1980 Fj40 Factory Nippondenso A/C Tech Question..Please Help!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I never got it working. It has to do with the factory emmisions being removed and now there is a missing piece to the circuit.

Troy -- did the wiring diagram for the FJ55 work for you for your 40 ? Running into same issue and just checking back to see if this worked for you ?

Troy, I no longer have it but I restored a 1982 fj40 tjhat was desmogged and that oem AC worked just fine.

I have been searching for years...impossible to find. There is one on Ebay that is listed as 81 FJ40, but I recently returned it to the seller as its not an FJ40 manual...its specific to the 60 and there are significant differences. For some reason he re-listed it as FJ40 manual again. It may have the info you need as there are similarities, but I found it so different from my unit it had little value

@austaviafj40

I saw that one but it had parts catalog in the title. Based on that and the high price, I passed.

I noticed that you have an 81 with factory air and emissions too.

Maybe you can help me out with pics of your vacuum routing diagram, the idle up solenoid and vacuum advancer?

Someone prior to me removed the vacuum advancer and my vacuum diagram sticker under hood is unreadable. I have an FJ60 carb with advancer to put on and just need to get it routed properly to the solenoid. The solenoid vacuum tube is currently routed to the vacuum octopuss.

Is there a possibility I've burned out my A/C wiring by fiddling with the heater blower motor? I used a test light on the heater blower the other day, as that wasnt working, but the AC fan was and if you pulled the heater fan switch it would turn off the AC although nothing would happen. Noticed a little smoke under the dash now the heater fan works and AC fan doesnt.... any ideas would be much appreciated!

I'll have a look through my stash... As I recall I have quite a bit of 70s/80s A/C stuff hidden away somewhere.. Got to go away and vote in our national elections right now though.. Back in an hour or so...

Edit later .....OK. First thing I've found is a 1979FJ4#/55 wiring diagram with the A/C included ....

I'll see if I can attach the pdf here:
Thanks so much bro hope it helps me get mine going.I added one can but take up to 34 ounces but my compressor doesn't kick in do not see another low pressure switch I touch power to the compressor works so hoping adding more fixes my issue.I not great at wiring at best of times so hoping this covers it. So kind of you posting !!!!!!
Time for us to sneak out the backdoor now Rudi....

We sown enough seeds of confusion (and succeeded in bamboozling ourselves in the process).

(For a time there I was even thinking that maybe the magnetic clutch was "energise to disengage".)
Thanks so much for posting it sure is helping me on my 1983

Is there a possibility I've burned out my A/C wiring by fiddling with the heater blower motor? I used a test light on the heater blower the other day, as that wasnt working, but the AC fan was and if you pulled the heater fan switch it would turn off the AC although nothing would happen. Noticed a little smoke under the dash now the heater fan works and AC fan doesnt.... any ideas would be much appreciated!
Sorry little late but is a fuse under the hood for a/c but sure you found it by now but thought maybe not so thought I say

Bumping an old thread to see if anyone has found the FJ40 Nippon Denso AC diagrams or manuals?????

Also, I confirmed with a few other Mud members with original ND factory air on their 1979 models, that they did not come with the carb idle-up solenoid or the associated VSV.

Those were apparently added at a later date. Perhaps 1981 as I have seen several 1981 and 1982 factory air 40's with both the VSV and idle-up solenoid.

Last edited:
This diagram may or may not have been posted here so, just to keep this thread alive I’m offering it up. It is for a 79 diesel and I believe most of it to be the same for 2F 40s. Obviously the oil pressure in the upper left is diesel only. Maybe something here is useful to an issue you’re trying to diagnose.
B91E82E4-ED20-4EAD-B05A-A1926D07ABFB.jpeg

I did recently work on one of those. If your connector looks like this then you can go by the wire colors on the drawing above, but you will have a 6 pin connector because the gas version will have a tack signal (black wire) in addition to the 5 that are on that drawing. I didn't get into the fan speed switch but it should match above. I hope that helps.

1657415568665.jpeg

I did recently work on one of those. If your connector looks like this then you can go by the wire colors on the drawing above, but you will have a 6 pin connector because the gas version will have a tack signal (black wire) in addition to the 5 that are on that drawing. I didn't get into the fan speed switch but it should match above. I hope that helps.

View attachment 3054909
Just curious, can you assist me in installing my ND unit into my 77 fj40? I have everything, but basically need "for an idiot" wiring diagram.

This diagram may or may not have been posted here so, just to keep this thread alive I’m offering it up. It is for a 79 diesel and I believe most of it to be the same for 2F 40s. Obviously the oil pressure in the upper left is diesel only. Maybe something here is useful to an issue you’re trying to diagnose.View attachment 3054456
I have been looking for this exact diagram for some time! Thank you for posting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom