1965 FJ40 Not Running For Long (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello friends,

Recently my 1965 FJ40 has started having issues with running properly. It will start up and allow fuel to go into the bowl (SD-40) and I can see fuel pumping through a clear fuel filter. After the carb is full, it then continues to idle until the fuel burns out of the carb (no more fuel being seen through filter either). At this point, the fj stalls and the bowl is empty. Now with the vehicle off, some fuel will return into the bowl (I’m guessing the fuel pump has a slight vaccuum effect in the lines). I can start the fj again and the repeat the process over and over.

Things I’ve tried,

1. When I purchased the fj it had an in-line electric fuel pump. I replaced it with another in-line fuel pump (with no resolution) and now rebuilt my factory fuel pump and have the exact same results.

2. I’ve rebuilt the carb in fear that the inlet fuel needle may be sticking, but even after replacing inlet needle/spring/seat it’s doing the same thing.

3. Lastly, I’ve run the fj with the gas cap open thinking there’s some sort of vaccuum preventing fuel from moving after a short time.

The fuel looks clean, nothing gross coming through the filter. I have a video of the process but It’s too large to attach.

Next step would be to blow fuel lines out and consider fuel tank contamination issues.

Please if anyone has run into this issue I would gladly listen to ideas. Pretty stumped at this point.

Thank you!

@bhsdriller You were right. I ran an external gas can and it ran perfectly. So then I cracked the fuel line right at the gas tank and not a drop of fuel came out…. I stuck a drill bit into the gas tank bib and a dirt chunk fell out along with a waterfall of fuel. It didn’t look like rust but who knows what particulate or where that came from. Back up and running even better than before! Thank you!

@jembourbe Are you suggesting I give it a proper name? Or did I violate some “fj” etiquette? From this day forward little Jemy will be its name. In your remembrance.

@jembourbe Are you suggesting I give it a proper name? Or did I violate some “fj” etiquette? From this day forward little Jemy will be its name. In your remembrance.
Since 2007, when someone says "FJ" it brings to mind the FJ Cruiser. The Land Cruiser Etiquette Police (LCEP) would prefer that you say "40" or "40-Series" to describe your vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom