Builds 1965 FJ45lv build up/resto thread (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

miletwo said:
The wiring connection block in #2049 just below the relays... did that come with your harness kit or did you buy that seperately? I need something like that for my FJ55 Tailgate... mine crumbled when I pulled it out.

Didn't come with the harness, got it at Radio shack.

I believe the technical term is, "barrier strip", they come in 4, 6 and 8 position, single and double rows. The one I have in the pic is a double row.

I believe I payed around $2.50 for that one?

Matt

FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!

Well, after owning the lv for a little over a year, building a motor for it approx. a year ago and hauling it around for about a year.....it finally happened.......

The motor was finally started this evening ;p

Got home this evening about 6 pm, about an hour before my mechanic buddy got there. I installed my filler neck with a piece of 2" coolant hose (sorry didn't get a pic), also installed the 1/2" fuel/vent line, got it all clamped in. Dumped in about 5 gallons of fresh fuel, installed 2 new fuel filters inline, 1 before the fuel pump and 1 after. I had flushed out this tank a few times when it was out with water, but I knew there was going to be a lot more rust coming out over the next few months.

My friend showed up around 7pm and we both got to work. Topped off all the fluids, coolant, oil, tranny fluid. He was running plug wires and some other misc. things while I was stripping and soldering a few more terminals we needed to start. We had a couple set backs, one of relays was wire incorrectly and that took about a half hour to figure out. But, after a couple hours of work, we finally turned it over.

Took about 15 seconds for the fuel to fill the line all the way from the rear tank to the front, I was watching the clear fuel filters. It popped a couple times and fired right up. My buddy had to do a little tweaking with the distributor once it started, but it ran awesome!!

We actually opened up the garage door and pushed it outside so that we could run it for a while. Once outside he adjusted the carb a little bit, it just sat there and purred like a kitten, it was great! The whole time he was tweaking on the carb I was looking underneath it for leaks or anything out of the ordinary, nothing. Since we aren't done wiring and have no gauges, we ran it for about 10 minutes. He was feeling the coolant hoses the whole time to make sure it wasn't getting to hot and he said he wasn't worried about the oil presure.

Needless to say it was a great feeling to hear it run. Since I've owned the vehicle I've never heard a motor run in it, let alone seen it move??

My buddy can't come out tomorrow night and I have to work Friday night and all weekend, so not much is going to get done. He did give me a few things to do......I have some wires that need soldering, shrink wrapping and need to be hooked up. He also said to get my drive shafts hooked up, that will take me a few minutes since there painted and ready to go.

Few other little things that should keep me busy for an evening or 2, but once those things are done I can shift it into gear and watch it move under it's own power :) :) :)

Matt
Mvc-011s.jpg
Mvc-013s.jpg
Mvc-014s.jpg

more
Mvc-015s.jpg
Mvc-016s.jpg
Mvc-017s.jpg

last 1
Mvc-018s.jpg

Getting my cruiser started for the veryfirst time was soooo cool. even though the fuel pump was bad and it would only run about 15 seconds. but just hearing it, even though it was waaay out of tune and running horrible. jsut knowing that it was the first motor ive ever built and it was successful. i know that exact feeling. congradulations :cheers:

I have one question. Please don't take this as a knock to the amazing work you have done. I am sure you have a reason.

Why, with all the detail everywhere else not go Fuel Injected? I know you won't need it for off-roading angles. I am guessing for simplicity, maybe cost? Just curious.

Good GOD this thing is going to turn out nice!!!

I can't go a day without looking for an update on this thread.

green73 said:
I have one question. Please don't take this as a knock to the amazing work you have done. I am sure you have a reason.

Why, with all the detail everywhere else not go Fuel Injected? I know you won't need it for off-roading angles. I am guessing for simplicity, maybe cost? Just curious.

Good GOD this thing is going to turn out nice!!!

I can't go a day without looking for an update on this thread.

Mainly.....$$$$$$

Matt:CONGRATS!
It sure is a great feeling to fire off a fresh one.
If you ever decide to go EFI, a computer, TBI and the rest can be had from your local junkyard for very cheap.

Woo-hoo! Nice work mate!

alan

Glad to see it started right up for you and ran good Matt. Hopefully mine will do the same thing one day soon.

Congratulations. This is a very impressive project

Not a whole lot done tonight. I got home from work a little late and I think I was still riding a little high from the last night, so I was a bit lazy. I did manage to get a couple things done.

Got both my drive shafts installed. Also put the front bib back on so I can start wiring lights. Before that I put my new Toyota grill emblem on, looks sweet. I had a few wires in the dash my buddy wanted me to get soldered up and shrink wrapped from last night. He had a couple temporary things and wanted those taken care of for good. Few other misc. wire things, but not much. Couple hours work not trying to hard ;)

On another note, question about the marker lights below the headlights. I'm 99.9% sure that there on when the headlights are on. But, was there a secondary position on the switch for parking lights?? I didn't think so and wouldn't think so, but wanted to ask? I would just assume they come on with the headlights?

Thanks, Matt
Mvc-001s.jpg
Mvc-002s.jpg
Mvc-004s.jpg

last 1
Mvc-005s.jpg

it was probably mentioned earlier in the thread, but where can i get a gear shift lever like that. is that aluminum?

beaufort-fj60 said:
it was probably mentioned earlier in the thread, but where can i get a gear shift lever like that. is that aluminum?

I have the 12" for the 700R.

http://www.lokar.com/

Matt

Firetacoma said:
Usually you can turn the marker lights on seperatly from the headlights but they also come on when the headlights come on.

That's what I'm familiar with on newer vehicles, even my 77 FJ40. Just wondering if the lv's had that option in the headlight switch, I don't think so, but not sure?

I am using the headlight switch out of the 79 FJ40 I have, so I think the switch is capable of it. Although the EZ21 harness I have does not have a wire labeled for parking/marker lights.

I may have to run another wire from the headlight switch to the lights up front?

Thanks, Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom