1978 FJ40 newbie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just inherited my dad’s 1978 FJ40. A little history on it first. We have had it in the family since 1980 and it’s in good shape. Can’t remember exact mileage but I know it’s under 50K. It has always needed to be choked from the start and needs it even more these days to stay running. It has sat for about 10 years. Where do I start? It came with factory soft top that unfortunately is in bad shape from storage. I have worked on various vehicle but not much experience with carburetors.

Questions:
Stay with carburetor or convert to fuel injection?
Will hard top fit if I can find one?
Where to get soft top?
What should I look for?

Last edited:
Congrats on your inheritance. Under 50K and in the family since 1980. Sounds like a real gem. Just remember it don't exist until we see the pics. The worst thing you could do to a machine like that is convert to FI. Sounds like a carb overhaul might be something to consider that is after you baseline by changing all fluids and doing a complete tune. Others here will guide you on the soft top. Welcome to the madness. Remember to post plenty of pics especially some vintage one of you and your dad.

Just take a few or many deep breaths before doing anything.

Also looking for rear jump seats for my kids to ride with me like I did with my dad.

dirtroadtops.com makes a GREAT replacement original style soft top. If you have all the bows and hardware, that will save some cash. Ask for Julie. (No connection just a happy customer.)

Wow! Congrats on the inheritance. My favorite year for the 40s and low miles to boot. Just awesome. (Wish I didn't hate the color...)

I'm far from a purist but I think it would be a completely wrong direction to fuel inject it. You have one of the nicer 40's in the country probably, nothing preventing you from getting it working properly, probably for less money and hassle with the carburetor.
Julie (dirtroadtops) for the steel frame and soft top.
Not sure where to get seats but search on here and you will find good options for front facing seats which is what I would install these days.

That's a gem. They're only original once.

JimC carb, Trollhole soft top. Get it running decent and start driving it. Make a to do list and start digging in.

I just inherited my dad’s 1978 FJ40. A little history on it first. We have had it in the family since 1980 and it’s in good shape. Can’t remember exact mileage but I know it’s under 50K. It has always needed to be choked from the start and needs it even more these days to stay running. It has sat for about 10 years. Where do I start? It came with factory soft top that unfortunately is in bad shape from storage. I have worked on various vehicle but not much experience with carburetors.

Questions:
Stay with carburetor or convert to fuel injection?
Will hard top fit if I can find one?
Where to get soft top?
What should I look for?

Your carb problem could be as simple as a non-functioning fuel cut (idle) solenoid on the carb. Frequently, on the emissions "computer" that controls the fuel cut solenoid, the cold-soldered connections to the wiring harness plug will crack, resulting in no voltage to the fuel cut solenoid. When this happens, the truck will not run (well or at all) without the choke. You can test this theory by supplying 12 volts to the solenoid (a temporary jumper wire from the battery will do) and seeing if your problem goes away. If it does, then you can just ground the wire that goes from the solenoid to the "computer". Or, you can take apart the "computer" and heat and re-flow the soldered connections.

I happen to have both stock original jump seats out of my (12/79 build) 1980 that you could have, if I can find them - they're in storage from a house move and I'm not sure I can get to them at present, but I will take a look around and see if I can find them.

I would be curious to know the complete model number on the plaque by the heater motor. While anything is possible never heard of the US getting a FST after 75. Specter Off Road at one time said 77 but 75 is all I have seen over the years. With barn doors it would have two piece ambulance doors. Have a better picture of the back doors. Late seventies was easier to special order a vehicle.

It'd be hard to turn down free jump seats! If you do decide to go forward facing, I and many others have been really happy with the Bestop Trailmax II rear seat. It bolts in with minimal drilling and flips up for storage. I'd also recommend the soft top vendor mentioned above.

I'd fuel injection in a heart beat, for ALL of the EFI advantages, then to keep the purist in the mud croud happy, you'd want to box up everything you removed so that it can be passed along to any future purist- - -easy deal.

Last edited:
Super nice rig! Have fun with it. I have a 76 and was considering fuel injection as well. Before dropping $1500 on a conversion I figured it was worth $150 to rebuild the carb I have. Turns out that a manual choke carb is pretty simple, and therefore pretty dang reliable once you’ve cleaned it up and replaced the 40 year old wear parts.

Or send it off to JimC or 65swb45. They both have a great reputation for getting an OEM carb squared away.

Like someone said above... make a to-do list and get to work!

Thanks everyone! That would be awesome chupacabra! I really want the jump seats like I had when I was a child. Always liked that look. I don’t mind paying something for them along with the shipping.

I’ll check on the soft top from Julie as well. After some thought I will probably try to get it running with a carb rebuild first. I’m not a fan of the color either but I’ll have to let it grow on me. I’ll get more pictures of the back when I get a chance.

I’m not a fan of the color either

There is nothing wrong with the color of baby poo - it will grow on you. If it doesn't, I will trade my rustic green '78 for it! :flipoff2:

It came with factory soft top

Would post pictures of what you have before buying a replacement top. Windshield channel, and snaps on the tub look aftermarket. The hinges are for hard doors not the soft doors on US model factory soft tops.

My guess is your model is FJ40LV-KCJA. The V stands for Van as in hard top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom