1966 FJ45LV restoration/buildup project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I forgot to look at the 65 to see if it has a gas tank shield. What is the guage of that metal? If I have to make one, what guage would you recomend? Should it be stronger than stock? This LV is definately not going to be a rock crawler.

And latstly, any tips on getting screws/bolts to come loose other than having to drill them out which would really be a PIA?

I have not even a clue where to start with the gauge of metal. 20ish? Maybe? I don't have a micrometer.

If you don't want to drill and tap I would deffinately use heat. Also this tool has a chance of working. http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs...&TID=101&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&PID=619506

HTH

Dave

I have not even a clue where to start with the gauge of metal. 20ish? Maybe? I don't have a micrometer.

If you don't want to drill and tap I would deffinately use heat. Also this tool has a chance of working. http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs...&TID=101&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&PID=619506

HTH

Dave

I have tried several impact wrenchs, they don't touch it, so I guess heat is next then break out the drill. As for metal guage, it is definately thicker than 20 ga. bc tthat is what is used for the body repairs. I will have to measure the transmission transfer case for thickness.

got 3.5 hours in today

and I had one of my best buddies there to help so we go some good work done. We got the tailgate stripped, although we still can not get it loose. We got the headliner out, all the glass out and pretty much every thing that was remaining on the truck off so we are basically ready to seperate the body from the frame. The pics don't look like much has been done, but it has been a lot of work to get her stripped. Rusted 40 year old screws are a pain. Finally had time to sweep the floor so I have included a pic of misc stuff that I pulled from the pile, just in case. Look at the pic and see if there is anything interesting or important.
clean floor and firewall.jpg
tailgate stripped.jpg
headliner removed.jpg

more 2

little fender skirts ? are in good shape. Funny thing, two of the headliner bows were screwed into some scrapes of the headliner wood which had been shoved into the space between the roof and secondary metal vs. screwed into the metal like they should have been. You would think that if a bow was a little too long they would have re- bent it or re-worked it vs. taking the lazy way out and just shoving some of the wood from the headliner trim into the crack and screwing into it. But, hey, it has lasted 40 years so I guess it was ok. ;) Maybe Toyota's quality control was not the same back then as it is today? :grinpimp:
center tailgate latch mech 2.jpg
fender step (1).jpg
right hl bow that was screwed into wood.jpg

bump

Does anyone have any experience with Stainless Steel brake lines. Are they recommended or is the regular steel version good enough? I have heard that stainless is hard to work with?

hey guys, anyone with any exp. with SS brake lines? I guess I could just go with the same as original. They lasted 40 years so they will surely last another and be easier to work than SS. Worked on the carb. for the 40 and some other small stuff. Bought a torch setup today so we hope to be able to get the tailgate off tomorrow. The tailgate is the only thing keeping us from seperating the body from the frame.
IMG_5351.jpg
IMG_5357.jpg
IMG_5364.jpg

5.5 Hours today with 3 guys

We got the body off the frame. It took two attempts. The first attempt we had missed two bolts so we lifted the entire truck up off the ground. Once we broke the last two bolts loose she came right off. Kudos to Matt for a great rotisserie design. It works perfectly. The body is amazingly balanced and spins very easily. Amazing how much crap poured out of the channels and fenders after a few spins. All in all, though, there does not seem to be any real surprises. Now I am even more excited about the floors we will be getting from Mike. There is plenty to keep us busy until they arrive, but I am sure I will be chomping at the bit for floors soon enough. I guess we really can’t work much on the rockers until the floors are in hand. The loader did a great job with the boom attached, it was barely a strain. I now understand, sort of what the two metal tube things that were pulled from the left and right rear quarters are for with regards to the gas tank venting. They vent tubes on the gas tank look like the were been abandoned long ago. I will need some clarification on this, although, it is probably in the manual, which I have not studied much. RTFM. :grinpimp: Also, got the carb parts clean (easy), now all we have to do is remember how it goes back together (hard). I took tons of pics, hopefully we will not need them. Anyhow, I will let the pics do the rest. Going out of town for a long weekend with the wife. Our 9th wedding anniversary is officially today, Friday, and my Bday is Monday, so we are heading to the Lake w/out kids, yea, and hope to do nothing but veg.

Oh yea, the vent rubber showed up today. I have encluded some detail pics for all to view.
carb parts.jpg
carb parts (1).jpg
drilled hinges.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom