2f engine won't start after backfire (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I made it running a few weeks ago.. just start from the first key turn....
but have an oil leak at the timing cover and side push rods cover
also the water pump leaks...
Replace all gaskets, and water pump, and fix the leak... BUT... I have re-installed the wrong 180-degree timing and have exhausts through the carburetor..
and exhaust explosion sound... ones...
After...I have re-install the distributor..
TDC #1 on compression, both valves closed (checked undercover)
The timing mark line on the flywheel is in the window, at least to the pointer.
The distributor rotor is pointing at #4
All plug wires are fully seated and pushed onto the plugs. I see sparks in the plugs (I only check #1 and 2)
Compression check 115 for each cylinder (I didn't trust the pressure meter from eBay I purchased, but it shows above 110... but it could be more).
Plugs #1-4 dry but #5 and #6 is wet.
Carburator has gas I see it in the window (but it turns orange/brown after a backfire) it is also below the middle. The fuel pump works fine.
After ten times trying the fuel color back to the normal color in the carburetor window.
I can only think about a vacuum leak or clogging the carburetor by backfire... ?? Any idea? What I forgot to check?

First, it'd be a good idea to prime your oil pump with a hand drill and a flat head screwdriver with the handle cut off. Spin it until you feel resistance and have some one check the guage to ensure you're getting oil pressure. Make sure to line up the oil pump slot with the flat tip of the distributor shaft and make sure it seats into the slot when you insert the distributor. The 2F manual tells you how to do this. When you insert the distributor, make sure the body doesn't rotate but the rotor should rotate from pointing from #4 to #1 as you insert it. Is your distributor cap numbered, and if so, once installed, the rotor should be pointing to the #1 wire connected to spark plug #1.

That's what I remember from when I did this about a month ago. That should get it running, then time it with a timing light, twisting the distributor until the pointer points to the BB on the flywheel (7 deg BTDC).

I have oil pressure a few weeks ago :

IMG_9950.JPG

The distributor seat dip in the slot I have checked a few times and ajasted if need it.

... make sure the body doesn't rotate but the rotor should rotate from pointing from #4 to #1 as you insert it.
from points 1 to 4 on the distributed cap?

Is the dist firing #1 at TDC #1 on comp stroke ? By your post it would seem it points at #4.
I would do a little gas in carb , see if it hits, if adding gas maually gets it to fire then take the carb off and service it.

Is the dist firing #1 at TDC #1 on comp stroke ? By your post it would seem it points at #4.
I would do a little gas in carb , see if it hits, if adding gas maually gets it to fire then take the carb off and service it.
It points to plug #4 at TDC #1 and the dist cap is labeled #1 there.

I wish someone else would chime in as it seems your engine is firing #4 cyl when it should be firing #1 cyl ? Does that wire go to #1 cyl ?

Sounds like you got dist in 1 tooth off.
Could well be, or just off too far one way or the other.
Think op is saying that rotor points at #4 sparkplug in the block and #1 plugwire. Like as pictured in the FSM.
Might help to know which dizzy it is, pics always help too.

It is working....
I basically re-do everything again.. and somehow it starts working
No idea what I did wrong last time
Maybe I missed something...

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom