1974 fj40 reverse switch- always open? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One day my reverse light didn't work so I went to the parts shop and bought a new one. Put it in and....... lights in all postions "on" and "off" in reverse!
Back to the shop and looking up in the book..... there are 2 models depending on the year.
One is NO (normally Open) and the other one is NC (Normally Closed). You can't tell the difference from the outside. It's printed on the box.
In my '78 BJ40 I needed the NC. The plunger was depressed (=open) in N, 1, 2, 3 and 4.
The plunger was released (=closed) in Reverse.
So plunger out = closed = "on"
Plunger in = open = "off"

you could always put a relay in circuit and operate that way...relay stays on during forward gear use and switches off for reverse, closing n/o contacts..completing the circuit and illuminating reverse lights.

But that would be if you were in the bush and miles from anywhere and really needed to be legal whilst reverse parking...

I have a 71 and put a new reverse switch in this weekend. Plunger out = lights off, plunger in = lights on. The way you described it (the other way around) is exactly how the brake light switch works.

so, nobody called Poser about this between 2005 and 2011 ? :lol:

This has Just happened to me too I oredered mine from Cool Cruisers thinking the Four speed box was the same as the three speed. ( I ordered the only one on the site). The Bugger is I ordered this over six months ago to have it delivered to the UK so my Mate could ship it to me in Indonesia. Well he didnt pay the cuistoms duty for that and some other parts in the same shipment , it got returned and I had to pay shipping again. Got back to Indonesia and the switch was the wrong way round - what a bummer :-(

What I cant believe is that toyota changed the way they worked being Normally closed that means you have to have a Relay to make it work!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom