. Looks like you've got that unicorn transitional BH. Suppose it's time to break out the grinder. Does everything else line up?

So you have the double-cardan front Drive shaft?

Also, why is there so much grease on your trans input shaft?

I’m not sure about the driveshaft, I’ll take a pic and you can tell me.
Mine is a 5/85 and it has the BH that requires no grinding. Looks like you've got that unicorn transitional BH. Suppose it's time to break out the grinder. Does everything else line up?

So you have the double-cardan front Drive shaft?

Also, why is there so much grease on your trans input shaft?

Because I was following the FSM and I got way overzealous with the grease apparently 😝
189CE2BC-FA4F-4F5F-A7F7-18BF579C3B3B.jpeg

Don't slather the input shaft with grease. Just apply a very thin coat on the splines that you can't even see. Don't put any grease at all on the input shaft tip. It should be squeaky clean devoid of any oil contamination- same with the pilot bearing inner race.

Excessive grease on the input shaft will sling off when driving and contaminate the clutch friction surfaces - requiring you to replace the contaminated clutch --- again

Could you post a pic of the engine rebuild receipts so we can see what was actually done on your rebuild and get an idea of the cost as well.

Don't slather the input shaft with grease. Just apply a very thin coat on the splines that you can't even see. Don't put any grease at all on the input shaft tip. It should be squeaky clean devoid of any oil contamination- same with the pilot bearing inner race.

Excessive grease on the input shaft will sling off when driving and contaminate the clutch friction surfaces - requiring you to replace the contaminated clutch --- again

Thanks @OSS this is good info

So I made a little cardboard template and ground some "ears" into the bellhousing. With a little bit of wrestling and cursing the transmission slid in nicely. So happy to have this back together. Thanks for all the help on here guys!

C53C130D-3869-489D-88D8-207113FF017A.JPG
IMG_1691.jpg

So here is where I'm at. Engine and Transmission are back in the truck, and I am slowly getting things together.
IMG_1865.jpg
IMG_1866.jpg
IMG_1867.jpg

So today while I was putting back on some smog hoses I realized that my smog pump outlet (or what I think is the outlet) is pointed down towards the frame of the truck about 45 degrees off of where my old pump outlet was. This is a bummer because as you can see in the photo, my hose (the one with the clamps with blue on them) does not reach down to the outlet. Soooo... I've been looking for some silicone hoses to replace it, but it doesn't look like boost controller.com sells the flexible hose in the 7/8 size. But I'm gonna call them tmrw. I'm worried about the bends since the outlet is pointed so far down. Can anyone confirm that is the outlet and the other one (the one on the right) is the inlet that hooks up to the air cleaner? I've been pouring over the FSM, but the diagrams aren't super clear when you are looking at that area. Thanks!
IMG_1967.jpg

Hi @garfieldthecat. Yes there have been updates, but they kind of migrated over to my emissions thread Not another emissions thread! Ugh. - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/not-another-emissions-thread-ugh.1184978/ and my build thread Introduction and beginning of a (super slow) build thread - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/introduction-and-beginning-of-a-super-slow-build-thread.1008668/.

I did find some silicone hoses that worked for the smog pump, and I did get the truck through emissions, but only after leaning out the carb by putting in a smaller jet in the primary. 1.36. Currently I am just driving it and have started working on all the small things I want to get right!

Cool, thank you for letting me know. I'll read up further there. I am about to do the same type of project to my truck, with some of the same conditions (two young kids under 3). Your example inspires me to know it can be done.

@garfieldthecat haha, my wife would say I'm an example of how not to do it. Haha, she is very understanding, but you can see from the length between my posts, and slow progress how it's going. Some weeks I might get to loosen 4 bolts or maybe just glance at the truck as I walk through the garage. I've become ok with that. All the cool people and builds on here give me inspiration and keep me trundling along at my slow pace. It has been nice driving it actually for the first time in over two years. The kids like riding in it as well so that is a bonus. I just got some parts in though, so It is currently parked again as I dive back in. Probably will be for a while. Anyway, enjoy the kids first, mine are already 2 and 5!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom