1976 FJ40 / 2F - Won't Start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good evening guys,

Have a 1976 FJ40 that's having a no start issue that's popped up out of the blue. Hop in, go to start it, and all I get is one *click* and that's it. Nada after that. No engine cranking. When I turn the key for a second attempt, nothing.

It's been about a month since I drove it last so I pulled the battery, threw it on the charger and tested it. Battery is putting out 900+ CCA's. Went to try and start it with the headlights on as I read that in another thread, got the same *click* and all the lights died.

Checked the starter and battery and they are properly grounded. What am I missing here? Thanks!

Good, clean, tight connection between the battery+ cable and the starter?

Good clean battery terminal connections?

You said grounds are good ( and clean/tight?).

Tap the starter solenoid with a large screwdriver handle or small ball peen hammer.

Try it again.

Ok if that didn’t work, run a jumper wire from battery positive (trans in neutral) to the small terminal on the starter solenoid - starter should turn over motor. If it does......probably the electrical portion of the ignition switch,poor contacts,worn out.

I believe the headlights going out when activating the starter could be a sign of weak battery, bad starter or bad connections.

does it start with a jump to the battery? (Shouldn't)
How about with the jumpers attached + to the solenoid and - to the engine block?

Thank you everyone for your replies thus far! Currently at work so I'll tackle these when I get back this afternoon.

does it start with a jump to the battery? (Shouldn't)

I tried jumping it over the weekend and it wouldn't start either. Will try again tonight with connecting the + to the solenoid directly.

Tap the starter solenoid with a large screwdriver handle or small ball peen hammer.

Try it again.

Sometimes the simplest advice is the best. After checking all the connections and getting ready to jump directly to the solenoid decide to tap on it again, with a little more persuasion this time.

Turned right over and fired up after some cranking! Starting regularly again but enough of an excuse to get a factory PMGR starter and swap it out when I get some time.

Thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom