1975 FJ40 with '71 engine: carburetor question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am recently a new owner of a 1975 FJ40 with a stock '71 engine in it. Long story short I am trying to get it to pass CA smog requirements and need to get a stock carburetor and VSV for it. It fails the visual inspection because the evac is not hooked up to the carburetor, it's not the stock carburetor, and is missing the VSV. Any help on where to find a carb and VSV for a '71 engine would be greatly appreciated.

Suggestions welcomed!!

I have 2 VSVs for a '71 around. No carb just now, though. Let me know if you're interested.

IDave

for the CA guys, is there an issue with having an older motor in a newer body/frame? I thought I read somewheres that you had to meet smog requirements for the newer of the two (in this case 75) and that an older motor almost never passed due to sniffer and visual differences.

My brother has a carb for a 71. It is a reman'd unit with very little use. It will need to be cleaned up, since it has had come gas residue in it for several months without being run. A full re-build should not be necessary, but it would not be difficult.

Let me know.

Thanks for the response guys. More comments are welcomed.

Woody - after meeting with an automotive referee I am required to meet the 1971 standards for the engine for smog but the 30 years until smog exemption attaches to the year of my vehicle, 75 in this case. ...still trying to understand all the requirements as this process is new to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom