1972 FJ40 Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently purchased a 1972 FJ40 from the original owner. It has minimal surface rust and is for the most part in original condition. I've found very useful information on this site and decided to join.
IMG_1516=2.jpg
IMG_1517_2.jpg

IMG_1516.JPG

Love the originality of your 40. Interesting cowl scoop. I'm not sure that I've seen one like it before.

Yes, original paint. The carb was changed to a Webber with electric choke (but they saved the original). The steering box and motor leak oil and the radiator has a couple of pin holes in the upper tank.
IMG_1562.JPG
IMG_1564.JPG

Very nice! Congrats on a great find. Speaking on behalf of all the ultra purists out there, If you fix anything, it's no longer original.

Just kidding. As for the bezel, it's a 50/50 shot to get it on correctly, but just seems way more than 50% are upside down.

Congrats! You are very lucky to find one with such good paint and void of rust.

I’ve never seen anyone drill a second vacuum port in a brake booster before. Obviously not the stock booster. Like the air scoop, kind of a unique mod.

Amazing survivor, have one as close to original! I see stancil Toyota out of placerville, a big time dealer back in the day! These rare survivors are only found on the west coast, they can sit outside for 30 years and not rust! This one was lovingly cared for and obviously garaged!! I am in norcal, where are you? Here is my 71!

2FD8051E-D716-4A8D-9D02-FB4018259111.jpeg

Nice truck! What are your plans for it? Also I have a 72 as well but mine has the 3 seat configuration with the evaporator. Do you know why yours is different? Welcome to MUD.

Nice truck! What are your plans for it? Also I have a 72 as well but mine has the 3 seat configuration with the evaporator. Do you know why yours is different? Welcome to MUD.
Dave,

Mine has three front seat sections as well. I plan is keeping it as a survivor with some mechanical upgrades. I recently went back to the "stock" (16") wheels with LT235/85/16 tires.

IMG_1608(1).JPG

IMG_1616.JPG

Wow, impressive. Nice find and good luck with it.

Was the roll bar an option? I have had two 1972's and neither had roll bars.

Wow, impressive. Nice find and good luck with it.

Was the roll bar an option? I have had two 1972's and neither had roll bars.
You can see the armrests hanging out in space from an incomplete installation.

You can see the armrests hanging out in space from an incomplete installation.
I was told the dealer added the roll bar. Nothing is hanging out in space. The armrests are attached via a bracket. The seats were moved a few inches to accommodate the roll bar.

IMG_1618.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom