14BT Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just thought I would throw this one out there in case anyone is interested. I've got a week off in September so I'll be pulling the 14BT out of my 40 and rebuilding it with a local engine rebuild shop. I'm normally really slack with photos of work I do, but I'm going to try and document things this time.

I have already sourced a rebuild kit specifically for a 14BT from a company in the UAE called 'MagEngines', I was amazed a the speed of delivery actually. The rebuild kit is Japanese from a company called 'KA Pistons' and includes liners, pistons and pins (specifically for a 14BT/not 14B), main and conrod bearings (TAIHO brand), rings and a full gasket set.

I am rebuilding it for a few reasons. Firstly, I have absolutely no idea of the mileage on the engine (Japanese import), so I guess peace of mind having rebuilt it is one aspect. I have also had some dramas with it since purchasing the 40 in January this year and previously rebuilt the head. Whilst I had the head off I noticed that the piston liners were very smooth (not cross hatching at all), and it has a bit of blowby (not excessive, but still a concern), so I figure a rebuild is in order. I did a bit of a write up of the dramas I've had in the 40 section which you can have a read here if you are interested: Frankenstein J40. I have since fabricated a new intake pipe system out of stainless and added a front mounted intercooler.

The engine is not bad after sorting out the injection pump timing issues, but its not 100% yet, which is another reason for the rebuild. This time I will not only be reconditioning the engine, but the injection pump as well. I'm considering going to a GTurbo later, but am still thinking about this. I have FSMs for just about every other B engine, but the elusive 14BT FSM still evades me (anyone have a copy?). I figured out that Yamaha released a marinised version of the 14BT called the 'ME372sti', which I have found a FSM for. I think between the FSMs that I have we should be able to sort everything out.

Anyway, hopefully it can be of assistance/interest to someone else when its done. I'm hoping to pull the engine and rebuild on my week off, but we will see what happens.

Cheers

Kit

So, I started today. Not too much to report yet, but basically got most of the accessories and bits and pieces out of the way so I can pull the engine tomorrow morning. Had a bit of an issue with the air conditioning compressor pipes which were fouling on the alternator bracket, but after deburring an edge I managed to get a ring end on it and got it off. Discovered that the air conditioning idle up part that sits on top of the injection pump was loose, but still seems okay. A few photos to document the process so far.

Rebuild17.png

Rebuild16.png

Rebuild15.png

Rebuild14.png

Day Two

Had a pretty productive day today... Got the engine out and stripped down with the exception of pulling the head. Started the day with undoing the bell housing bolts and engine mount bolts and then used the forklift to lift it out. Once out I started stripping the block of everything. First I removed the injection pump, which I gave to one of the two mechanics I am rebuilding the engine with (both are in their 60s/70s and have been rebuilding engines for a while) and he got to work on stripping it to rebuild. One thing he brought to my attention is that the automatic timing advance, which is a cylinder at the bottom of the pump, was not moving freely.
Rebuild45.png

Rebuild44.png

Rebuild43.png

After the injector pump, I removed the oil cooler, air conditioning compressor, water pump and thermostat housing.

Rebuild39.png

Rebuild38.png

Rebuild37.png

Rebuild24.png

Next was the oil sump, clutch and fly wheel. I was going to replace the clutch, but it still has a bit of meat left on it, so I might reuse it. I have had some oil leaks from the main rear seal which I will obviously be replacing, but I also noticed where I have had a leak at the bottom of the bell housing. It seems to be coming from the forward cover of the H55F gearbox. I have sourced a gasket and will probably pull the cover off and replace it whilst its off...

Rebuild30.png

Rebuild29.png

Rebuild28.png

Rebuild27.png

I also noticed a leak in the exhaust manifold to turbo as you can see in the photo below, which we will have to fix up. I will be drilling and tapping the exhaust manifold so I can put in another EGT gauge pre-turbo (I already have one post). That should be interesting to see the exact differences once everything is back together. I think that is about everything? Tomorrow we wills tart the rebuilding process after I pull the head. The tray is getting full...

Rebuild36.png

Rebuild34.png

Rebuild40.png

6Rebuild45.png

Thats a very special landcruiser you have there. Good to know 14BT have problems with the ACSD breaking off also.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure most of the VE pumps have the same potential issue with the ACSD coming off. Really no need for it where I live so I did the ACSD delete a couple of months back. The automatic advance I mentioned above is different. Below is from another website:

"At the bottom of the injection pump is the automatic-advance timing device. As fuel-supply pump pressure increases, the piston moves the roller ring opposite to drive shaft rotation, advancing injection timing, Figure 22. As engine speed increases, fuel pressure from the vne pump also increases. This allows the timer piston to overcome thetimer spring, causing the roller housing to move opposite cam-plate rotation. The rollers then engage the cam-plate high points earlier, advancing injection timing."

This part was not moving freely in my pump.

Cheers for the comments - he's slowly coming along. 😊

Do you know who did the dual cab conversion?

Day Three

Another productive day today. Got the head off first thing and the gasket looked okay with no signs of leaking that we could identify. After that I started tearing down the rest of the engine starting with the timing cover, cam shaft, crank shaft, pistons, con rods and bearings etc... Identified some fairly significant damage to one of the pistons as you can see in the photos below. I'm guessing this was an old issue as I didn't find any metal pieces in the sump at all. The piston walls are very smooth and shiny and definitely needed a rebuild (I already knew this from previously pulling the head).
Rebuild57.png

Rebuild56.png

Rebuild54.png

I also removed the bell housing, front cover of the transfer case, and put in a new oil seal for the output shaft and a new gasket to fix the oil leak I had at the bottom of the bell housing. I added some gearbox conditioning additive (expensive stuff at $40 a tin) and some new 80w90 oil to the transfer case. Finally, I started spraying some parts in blue and grey and we got the block cleaned and mounted and started boring the cylinders to fit liners. Phone ran out of battery, but I'll get more photos of the work we are doing to the block tomorrow.

Cheers.

Rebuild49.png

Rebuild48.png

Day Four
Mostly a cleaning day today. Ran most of the remaining parts through the parts washer and then cleaned some a bit more with a wire wheel. Got the injector lines cleaned up nice, oil tube for the turbo nice and clean and various brackets and covers. I also got some paint on a few bits including the oil pan which needed a fair bit of extra cleaning externally and internally.
Rebuild61.png

Rebuild66.png

I also took the turbo apart as I noticed a small hairline crack near the dump pipe which I will be welding up. Also bought two new belts and some new hose for the turbo water lines and a power steering line. I also got the bell housing remounted.
Rebuild62.png

Rebuild64.png

We also managed to bore out three of the cylinders with the fourth one first thing tomorrow morning. After that it will be pushing in the sleeves, decking the block and honing the sleeves so we can then start reassembling. Tomorrow and Friday should be pretty big days...
Some photos:
Rebuild63.png

I also drilled and tapped a hole in the exhaust manifold for the EGT gauge I am putting there. It should get a pretty accurate reading from all four cylinders there. That's all...
Rebuild70.png

Rebuild69.png

Rebuild67.png

Day Five
I spent Day Five mostly cleaning everything, sorting and fixing up little bits and pieces. Welded up the housing for the turbo which you can see in the photos below. We managed to fit all of the sleeves and started boring them out to the standard sized pistons. Also had a 47 in the shop with some clutch issues... Have to go back to work this week, but I will try and get in at some stage to help out and document the rebuild further.
Cheers Kit
Rebuild74.png
3.png

Rebuild72.png

Rebuild71.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom