Builds 1965 FJ45lv build up/resto thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Matt-

How did the stud welding and pulling of the area above the door pull go? Were you guys able to get it fairly closeto original?

Matt,

Just saw this tread today...I was busy yesterday. Glad to hear everyone is ok and damn that had to be really freaky to watch. Sometimes things like that make you realize our time here is short and need to be wise with it. I know I would not have been able to work on the cruiser after that.
Be safe out there. :cheers:

Was that caused by touch n gos from the lake surface? Watched that a few times and always thought it'd be pretty easy to endo.

Rat70Fj said:
Was that caused by touch n gos from the lake surface? Watched that a few times and always thought it'd be pretty easy to endo.

No, that aircraft impacted the water basicly vertical, slighly right wing low, at approx. 60 to 80 mph.

The only reason it's sitting back like like that is because is tipped back right after impact.

Matt

Ground Up said:
Matt-

How did the stud welding and pulling of the area above the door pull go? Were you guys able to get it fairly closeto original?

Yea, pretty close. I guess everything we do is really close, but we can only get it so close and we have to go on with body filler from there. That inner door was pushed in about a 1/2" to 3/4". My buddy stud gunned it out, but there is always going to be that little wave to it. I would say the body filler in that are is about 1/16" at the thickest point.

My friend has been doing this a long time and is pretty good at it. He told me that if you were doing a show car and had a brand new part, you would do the same thing to make sure you had an absolutely straight part.

Ok course in my case I have to do this since there basicly isn't a straight panel on the whole thing. I'm not against body filler if done correctly, and I think this is as thin and as good as it's going to get. Hell, probably going to be straighter than when it came out of the factory in 65 ;)

Matt

Been on vacation and just got caught up on the thread.

I sure hope your friends come through the crash ordeal OK. At 80 mph into water it's hard to believe they survived! That plane is demolished! Lucky they were so close to good help.

Just wondering, have they determined the cause of the crash yet?

Excellent work on the cruiser and the house! Is that a transit you used to lay out the retaining wall?

Coolerman said:
Been on vacation and just got caught up on the thread.

I sure hope your friends come through the crash ordeal OK. At 80 mph into water it's hard to believe they survived! That plane is demolished! Lucky they were so close to good help.

Just wondering, have they determined the cause of the crash yet?

Excellent work on the cruiser and the house! Is that a transit you used to lay out the retaining wall?

The FAA was coming today to take a look at it, interview myself and other witness's. We/I already know why it crashed. I don't want to say anything here about it though. I realize probably no one here cares or has anything to do with it, but I just don't feel right saying anything about it. I will say this, if there are any pilots reading this....keep your airspeed and altitude up especially in a steep turn, you know why.

If you would have seen that thing go in, you would not have believed anyone lived, it still amazes me! It went straight in basicly like a lawn dart.

Yes, that is the transit I used for the retaining wall. Dewalt Laser transit.

Matt

I am relieved to hear that the people in the plane are going to make it. I had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago when I watched a mini van flip 8 times right in front of me, we were going probably 85 mph. They were moving to CO and there was all sorts of stuff flying out of the the van. It made me sick to think of the fate of the people in the van but everybody lived. I know what you must have felt. Thank God that everybody made it.

Drum

Also, it has been a ton of fun following your build here in the forum, thank you for sharing it with us

majanrk said:
I heard a news report on a local radio station this morning. They were interviewing someone who aided in the rescue. Was that you or your buddy by chance?

No, I think it was a guy by the name of Don Johnson who lives up there. He got there a minute after we got in the water, he took a ton of pics and had emailed them to some newspapers and TV stations, seemed kinda odd?

Since you asked and now it is public knowledge, one of the family members of the victims emailed me this link. It's from a TV station down in Minnepolis I think?

http://kstp.dayport.com/viewer/viewerpage.php?Art_ID=163449/

I'm the guy in the yellow Dewalt shirt.

I guess it's getting more press in the metro area than up here?? Local paper called today and talked to me a bit. There going to run a local deal in next weeks paper with all 3 of us that were involved.

Matt

Rat70Fj said:
You got some good press there!

I guess, wasn't really looking for it, but that's ok. I would have never known about that story, but one of the family members emailed it to me. There are a few discrepencies in that story, but that's usually what happens with the news, but I would say 97% accurate.

I didn't care for the leader comment. There were basicly 3 people involved that were in the water gett'en it done, I was just 1 of 3. We did nothing that anyone else wouldn't do.

Doesn't really matter anyway, I've talked to the victims familys daily since it happened and it sounds like both are going to make it, but not without some serious time for recovery. Both have been in surgery everyday since the accident and have a few more days to go, and then more surgerys over the next few months on both. In the end, that's really all that matters, they are going to live and live relatively well after there long recovery.

Needless to say, very, very, very lucky!

Matt

Last edited:
So you're the rescue leader Matt! Good show!

Those cordless chop saws a damn handy sometimes..... :)

Got up to my buddy's place tonight and got in about 3 hours of work on both passenger doors again.

Took 2 pics, but only 1 turned out? Not much to show anyway, just ureathane priming and blocking out to 80 grit on the inside and out of the doors. Both doors look pretty straight right now. Still more block sanding to do, but were hoping maybe to have those doors back on and that side roughed out by tomorrow.

Well see, very time consuming work, but this is where the rubber meets the rode so I want to do it right.

Matt
MVC-001F.JPG

Got back up to my buddy's place this morning around 8 and the plastic started flying shortly after I got there :)

Pics of todays action. I actually had the wife up there all day today helping out, but no pics of her. More ureathane primer sprayed on the passenger doors and sanded out. Also filler in both door jams and sanded out. The jam thing probably wasn't needed, but I just wanted it so that when the doors opened the jams looked as good as the outside.

We both worked on that rear quarter, took some time to get that straighted out. Lot more hammering after the first guide coat, but quarters are as straight as an arrow now :) I would say the filler overall on average is about a 1/16" thick on that quarter. The filler shots might look a little brutal, but there not to thick at all. It's just that's what was needed to get that panel straight again. As I've said before, might be straighter than when it came out of the factory?

Plan is to head back up tomorrow morning again and start tackling the other quarter.

Matt
MVC-001S.JPG
MVC-002S.JPG
MVC-003S.JPG

more
MVC-005S.JPG
MVC-006S.JPG
MVC-007S.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom