1970 FJ40 parking brake problem (i hope) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone!

I searched for a couple of hours and couldn't find a post that addresses my issue.

I have a 1970 FJ40. I let my better half take it for a spin yesterday (ugggh) and when I tried to move it this morning it won't budge. I can put it into gear and bog the motor so I am thinking the parking break is stuck (hopefully). I tried releasing the shoes by turning the adjuster (counter clockwise) located on the back of the drum behind the transfer case. The adjuster will not turn at all. The transfer case is definitely leaking but I don't think that would cause the parking brake shoes to stick and I don't think its the problem (hopefully). The parking brake lever pulls freely.

I just need to get the girl into storage before winter kicks in up here in NV and will address the real problem in the spring (renter no garage).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hiya, i would take the brake off the tcase to free it and check the brake release line. You'll have to pound it off if it is really stuck anyways. If you don't have the time to mess with it, pull the driveshaft off and tow it to storage.

Regards, ty
:beer:

Hi tyama, thanks for the response.

Yeah I am in the middle of a move so dropping the drive shaft is probably the quickest way to get it into storage.

I was gonna put a breaker bar :bang: on the adjuster but I know how that'll end :doh:

Thanks again.

Can you put the transfer case in neutral? Whats it do then?

Can you move the drum at all? I'd suspect stuck wheel cylinder over the parking brake... I've never had a parking brake on strong enough that the engine couldn't over power it. Wheel cylinder is another story.

Re-read the op. If it's the parking brake, you've got a stuck cable. Try releasing the lever, putting it in low range, and driving it forwards then backwards a short distance.

I tried releasing the shoes by turning the adjuster (counter clockwise) located on the back of the drum behind the transfer case. The adjuster will not turn at all.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I think you turned it the wrong way.
Image-03crop.jpg

Rudi
Image-03crop.jpg

Thanks to everyone for responding very much appreciated!

I will try the suggestions posted, once the sun comes up and temps get reasonable.

I apologize for not responding back last night, I was up late packing a u-haul.

tango

iv seen the shoe bond to the drum but only when they were metal to metal ,the heat usually unbonds the pads from the shoes .4 low usually overides the ebrake and allows some movement .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom