1966 FJ45LV restoration/buildup project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi Chuck, no updates. I continue to procure parts here and there along the way. I am getting close to finishing my 356 and once it is out of the shop I plan on getting back on the last bits of metal work, which is not very much. After that I will either finish it myself or send out to a fellow Mudder to finish if funds allow it. This would be my preference because it would get done much faster if he does it. We will just have to see how things pan out with regards to Covid-19, elections and the resulting business climate.

Please post a pic of your 356, this is indeed a dream car for me! Anxious to see some LV pics also of course!

Please post a pic of your 356, this is indeed a dream car for me! Anxious to see some LV pics also of course!

Here are some pics. I have done all the metal work and getting ready to spray undercoating.

Edit: you can see my LV in the background

Here is my build thread:

42462705-0F78-4C9F-9CC0-AEF8FC6D4D4E.jpeg

DDEB5585-327B-46EF-8618-0221BF5C17F4.jpeg

04DCCF72-C514-4253-BC17-7F313FCEA5E0.jpeg

8279C907-44D9-458E-B9DC-1BCC7CC546D8.jpeg

I have made the tough decision to sell my LV so I can focus on my other projects. This was a tough decision given how much work I have already done and how close I am. All the really tough work is done. If you have followed along, you know that I don't take short cuts. This is truly a "rust free" LV. Almost all metal work is completed, engine rebuilt, hardware has been replated, etc. etc. The only metal work remaining is the tailgate and front fenders. Both easy items to complete. As for pricing I have not figured that out yet. I would love some input from you guys. Once I decide on a price I will list it. I would love to see this truck go to another Mud member, but ultimately, the market will dictate. Though I would be willing to give a Mud member a better price if I thought they would honestly finish the project and not simply flip it. This is not a distress sale so I have time. Thanks guys.

I have made the tough decision to sell my LV so I can focus on my other projects. This was a tough decision given how much work I have already done and how close I am. All the really tough work is done. If you have followed along, you know that I don't take short cuts. This is truly a "rust free" LV. Almost all metal work is completed, engine rebuilt, hardware has been replated, etc. etc. The only metal work remaining is the tailgate and front fenders. Both easy items to complete. As for pricing I have not figured that out yet. I would love some input from you guys. Once I decide on a price I will list it. I would love to see this truck go to another Mud member, but ultimately, the market will dictate. Though I would be willing to give a Mud member a better price if I thought they would honestly finish the project and not simply flip it. This is not a distress sale so I have time. Thanks guys.
I can understand how difficult it can be to make this decision since you’ve had the truck since 2006. You’ll likely get better value estimates if you write up what work/repairs it needs to be completed, parts still missing if any and update with recent pictures. Going backwards in this thread the most recent pictures were from 2012 (other than the one behind the 2 Porsches).

Wait! What??? If it were me, I'd be inclined to sell it as a project (what BaT was originally intended for) on bringatrailer.com. It'll increase your exposure and broaden the audience. Coming up with an agreed reserve might be a challenge, though.

Pics are all in the thread in great detail. Not much if anything is missing. Truck was complete and in good shape other than the rust when I got it. The few parts that might have been missing have been procured over the years. Most of these parts are long since NLA Unobatianium. I agree BAT is probably the best way, but wanted to mention it here first. Probably most of the guys that were following along when I was doing all the work have faded away.

When I first read through this thread roughly 5 years ago, I recall being blown away by your metal-working skills. Same impact again when I just re-read it. Your fab skills are incredible, priceless. Sorry you're unable to see your dream realized on this one. Best of luck with the sale.

When I first read through this thread roughly 5 years ago, I recall being blown away by your metal-working skills. Same impact again when I just re-read it. Your fab skills are incredible, priceless. Sorry you're unable to see your dream realized on this one. Best of luck with the sale.
Thank you. I’m not finishing it because I can’t. I’m not finishing it because I have realized that because we live in the city, once finished I would likely never drive this truck. As it is I barely drive my 1982 FJ40 that only had 43K on it when I bought it from the owner. He owns a Toyota dealership and kept in his barn. I think it needs to be in the country somewhere or go to someone who will actually use it. Sadly it will probably go into someone’s collection and not get used much.

I drive my LV around the city all the time.……

it’s just like any other vehicle IMO.

Let me know what your ballpark is. It may be time for another project.

I drive my LV around the city all the time.……

it’s just like any other vehicle IMO.

Let me know what your ballpark is. It may be time for another project.
Where do you live? I live in Atlanta and the traffic is so bad it’s always stop and go. Add to that the heat and humidity during summer coupled with no AC and you have an uncomfortable driving experience. My 40 is like an oven during the summer. I don’t even drive my AC less Classic Porsche in summer except at night. I would love to keep this in my collection, but I just don’t think it will get used much. I don’t like having car/trucks sit. They need to be driven. I also have 3 other FJ40’s in addition that don’t get driven either. Selling rose also. One is a 1972 FST that is super original and unrestored. Maybe I will sell everything else dirt and let the LV be the last to go. Maybe I’ll change my mind.

I use the LV as a “date night” truck. It probably gets out 5-10 times a month when it isn’t summer because as you said it is a bit uncomfortable when the temp gets much above 80.

I use the LV as a “date night” truck. It probably gets out 5-10 times a month when it isn’t summer because as you said it is a bit uncomfortable when the temp gets much above 80.
That’s a nice thing, but my wife is seriously averse to gas and oil fumes. As a result she rarely drives with me in any of my classics. Her loss.

The 356 is better than a 401k!!! I remember when they were 10k all day long!( unless it was a speedster or 4 cam. Hell, every model of porsche has skyrocketed in the last 10 years! Happy to have bought an 87 carrera right before the crazy spike! I sold my 77 930 turbo to buy a house for 15k!!! Back in 98! Now its a 200k car!! But my house is worth way more, so I guess it was a good call, but I sure miss that rocket ship!!

The 356 is better than a 401k!!! I remember when they were 10k all day long!( unless it was a speedster or 4 cam. Hell, every model of porsche has skyrocketed in the last 10 years! Happy to have bought an 87 carrera right before the crazy spike! I sold my 77 930 turbo to buy a house for 15k!!! Back in 98! Now its a 200k car!! But my house is worth way more, so I guess it was a good call, but I sure miss that rocket ship!!
I feel ya. I sold my 73S to buy our commercial office building in early 80’s. It was in perfect condition. I got $30K, which I thought was “all the money”. Like you our office is worth way more than the car would be today. I never thought I would own another. One day I walked into a local classic car showroom and there it was, another 73S for $20K more than what I sold my old one for. I snatched it up fast and the rest is history. Hope to never sell it. As for the 356, similar story, thought I had missed the window w prices crazy. I got lucky again and found an amazing car that was super original and unmolested, just needed a little TLC. Yes, I am one lucky guy. Happy Holidays to everyone.

I guess that is my dream of my LV and 40 series. I hope to restore the LV with modern drivetrain with a 2uz or something similar with ac and comfortable seats like the farm fresh build on here. Then drive it around town and trips. I think even the f/2f can be outfitted with a sniper and catalytic converters to get rid of fumes. Seems like most fumes are leaky gas tanks, lines, or misadjusted carbs, poorly routed exhaust. I do enjoy my new diesel f250 with all the bells and whistles (probably wouldn’t own it except for work and boat, but I do like a diesel) but there is something about classics that appeal to me. I hate most modern cars and the prices they are asking for them I can build what I want and keep it running. Lastly for me there is something about using God given talent or learning new skills to create and enjoy a sort of artistic outlet. We live in a plastic throwaway society where everything is made in China. Craftsmanship seems to be fading away and I’m going to hang on a little longer, learn from old timers and keep my junk running and avoid the electric vehicle as long as I can…might as well do it in an LV. Just my .02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom