1407driver's build thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, the cargo system/drawer build has begun. We had a baby a couple weeks ago, so not much has gotten done on the 100 in quite a while except for a baby mirror and sun shades...:(

Anywho, I'm off for a while so I'm trying to sneak in a little work here and there. Picked up some 3/4 Baltic Birch and have been collecting hardware for a couple of months. I used my existing cargo mat as a filler/sound absorbing mat. I just cut out any areas where the floor was high to level it out. Essentially where the seat mounts and child tethers are.

Also removed the outboard seat mounts.

I was able to cut the base for the drawer system. I drilled holes for U-bolts, but decided installing the system with the U-bolts is a pita. I opted instead to remove the seat anchors and countersink some new M10-1.25x50 bolts through the existing threaded holes. Hence the extra holes. I didn't re-do it- the oopses will be hidden.

I also threw a dado blade in the tablesaw and cut the dados into the base. Pics of that are MIA. But, the heavy dado stack accentuated a bad bearing in the saw. So I spent half the day tearing the saw down and ordering new bearings. Project is dead in the water until the new parts arrive Tuesday. Updates to come.

Congrats on newborn, can't wait to see this build.

The tablesaw bearings arrived today. After putting the saw back together, I was able to finish the main carcass and mount up the drawer slides. I have a set of the locking slides and a set of the non-locking. One of each on each side, so you only have to release one side to slide the drawer or fridge. The slides are offset from each other to allow for the bolts.

Built the drawers today. The fridge slide had room for a little cubby up front. Since there will be some extra 12v outlets on the left, it will be a good spot to toss an ipad or phone to charge. It also fits my camp stove if stood on end.
Main drawer, minus the face and latch

Fridge slide added

Latch laid out

Sorry, but it already went to another mud member.

Do you guys think I should leave this here or put the cargo build in a separate thread?

I'd say keep it all here!

BTW, how did you sort out the child seat rear anchor tether?

I'd say keep it all here!

BTW, how did you sort out the child seat rear anchor tether?

I'm just overbuilding the main box, attaching a steel cargo barrier, and I'll put tether points on that. I still may run a steel strap direct to the mounting locations. We'll see. I'm probably over thinking it, seeing how puny the oem child tethers are.

Did a bit more work today. I never have a ton of time with a new baby in the house. But, I was able to almost finish all the wood bits of the build. I ended up re-doing the drawer faces to have the cut outs for the slide lock in the drawer instead of the facia.
Cardboard templates for the wings:

Don't know why, but I didn't get any pics of the finished wings. Maybe tomorrow.
Found these at Lowes. They're perfect to add another cushion at the rear of the drawers to ensure there are no rattles. I can't stand ******* rattles.

That's all for today. I love paternity leave!

Ok, guys, I decided to stop progress on phase 1 (drawers/wood bits) and begin phase 2 (steel) to minimize the amount of times I'd need to install and remove the whole unit. Phase 1 is dome except a few odds and ends. Phase 3 will be electrical and finishes. Over the last few days I've managed to cut and weld the cargo barrier, dividers, and shelves. The vertical dividers have the same 2x2 10 ga. steel mesh as the barrier. The shelves were originally going to be the same, but I decided instead to skip the mesh and go with 1/4-3/8 ply covered with Monstaliner. I think it will be more scratch resistant. The dividers and shelves are a little different than my original drawings, but this was expected. I like to adapt and change the design as I go. This has been a good project for me to practice welding. I just taught myself last year and haven't done much. Basically, I suck.

The cargo barrier was designed to allow the curtain airbags to deploy. The barrier supports that attach to the box are open to allow access from the second row as well as the ability to sleep on the passenger side if needed. I will also be attaching child seat tether points to the center crossbar due to the drawer system blocking the oem ones.

Sorry, no pics of the shelves. I'll get some tomorrow. Cheers.

Ok, haven't posted in a while. To catch up- got the steel parts almost done- done enough to remove the whole bit from the truck so it's easier to work on. Switched back to finishing the wood parts. Took everything apart after drilling a gazillion screw holes for final gluing and screwing(not the fun kind). Used 8x2" square drive assembly screws and Titebond III to put it all together. You could darn near park the 100 on this baby. Then I got to work on figuring out the side wings and supports. Took me quite a while to do this as I was trying to allow for electronics, future inverter, etc., have everything removable, and no fasteners showing on the outside. Anyways, on to the pics:

Figuring out where the Pull-Pal will live:

My fancy nutsert tool:

It does the job

Passenger side shelf

I wanted to tie into the upper seatbelt mount. I found out that the oem threads are probably a M11x1.25. Good luck finding one of those. So, I ordered a new bolt from Toyota for 4 bucks and welded my existing one to support the shelf.

A little bending and a welded nut and we're in business

Drivers side shelf and fridge barrier:

Organizing hardware. This isn't all of it...

Thanks to Shaggy101 (if I remember correctly) an aluminum striker for the latch:

Built a removable box to protect the latch mechanism and to keep it from binding:

Lots of glue and screws:

Totally overcomplicated wing support system and perforated barrier for the switch panel:

Wing fitted

Left about an 80 mil gap to allow for bedliner thickness

Passenger side

The barrier is farther forward to make space for the inverter

Worked on the system a bit more. Got the final fit up of the shelves. Added satin abs panels in the sides of the face for future switches and inverter face. Also fabbed up the pull pal mounts. I decided to just throw the spade part in the drawer because a mount for it over the other bits would get a bit complicated. The mounts in the pics will have rubber bumpers added after powder coat. The supports are just covered with lengths of fuel line to keep out rattles.
Switch panel (one on each side):

Pull pal mount roughed in:

Will you powder coat the frame?

Serious fab going on here, jealous of both your skills and tools

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom