Builds 1969 FJ40 named Mavis (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Quick question: I've found Toyota part 77100-60012 advertised online as a replacement. For between $574 MSRP and $380 at discounted Toyota dealers parts departments.

The pictures "look" like the right tank for a 1969, but some of the pictures are of obviously later period tanks.

Anyone have first person experience with that?

Also CCOT has a repop for $384, but they state it's for 8/69 to 8/72, and my rig is a 3/69. I'm not willing to gamble nearly $500 to find out it's the wrong tank.

Last edited:
Quick question: I've found Toyota part 77100-60012 advertised online as a replacement. For between $574 MSRP and $380 at discounted Toyota dealers parts departments.

The pictures "look" like the right tank for a 1969, but some of the pictures are of obviously later period tanks.

Anyone have first person experience with that?

Also CCOT has a repop for $384, but they state it's for 8/69 to 8/72, and my rig is a 3/69. I'm not willing to gamble nearly $500 to find out it's the wrong tank.
If you get some Redkote, you can re-seal that tank once you get the rust out, for around $20, and it will keep it from rusting again. I know a lot of people that will redkote a new tank to preserve it.
They sell Redkote at O'Reilly....

If you get some Redkote, you can re-seal that tank once you get the rust out, for around $20, and it will keep it from rusting again. I know a lot of people that will redkote a new tank to preserve it.
They sell Redkote at O'Reilly....
Problem with the tank wasn't rust, it was some sealant a PO used. (Probably to solve the leaks I now have) I have no idea if I even have that crap out really because of the internal baffles.

Problem with the tank wasn't rust, it was some sealant a PO used. (Probably to solve the leaks I now have) I have no idea if I even have that crap out really because of the internal baffles.
Acid dip and redkote would be my fix because it's cheap, but a new tank is not a bad investment.

Provided I can get the right tank.... I asked on the 40/55 tech thread about Toyota p/n 77100-60012 , but nothing but crickets so far.
I'm not 100% bit I think that snorkel tank was disco'd.

As far as the CCOT is concerned, I have no knowledge about that.

What a would be involved in putting the newr tank in place of the snorkel? Or the S10 tank under the body?

I'm not 100% bit I think that snorkel tank was disco'd.

As far as the CCOT is concerned, I have no knowledge about that.

What a would be involved in putting the newr tank in place of the snorkel? Or the S10 tank under the body?
Dunno about the S10 tank. Never heard of that. Will look into.

Multiple websites claim the snorkel tank is available, but their pictures often show both kinds which is confusing

What a would be involved in putting the newer tank in place of the snorkel?
Looks like a monumental PITA.

I talked to some folks and they think any snorkel tank will fit any snorkel year, with minor mods, year dependent.

At this point, I'm thinking of either acid dip/redkote or buying the snorkel tank and making it work. I can't believe I'm the only guy who has had this issue, and I guarantee I'll document I had to go through to get it done here.

Looks like a monumental PITA.

I talked to some folks and they think any snorkel tank will fit any snorkel year, with minor mods, year dependent.

At this point, I'm thinking of either acid dip/redkote or buying the snorkel tank and making it work. I can't believe I'm the only guy who has had this issue, and I guarantee I'll document I had to go through to get it done here.

The fuel tank is next on my list. I have an early style as well that's leaking and has some rust inside. I'll share any info that I come across.

Last edited:
Maybe try an old school radiator repair shop. They might be able to clean and repair it.

I went ahead and ordered the OEM tank from McGeorge. We'll see how it fits once it arrives. The hassle of cleaning and resealing the old tank, plus unclogging the pickup line from the last time someone tried to reseal it, (why does that installation have to be completely blind and inaccessible?) combined with the fact that Grammy's grandbabies will someday be sitting on it swayed me that direction.

I went ahead and ordered the OEM tank from McGeorge. We'll see how it fits once it arrives. The hassle of cleaning and resealing the old tank, plus unclogging the pickup line from the last time someone tried to reseal it, (why does that installation have to be completely blind and inaccessible?) combined with the fact that Grammy's grandbabies will someday be sitting on it swayed me that direction.

Did you go with 77100-60012?

Did you go with 77100-60012?
Yes, sir, I did.

I found a fleabay listing that had elaborate detailed pictures, including the box it shipped from Toyota in, which convinced me it's an updated, compatible tank, plus some reputable forum members chimed in and said it would work.

I will continue to update here though.

The hardtop is evidently healing itself. Between using the top to stack stuff on and jumping in and out of the truck to work under the dash, it is slowly settling down on the driver's side.

IMG_20230131_193306719.jpg

IMG_20230131_193321935.jpg

So, I just spent an hour looking for a part I was putting off installing because there were more important things to do.

Finally found it but decided to at least temporarily install parts like that in order to keep track of them.

IMG_20230131_204155760.jpg
Really dig these aviation style belts. Going to put them all around.

I have a cover for the rear hatch, let me dig around for it this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom