12.5s on a 6" rim? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TexFJ

SILVER Star
Threads
Just noticed that the PO put 12.5 on the stock FJ62 chrome 6 " wheels. Interesting, should I be concerned? I think I'm riding on some 13 yr old balloons.

1580860843948-png.2201815

I'd run at lower a tire pressure for sure. At 35 psi especially on wet roads probably feels like it's skating all over the place. These won't really wear evenly. Max width I'd run is 10.5".
:beer:

Many tire shops won’t even install a 10.5 on a 6 inch rim. I installed my own and no issues but I can see that they might be happier on a wider rim.

A 10.5” wide tire is hard enough to get on a 6” rim without the bead wanting to tear, I can’t imagine how a 2” wider tire would be.

Outlier here, I used to run 33x12.50s on a stock steely and never had issues. The truck drove like crap anyways so I never noticed anything funky with that tire set up. Ymmv

I think the wider tires look great but also want to keep the stock chromes. I'd keep the tires as is, as I think that 12 years of service have proven that the combination is capable, although 12 years???? They sure are slippery in the rain, so I'm assuming it's just the rubber deteriorating.

10.5's will let me sleep better at night though. Any thoughts about re-chroming the wheels? Anything to be concerned with? Mine are getting a little rusty.
CD1F4FB7-353F-4FA0-A5A3-6CBC7F1325FB_1_105_c.jpeg

Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 12.01.31 PM.png

Might be easier and cheaper just to find another set of stock wheels with good chrome

No one would install 31x10.5r15 KO2s on my stock rims. Apparently they are too wide unless you can find a small mom and pop shop to do it.

No one would install 31x10.5r15 KO2s on my stock rims. Apparently they are too wide unless you can find a small mom and pop shop to do it.

I have a friend with a shop and I know how to mount and balance wheels/tires. So I just brought mine in to his shop and did them myself. I don't remember having any trouble mounting them on the rim or getting them to seat. I had 0 issues with the bead and there was no risk that the tire machine was going to pop the bead off. They seated and aired up fine. on the 1-10 scale these were like a 2 for difficulty. Mostly because they were a little big diameter for the machine.

I think the wider tires look great but also want to keep the stock chromes. I'd keep the tires as is, as I think that 12 years of service have proven that the combination is capable, although 12 years???? They sure are slippery in the rain, so I'm assuming it's just the rubber deteriorating.

10.5's will let me sleep better at night though. Any thoughts about re-chroming the wheels? Anything to be concerned with? Mine are getting a little rusty.
View attachment 2203199
View attachment 2203204

Dude, junk those tires like yesterday. Thats dry rot.

They also could be slippery because there is not a great contact patch on the road because it’s a 12.5 on a narrow wheel.

seems like more of a tire pressure issue than a rim width issue. I'd thing the bigger problem with a too fat tire on a narrow rim would be the way the rim floats in the tire and could really wallow in a corner. I know if I run my 3.8" tires on my mountain bike at 5 psi they wont come off the wheel but the bike sure handles like crap....though it does float on sand and snow nicely

seems like more of a tire pressure issue than a rim width issue. I'd thing the bigger problem with a too fat tire on a narrow rim would be the way the rim floats in the tire and could really wallow in a corner. I know if I run my 3.8" tires on my mountain bike at 5 psi they wont come off the wheel but the bike sure handles like crap....though it does float on sand and snow nicely

Yup, that too. Bottom line, too fat on too thin is not great....and again, most shops probably wouldn’t mount those.
I went to a larger aftermarket 8” wheel, now THAT will make your wide tires look cool, if you’re into that sort of thing.
Hey someone should start a thread on aftermarket wheels that fit. :hillbilly: :hillbilly::bang::flipoff2:

I have a friend with a shop and I know how to mount and balance wheels/tires. So I just brought mine in to his shop and did them myself. I don't remember having any trouble mounting them on the rim or getting them to seat. I had 0 issues with the bead and there was no risk that the tire machine was going to pop the bead off. They seated and aired up fine. on the 1-10 scale these were like a 2 for difficulty. Mostly because they were a little big diameter for the machine.
Yeah, but the big tire chain stores will refuse because BFG specifies the need for a wider wheel. Ended up getting 4WheelParts to do it but both discount tire and Costco refused. But if you’ve got a friend with a shop I’m sure you can mount pretty much anything.

This is funny: I tried to go from my 12.5 tires to 10.5 but as others mentioned 'Discount Tires' refused the 10.5 idea ( I believe their computer system blocked the order). I had a good laugh. I just went ahead and ordered them through a local tire shop which had no problems taking my business.

My tires were slippery because they're 12 years old. Plus the more area the tire has touching the road, the more likely it is to hydro on a wet road. On a dry road the extra area is a positive.

I had 33x10.5 on stock wagon wheels for 32,000 miles. I did the 255/85-16 on a 16x6 and the truck drives far better that before. Until you drive a factory approved wheel and tire combo with a proper sidewall, you don't know what you're missing.

I did it and it can be done, but it's not ideal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom