12ht Starter Relay / Glow Plug Relay (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I am having the s***test time at the moment with my 60, and have a 4000km trip coming up in 3 days.. Every time I drive it a new issue arises.
This morning the Starter Relay (Toyota said it is a Glow Plug Relay - but 12ht’s don’t have glow plugs) started buzzing… I turned the ignition on and off a couple of times and it stopped.
Toyota said the part is discontinued..

Is there a way of bypassing it if it continues to buzz, or can it be disconnected once the engine starts?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I am hesitant to pull it apart

Thanks heaps…

Drew

3B21CF6B-C0BD-45F3-BFFE-303F7FD4716A.jpeg

3C11AB35-6372-46C8-B8AA-168C1CA487FE.jpeg

12HTs do have a glow screen.. are you sure its not the glow screen relay? I would expect the starter relay to buzz, as its only energised when you turn the key.

12HTs do have a glow screen.. are you sure its not the glow screen relay? I would expect the starter relay to buzz, as its only energised when you turn the key.

Thanks,
When I gave the part number to Toyota they called it the Glow Plug Relay. Would make sense if it is the Glow Screen Relay - and I could just disconnect it…

Mechanical relays are pretty easy to repair. One you open it up (which can be a pain with the plastic shell), you'll notice carbon all over the contact points. File that off, just like you're cleaning points on an old distributor, and put it back together.

I did this in the driver seat once during a rain storm on the highway. The wiper relay got stuck on me in the middle of the storm.

Thanks,
When I gave the part number to Toyota they called it the Glow Plug Relay. Would make sense if it is the Glow Screen Relay - and I could just disconnect it…

Yes.. the 12HT barely needs the glow screen, especially if you're not living in Siberia. Given you're living in Western Australia - you'll certainly almost never need the glow screen to start the vehicle, even on the coldest morning of what passes for Winter in your fine state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom