1980 Fj40 Factory Nippondenso A/C Tech Question..Please Help!! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Last edited:
i called faxon today and they wouldn't verify their individual late model "40" diagrams contain a/c wiring. was told i could always return it. called my local dealer and was invited to come down and look threw their archives. i'll keep you posted.

FYI, I got a fj55 a/c manual found that it is different the the fj40. I do think some of the wiring is similar, but not exact. I cant believe it is that hard to find a factory a/c service manual for a fj40!

I'll have a look through my stash... As I recall I have quite a bit of 70s/80s A/C stuff hidden away somewhere.. Got to go away and vote in our national elections right now though.. Back in an hour or so...

Edit later .....OK. First thing I've found is a 1979FJ4#/55 wiring diagram with the A/C included ....

I'll see if I can attach the pdf here:

Attachments

• 1979FJ40FJ55withACwiring.pdf
    133.1 KB · Views: 781
Last edited:
And this stuff comes from the A/C installation instructions for the 1979 BJ40-series (so the FJ40 will be a little different in some areas):
1979ACwiring.jpg

1979ACwiringAmp.jpg

:beer:

As a refrigeration/AC person myself from a past life (and I am trade-qualified in it and actually taught it for about 12 years too to new trainees), the first thing I'd do is put a set of gauges on the system to confirm whether or not it has "lost its refrigerant".

And the 1985 Toyota AC Repair FSM makes this suggestion too (as of course have a number of earlier posters here in your thread):
InsuffRefrig.jpg

(NB. If enough refrigerant has been lost, you won't even see bubbles appearing in the sightglass.)

Losing all/most of the refrigerant is very common fault when a system hasn't been used much. Often this refrigerant-loss occurs from the seal (where the compressor crankshaft exits the body of the compressor behind the magnetic clutch) simply becoming dry (free of oil) from lack of use. But sometimes other things happen, such as a flexible hose deteriorating/perishing or a flare nut loosening itself.

And the main thing this lack-of-refrigerant does is to leave the low pressure switch permanently open so that the compressor won't run when you would otherwise expect it to (ie when the ambient temperature is warm/hot, and your AC controls are all turned on).

Let me know if you want more info from this 1985 FSM because it has a lot in it (including sample Toyota wiring diagrams, explanations of how components work, troubleshooting charts etc etc)..

please allow me to thank you tom for being the first person to come up with some accurate FJ40 a/c information!!!!
wow! now does anybody else have something to contribute? i was suprised to see a speed signal input to the controller.

I think we're not out of the woods yet.
Tom's first picture is correct (I think) when I look at the connectors a 4 pin and a 5 pin.
1979 AC wiring.jpg

control switch 40 series.JPG

But in Tom's second picture I see a different controller. Have a look.
1979 AC wiring Amp.jpg

amplifier 60 series.png

compare.JPG

So....... I'm confused :hmm:

Rudi

the photo of the controller face (88601) is for a fj40. the pdi worksheet is showing what i assume is a 55 or 60, right?
rudi did you look at the diagram in tom's pdf? less confusing?

the photo of the controller face (88601) is for a fj40. the pdi worksheet is showing what i assume is a 55 or 60, right?
rudi did you look at the diagram in tom's pdf? less confusing?

Yes, I did and what do you want me to see?
Mitchell schematic.JPG

A. That this is not an official Toyota schematic, it's made by a company named "Mitchell".
B. That the title of this schematic doesn't indicate 40, 55, 60 series. Just 1979 Toyota.
C. That there is a black wire to the Ignition coil which I can't find in the schematic posted by Tom.
But.... that same black wire is present in the 55 and 60 series diagrams that I have.
D. That there are 10 wires on the left showing that they go to the air conditioning control switch suggesting a 10 pin connector. But.... the top 2 wires (light blue-red) are double so it's basically a 9 wire connector which equals the 9 wire connector of a 60 series A/C amplifier. It doesn't represent the 5 and 4 wire connectors of a FJ/BJ40 schematic.
E. I found this diagram (and a bunch more) on the Internet and shared them with Tom.

So, please, you tell me what to look for?

Rudi

Being 1979 (if you can believe they've labelled it correctly) the wiring diagram in my pdf shouldn't have anything to do with 60-series (because it is a year too early).

And as for the BJ40 diagram, I can't even understand how the engine's oil switch is placed in series with the compressor clutch (bearing in mind that these switches open on rising pressure)....

On the diesel Cruiser, the oil pressure switch is used to tell the amplifier that the engine is running. The amp will not power the AC clutch if it is OC, and the OP switch would break the circuit if engine was stalled.
On spark Cruiser, there is a signal wire from ignition coil to amplifier to give engine RPM and proof of running.

On the diesel Cruiser, the oil pressure switch is used to tell the amplifier that the engine is running. The amp will not power the AC clutch if it is OC, and the OP switch would break the circuit if engine was stalled.....

That makes sense to me Jim

And this suggests Toyota made a mistake in placing the oil switch in series with the compressor clutch in this diagram then :confused:
1979 AC wiring (1).jpg

Here's another wiring diagram for you Rudi from the 1985 AC FSM...

I've split it into two separate images here (to try and avoid the detail becoming too small to see clearly) and hopefully we'll still be able to read it as one image (if I stack these images one above the other):
1985ACFSMa.jpg

1985ACFSMb.jpg

I found a bunch of AC diagrams in the Haynes manual. Here we go...
I had to redo all the scans in a higher resolution and then crop them out to make them readable. The Haynes diagrams are printed on grayish recycled paper so they were un-readable

FJ40 series USA & Canada 1979 / 1980
AC 40 series 1979 - 1980 crop.jpg

FJ40 series USA & Canada 1981 / 1982
AC 40 series 1981-2_crop.jpg

FJ60 series USA & Canada 1982
AC 60 series 1982 - crop.jpg

Rudi

Last edited:
And this suggests Toyota made a mistake in placing the oil switch in series with the compressor clutch in this diagram then :confused:
View attachment 944842

This is not Toyota doing but Nippon Denso. All the A/C service manuals that I have are made/printed/published by Nippon Denso.
Having said that, maybe it's not a mistake but maybe there is a 2nd oil pressure switch (NO)?

Rudi

This is not Toyota doing but Nippon Denso. All the A/C service manuals that I have are made/printed/published by Nippon Denso.
Having said that, maybe it's not a mistake but maybe there is a 2nd oil pressure switch (NO)?

Rudi

I think it is the very same oil switch that we (in the diesel section) are so familiar with Rudi..

Because these excerpts precede that diagram in the 1979 AC-installation FSM (MAC424):
OilSwitch1.jpg

OilSwitch2.jpg

OilSwitch3.jpg

And this is all published under Toyota's name ... but as you say, they propbably got it from Nippon Denso

And you'll notice there are errors in what's above too. (I don't think the word "remove" should appear in the middle illustration for instance.)

And you'll notice there are errors in what's above too. (I don't think the word "remove" should appear in the middle illustration for instance.)

I think it should read: Removed OIL PRESSURE SWITCH. The switch that was removed from the other side. Probably the d fell off.

If above story (or stories) is (are) true, (that the OPS is re-used for the A/C circuit) then that means that the safety function of the EDIC is lost.
But...... that OPS is a NC switch and the one in series with the compressor should be a NO switch.
Hmmmm, :hmm: something is clear as mud here.

Rudi

Time for us to sneak out the backdoor now Rudi....

We sown enough seeds of confusion (and succeeded in bamboozling ourselves in the process).

(For a time there I was even thinking that maybe the magnetic clutch was "energise to disengage".)

Time for us to sneak out the backdoor now Rudi....

We sown enough seeds of confusion (and succeeded in bamboozling ourselves in the process).

(For a time there I was even thinking that maybe the magnetic clutch was "energise to disengage".)

I agree with you Tom.

Happy driving :steer:

Rudi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom