1980 FJ40 Currently running B Diesel(80hp), Need New Engine Guidance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am located in the Eastern US and I am getting ready to pull my engine. I have been looking for a new motor. I was/am still heavily considering a 1kz, but I am not sure if it will have enough power for me. I like the idea of having a diesel, but I am not committed at this point. Mostly everyone I talk to, says that I should go the LS route. I would prefer to have a Toyota engine. Above all, I am concerned with fitment and HP. I am trying to find a motor that produces somewhere between 185-225HP. I currently have an H42(?) four speed and would like to upgrade to an H55F.
Any ideas on a reliable motor that mates with the H55F and produces 185-225hp; diesel preferred, Toyota preferred? I have looked for weeks for the perfect motor, but before I drop the money, I want to ask better educated folks.
Thank you.

I am trying to find a motor that produces somewhere between 185-225HP. I currently have an H42(?) four speed and would like to upgrade to an H55F.
Any ideas on a reliable motor that mates with the H55F and produces 185-225hp; diesel preferred, Toyota preferred? I have looked for weeks for the perfect motor, but before I drop the money, I want to ask better educated folks.
Thank you.

A 2F with fuel injection should get you in the range. If you towing a lot or climbing a bunch of hills could see a diesel. A good running fuel injected 2F would be an improvement over your current B engine. Might see if you can find someone local with a 2F to get idea before.doing anything.

I am located in the Eastern US and I am getting ready to pull my engine. I have been looking for a new motor. I was/am still heavily considering a 1kz, but I am not sure if it will have enough power for me. I like the idea of having a diesel, but I am not committed at this point. Mostly everyone I talk to, says that I should go the LS route. I would prefer to have a Toyota engine. Above all, I am concerned with fitment and HP. I am trying to find a motor that produces somewhere between 185-225HP. I currently have an H42(?) four speed and would like to upgrade to an H55F.
Thank you.

Love toyota diesels.

Toyotas Biggest diesel you can get (without EPA issues) in the US is the 1HD-FTE 6 cylinder. Stock it's 164HP 280tq, or if you can find the intercooled 200hp, 314tq,
Looking at $6,000 minimum for a used engine and who knows what issues possibly.

Everything below that drops power. Now you can build them up for more power, but there is always a risk ;)

The 1HZ makes sense in a 40, decent power, they still make them best parts availability. You can mildly turbo/intercool without much issue and scoot along just fine. I would slap a 1HZ in, bolts up to an H55, drive it then turbo/intercool if WHEN you want more power.

I have a 13BT, stock is 120hp, ~200ish tq. I'm turned up a little boost/fuel and it scoots my BJ74 (very similar to 40 in size, bigger/heavier) around fine. It's no LS by any means, but I can pull up to 80 no problem and pass easily. I prefer to stay at 65~68mph. The KZ tuned up a little would be fine as well in a 40.

The Cummins 2.8 looks really good, if you don't mind it being cummins. The price is anywhere from $7,500~$9000 plus the adapter which I think is $1,000ish then of course all the other incidentals in any swap. Brand new motor, diesel power...

@Woocha there’s a diesel section here:

A number of users that frequent the diesel section have first hand experience with diesels in different configurations, swaps, upgrades, tuning, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom