14mm 6 point long handle box wrench (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.sdsysdesign.com
OK, so I have been searching all of the internets and world wide webs trying to find a 14mm 6 point long handle box wrench with no success. I don't need a ratcheting type, just a plain old fixed box wrench with a longer than 8" body for some extra torque.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I don't think I've ever seen a 6pt version of that, but a few, including Snap On make the 12 pt version. Usually come as a 12mm/14mm

6pt wouldn't make any sense to me as you'd have to swing the end of it quite an arc with a 6pt vs a 12 pt. I have the snap on and Mountain which is a long-handled ratcheting.

I don't think I've ever seen a 6pt version of that, but a few, including Snap On make the 12 pt version. Usually come as a 12mm/14mm

6pt wouldn't make any sense to me as you'd have to swing the end of it quite an arc with a 6pt vs a 12 pt. I have the snap on and Mountain which is a long-handled ratcheting.
Here in the northeast we learn very quickly that 12 point anything just rounds off bolt heads.

Proto, williams, wright, Snap, Mac, gear S&K and so on all makes 6 point combos but not in a long pattern.... Though S&K make a "long pattern" but I dont think its much over the 8 1/2 inch OAL. I have a couple of the "Spline drive" extra long gear wrenches and I have yet to round off anything, and my rigs all have lived entirely in the NE, upper mid west and Montana, those long handles break fasteners more often it seems.

Why not just take an old crapsman 6 point in the size you want, lop the open end off and weld a length of appropriate bar stock to the end end to get to the length you need

LOTS of great options out there in the 12point flavor many of which bite in a lot better due to some fancy tech and machining practices to help keep the NE patina from being so rounding

If it was me, I'd be seriously considering using vicegrips/a torch/a sawzall/etc if I thought the nut/bolt head was too hard to get at for a socket, too likely to get rounded off by a 12-point, and needed too much torque for a shorter wrench. Get the damn thing off by any means necessary, throw the resulting fragments in the scrap pile, and replace it with new hardware which will handle 12-point box wrenches.

That, or figure out what else I can take off to get a 6-point socket on the offending hardware.

there is usually a reason why you can't find easily odd stuff. Tools are usually sized properly for a purpose. In this case, I suspect the lack of choice may be because having a long handle on a small bolt or nut tool is likely to result in something snapping off due to the resulting disparity in torque applied and fastener strength.
Anyway, it seems like there are several other options that should solve the problem.

also in a more traditional combo wrench almost 9 in long

this is a 12 pt but probably one of best wrenches to work on a Toyota with, you can disassemble at least 50% of any Toyota with this wrench. snap-on offers the same thing at a similar price

I was looking at the Mac Tools long ratcheting flex end ratchets, but can't afford them. I'm waiting for the Carlyle CHT RWLBFL5M to go on sale at Napa, maybe next month. This tool is also made by Gearwrench and others.

Just ordered one. Looks like it's just what I was looking for. Thanks man.
FYI, it's for drive shaft hardware. I swap rear drive shafts pretty often during wheeling season from "street shaft" to "rock shaft" and getting them loose with a standard 14mm box wrench can be a PITA. This should make quick work of it with a lot less effort.

FYI, it's for drive shaft hardware. I swap rear drive shafts pretty often during wheeling season from "street shaft" to "rock shaft" and getting them loose with a standard 14mm box wrench can be a PITA. This should make quick work of it with a lot less effort.

I would also pick up one of these VIM Tools DPW1417 Extra Long 14mm x 17mm Offset Drain Plug Wrench - Walmart.com. its thin enough that you can get in-between the companion flange and the third and theres an offset as well its what I use at work for dropping drive shafts.

Where do you do all this wheelin'?

Off topic, but up and down the east coast, Moab, and making a run out to the Rubicon at the end of the summer.
True, sorry for the thread jack. On topic, have you tried an S wrench to get at the top hardware? Assuming you don't need the wrench length for torque, but for reach. Personally I've only taken each driveshaft off twice, I haven't found much trouble with just a couple of wrenches, one short and one normal length.
Also curious because any time it's easier to pull a shaft I wanna know. My Subaru is even more difficult to get at the top hardware on the shaft but that's also OT.

The simmilar Carlyle CHT RWLBFL5M hasn't gone on sale at NAPA yet, it might not. I found one that is much closer to what I need, Gearwrench 86126, looks like the Mac version, but a bit smaller ratcheting head for tight access, and quite a bit less money. You probably lose a bit of strength there versus the Mac.

The Gearwrench 86126 has a 12-point box end, rather than the Mac's 6-point. I usually reach for a 6-point socket whenever possible, but on a tool this long, I might only be able to get onto the nut with 12-pt.

I stopped rounding out bolt heads 20 years ago, when I started using the box end or a socket first, rather than the open end.

True, sorry for the thread jack. On topic, have you tried an S wrench to get at the top hardware? Assuming you don't need the wrench length for torque, but for reach. Personally I've only taken each driveshaft off twice, I haven't found much trouble with just a couple of wrenches, one short and one normal length.
Also curious because any time it's easier to pull a shaft I wanna know. My Subaru is even more difficult to get at the top hardware on the shaft but that's also OT.
No need for that wrench.
I have procedure. I just needed a little extra torque to break them loose.
I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it looks like it will be exactly what I need.

Last edited:
I found the Gearwrench 86126 set on sale here in town for $125US. I couldn't part with that money though. The build quality looked quite a bit less than the Mac, and not great enough to consider paying that much for the Gearwrench.

I don't share the appeal of such a long wrench with a six-point box end though. It might be gentle on the nut, but it'll be really hard to get that wrench on at all, against a 12-point, particularly under the hood of a truck in a blind area.

Additionally, I don't think I need to pay for a whole set here. Sizes I would need for Landcruiser are 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm, 19mm? The 17mm and 19mm aren't going to be useful in remote long reach scenarios where I'm remotely budging these larger nuts and bolts with a long flex handle. It isn't going to happen. I might as well use a socket for them.

Seems like I only need those smaller three sizes, not a full set. I would prefer Mac if I can get it in long handle flex head ratcheting with 12pt closed end. I'll continue looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom