1983 BJ40 not running please help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I recently bought a 1983 BJ40 Land Cruiser 3b (3.4 litre) diesel motor with fuel injection. 4 speed original transmission.

The previous owner said it was running really well last summer but they had an oil leak. Their mechanic decided to change the head gasket this spring and since then it doesn't seem to have sufficient compression to start. It turns over great, but it won't start.

We noticed right away it wasn't getting fuel so we put in an electric pump and fixed the fuel return that was cracked. Now it seems like we can get it to go on two cylinders but it smokes like crazy and just won't run.

My question is could there be something we are overlooking or something we should troubleshoot before we rip the head off and take a look? Could the pistons and sleeves be really pitted and washed out or do you think this could be a timing issue?

Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thank you.

For starters ditch the electric pump, the 3B run the return line back into the transfer pump inlet, so by adding an electric pump you are pressurizing the return line, Fresh diesel, change the fuel filters and clean out the water Seperator, prime the fuel up, crack the injector lines at the top and crank over until you have fuel coming out of the lines then go from there and see how it runs after that.

Hello,

I recently bought a 1983 BJ40 Land Cruiser 3b (3.4 litre) diesel motor with fuel injection. 4 speed original transmission.
Diesels are always with fuel injection. No other way to work.
We noticed right away it wasn't getting fuel so we put in an electric pump and fixed the fuel return that was cracked. Now it seems like we can get it to go on two cylinders but it smokes like crazy and just won't run.
Could the pistons and sleeves be really pitted and washed out or do you think this could be a timing issue?
No. Timing won’t change while changing the head gasget.

I think you only have to get all the air out. Maybe you have air leak in the primer pump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom