Builds 1977 FJ40 Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going to start my own thread on my FJ40 since I have lots of questions! For starters, here's my rig:

The top and ambulance doors were only temporarily installed for shipping.

So far, we haven't found too many bolts that were actually tightened, and there is a lot of missing hardware.

The spare tire carrier seems to be missing hardware since the latch kept opening when I drove it. Can anyone help me out with what I'm missing?

Another thing I noticed is that there is one rubber support under the driver side rear body, but nothing under the passenger side.

well for starters your latch looks all bent up!! the ball on the end should touch the tube not overlap it.. and there should be a spring there to keep it closed.

well for starters your latch looks all bent up!! the ball on the end should touch the tube not overlap it.. and there should be a spring there to keep it closed.

I've been looking for a picture showing what it's supposed to look like, but have struck out.

Nice looking 40. I bet they used some SAE bolts. The ultimate would be to go all metric eventually. There is member on here who is a bolt aficionado. That's who I'd buy from if I had a do over. @davework is his handle. his site—>Overland Metric | JIS Hardware

should be 4 cushions across the back.
Here's a body mount schematic from Marv Specter
AF3D0E51-81CE-4D80-A879-AF22D6A6F818.png

Re: your spare tire carrier - looks like the spring is there. I bought a replacement spring for my 77, but it wasn't the problem. Those two bolts through the tube can be loosened and allow adjustment of the bracket for tightening the carrier to the lock bracket. Better get another bolt for the lower carrier mount. That whole assembly and spare are heavy - you need all the support there you can get ;)

Nice looking 40. I bet they used some SAE bolts. The ultimate would be to go all metric eventually. There is member on here who is a bolt aficionado. That's who I'd buy from if I had a do over. @davework is his handle. his site—>Overland Metric | JIS Hardware

should be 4 cushions across the back.
Here's a body mount schematic from Marv Specter
View attachment 2013891

Thanks. I'm planning on checking out all the body mounts over the holiday. I'm starting to think it was slapped together.

Looks like you're in for some detective work. Obviously you noticed the rear doors need to be aligned.

If you ever want to ad the rear corner reflectors, I believe someone posted measurements of how far off the lip they mount. Believe up to 78 got them.

What's up with the lone bolt near top of drivers rear ambi door?

Looks like you're in for some detective work. Obviously you noticed the rear doors need to be aligned.

If you ever want to ad the rear corner reflectors, I believe someone posted measurements of how far off the lip they mount. Believe up to 78 got them.

What's up with the lone bolt near top of drivers rear ambi door?

Good catch. I hadn't noticed that myself.

I searched and searched for a good tire carrier latch as mine wouldn't stay latched. I ended up taking it completely apart and adding spacers, doing a little welding and grinding until it had all the play removed. If you look you can see some washers that I added to keep the latch from slipping like yours is doing. HTH
20190626_215142.jpg

20190626_215150.jpg

What's the story ?

You just bought it like these or it just got back from the body shop like this ?

My dad and I went through the boxes of parts I got from the previous owner. I need help identifying a few.

I also found a complete set of body mounts unopened.

However, upon further inspection, although there are body mounts present, there doesn't appear to be many bolts holding the body to the frame. We're going to do more inspection over the holiday. I'm thinking of replacing the body mounts, but not removing the body completely.

I've been able to spend the last few days going over my Land Cruiser and noticed a few more things I would like inputs or opinions on. First, I noticed there is no recess for the lower striker for the ambulance door. I'm assuming the rear sill was repaired or replaced at some point. It's also missing the weld nuts for the lower tire carrier mounting.

I also noticed the bed isn't welded to the wheel wells. There appears to be filler in the joint, but it is cracking and coming out. Is this normal?

The small bracket holds the windshield wash fluid resovoir. It bolts on drivers side fender down near firewall.

The longer piece almost looks like a windshield to roof header. If so, it is held up inside front of roof using rivets. It bolts to windshield. Perhaps a picture from different angle might help.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom