1981 FJ40 with A/C and broken radiator overflow (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I did a lot of searching and am aware that radiators that meet the criteria of my FJ are hard to come by, but I am trying to understand my options. Many of the threads on this subject suggest re-core's for existing radiators, but my issue is that I just purchased an FJ40 that already had JB Weld applied to the overflow on the top of the radiator that blew during my drive home. I would like to permanently solve this by replacing this radiator as I would assume another JB Weld will just break unexpectedly in the future.

My major questions:
1. Is the A/C unit in this actually stock? I haven't been able to source if its stock or third party, or what NEK is.
2. If not, then I should be able to use any 1980-fitting OEM radiator, does anyone have suggestions?
3. If yes, what are my options to replace this radiator with something that will work?

Here are pictures of the A/C and radiator, the hose was put back closely to where the break is so it may not be very visible in the photos.

Thank you!

fj_radiatorcap.png

fj_ac.png

My understanding is that new 40 radiators are still available from Toyota.

This is non Toyota A/C. You should be able to use the new radiator from Toyota for non A/C trucks.

This is non Toyota A/C. You should be able to use the new radiator from Toyota for non A/C trucks.

Thank you! Glad to know its not stock- that makes things much easier on my end.

not only is the AC not a Toyota, but I dont think your radiator is either

is the truck an import?

is the truck an import?

If you look at the picture of the radiator you can see a non US market air cleaner. I notice the picture in the avatar no holes in the front bumper. Thought all stock bumpers have the holes where the frame rails are?

If it is just the overflow tube that came loose from the fill neck then a shop should be able to solder it back in place for a lot less money than a complete new radiator. They may not even need to pull it from the car. The condition of the overflow tube has no affect on the function of the rest of the radiator providing it is in good condition. The shop would be better able to let you know.

Here’s my newly replaced OEM radiator from City Racer which I completed in August. It looks like a perfect fit for your application. I highly recommend it. Oh, and you could use a fan shroud too ;)

807A2E1F-FF98-4A05-8656-D1EFF21F20AC.jpeg

Hi, Most ac unit in the south were add ons. Most units made in Fort Worth. They had weaknesses in the hose crimps. Change to new fittings. Mike

I don't have a build thread, perhaps I should consolidate all my stuff in one place. I like the Architect's thread. This is just a 3fe from a 62 series.

That looks like it was born with a 3FE @Engineer8000 nice job!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom