Builds 1977 FJ40 Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We finally figured out our alternator/battery charging problem. When I first took possession, my dad noticed a bare wire leading to the alternator. At the time we taped it up. Dad decided to unwrap it and inspect it further, and in doing so we found another wire leading to the alternator was broken. After replacing the fuse, everything seems good. Finally something went right!

We've moved on to checking some electrical issues and here is where we're stumped. First, my dash lights are not working. All I have is the right turn signal indicator. We took the gauge cluster out and checked the grounds and continuity and everything was good. We replaced the bulbs and reinstalled them and replaced the fuse. After this I got left and right turn signal indicators only, no dash or high beam. I also got running lights and taillights. I decided to replace all the bulbs in the cluster with LED's. When I did that, I'm back to only the right indicator. I then turned the headlight switch and as soon as I did, i blew a fuse. If I keep the switch turned fully clockwise, I'm ok. As soon as I turn it, the fuse blows. Do you think it's the headlight switch? How can I check it?

Anyone have any ideas on my dash lights?

We made some good progress over the winter months. Over the weekend, we put the roof back on and mounted the ambulance doors (this is the first time I've had them on properly). Prior to that we installed the door glass. I also removed the aftermarket fenders and installed the OEM ones I purchased. That helped with the body panel alignment tremendously. As it stands, I believe this is the most assembled this particular cruiser has been in a long time. I still have a list of things to do, but it is definitely drivable.

5-23-2020_1.jpg

FJ40_4Runner.jpg

One thing we noticed driving yesterday is the throttle is sticking. In the picture below, you can see the bracket connecting the throttle cable is rubbing against the brake master cylinder. Is that bracket OEM? I hate modifying OEM parts, but I think I should cut off the part that's rubbing against the brake master cylinder. What do you think?
brake master cylinder throttle.jpg

We've made some good progress over the past several months. Here are some things we've accomplished:

1) replaced the aftermarket fenders with OEM ones
2) painted the new fenders and repainted the hood
3) got the front end panels aligned, not perfect, but pretty good
4) mounted the ambulance doors. alignment not good due to tub issues
5) replaced the gas tank and hoses. added the grommet in the floor the fuel lines pass through
6) installed the OEM wheels and hub caps along with new tires.
7) replaced the front turn signals and tail lights with new OEM ones.
8) installed a nicer OEM steering wheel than the one I had
9) re-torqued the oil pan bolts to 85 in-lbs to try and stops some leaks. may have worked. I think the leak is between the pan and skid plate.
10) installed all window glass
11) replaced a lot of hardware (thanks Overland Metric)
12) spent too much money

IMG_20200819_174754.jpg

IMG_20200720_194717.jpg

IMG_20200722_194631.jpg

IMG_20200715_200833.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom