12.5 gallons aux tank (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m getting install 12.5 gallons aux tank in next week. The shop suggests me to put fabricate skid plates for the tank. Should I do it? And anything else need to do before installing the aux tank? Thank you

I need to see this kit. The pics I've glanced at were all stuff that could easily be put together in any major city by a decent hydraulic hose shop.

I think @grinchy is the only one to take that plunge. I would think those other auxiliary tanks would work if you are willing to relocate canister like grinchy. Just a bit more involved.

Seriously considering the factory aux tank did have me open to relocating it.. I'll have to check into those options. Thanks for the list.

I need to see this kit. The pics I've glanced at were all stuff that could easily be put together in any major city by a decent hydraulic hose shop.

The cost of all the upgraded hoses, fittings, and pump can't be more than $100-150. I can't remember how much it cost me as I did it myself, but other than the pump (which is cheap), it's just upgrading to some JIC fittings, Parker Push-Lok hose, T-bolt clamps, etc. At least that's how Slee does it, not sure about Eric. Obviously, shops have to make money, but $1400 is WAY overpriced.

Yeah, that's a crazy price. See if the folks at Slee would be willing to sell you a kit. I know they use it on all their LRA installs and their price is under that WITH installation. So, maybe they can sell you kit or just tell you what they use.
That's good advise. I planned to have SLEE provide and install the 12.5 gallon LRA tank, but they will not install the 12.5 gallon tank at this time due to a few complaints of the fitment ( squeaking) issue . Cruiser Outfitters also upgrades the hoses, fuel pump and fittings for around $250.00 if they provide the tank. They have a fix for the fitment issue, I'm going to have them provide and install the tank.

FWIW the evap relo isn't that big a deal. Particularly now that it looks pretty obvious to reuse the hardline already in place up to the intake manifold as the extended evap line 'out'. You do have to extend the wire up to the engine bay, and make a few basic brackets, but just the relo is probably less than 4 hours all up.

I think finding the filler is the hard part. And of course, getting that filler in was a bit of drama (though would be easier if I'd found all 9 body mounts to loosen).

The cost of all the upgraded hoses, fittings, and pump can't be more than $100-150. I can't remember how much it cost me as I did it myself, but other than the pump (which is cheap), it's just upgrading to some JIC fittings, Parker Push-Lok hose, T-bolt clamps, etc. At least that's how Slee does it, not sure about Eric. Obviously, shops have to make money, but $1400 is WAY overpriced.
The pictures I saw did have all stainless swagelok style high pressure fittings, which are fairly expensive.. but also complete overkill for this low pressure application. I agree 1400 is way up there.

FWIW the evap relo isn't that big a deal. Particularly now that it looks pretty obvious to reuse the hardline already in place up to the intake manifold as the extended evap line 'out'. You do have to extend the wire up to the engine bay, and make a few basic brackets, but just the relo is probably less than 4 hours all up.

I think finding the filler is the hard part. And of course, getting that filler in was a bit of drama (though would be easier if I'd found all 9 body mounts to loosen).

I plan to make it even simpler and put the CC where your AHC pump is. And yes on the filler.. I've been looking on and off with no joy.

That's good advise. I planned to have SLEE provide and install the 12.5 gallon LRA tank, but they will not install the 12.5 gallon tank at this time due to a few complaints of the fitment ( squeaking) issue . Cruiser Outfitters also upgrades the hoses, fuel pump and fittings for around $250.00 if they provide the tank. They have a fix for the fitment issue, I'm going to have them provide and install the tank.

$250 is much more reasonable! But, I would ask what's in their upgraded kit if I were you.

The pictures I saw did have all stainless swagelok style high pressure fittings, which are fairly expensive.. but also complete overkill for this low pressure application. I agree 1400 is way up there.

I plan to make it even simpler and put the CC where your AHC pump is. And yes on the filler.. I've been looking on and off with no joy.
Tlc have it so easy.

I have a 12.5 gal LRA, have the Facet pump that came with it, have never had any CEL, and made only one mod (larger hose to a K&N breather).

I can't speak to pricing, but in terms of value, I got exactly what I was looking for.

Shipping container pricing has gotten so inflated, I'm not surprised that prices are going up.

My only whiny complaint is the woodpecker noise the pump makes, and my only wish was that the pump transferred faster. Both of these issues are easily remedied by installing an upgraded pump, which I will do if/when the Facet pump dies.

My cost on our upgrade kit is $1000 and I charge $1400 (40% margin). The margin is required because:
1) We're a business
2) Parker min qty is 20 pieces on most of the stainless quick-fit fittings and elbows. Some of these fitting alone are $60 each. I am spending $20k on 20 kits at a time.
3) Labor cost to piece out and box and store
4) Parts inventory capitol tied up for over a year in some cases. We only sell 2-3 kits/tanks per month
5) We developed this kit through trial and error and modified/upgraded it over three versions
6) These kits also include an upgraded pump with relays

I've always felt the same way.. even at the old pricing the quality of the components other than the tank was piss poor. Let alone all the issues people have with evap codes and fumes.

I truly wish there were some competition in this space to force LRA to up their game. I gather that they are good people, but the demand for this product is outstripping the supply of quality parts here and disincentivizing improvement.

This is the reason I haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I’ve read too many stories about noisy pumps, gasoline odors, fouled charcoal canisters, clogged breather filters, etc. Been on the fence for literally years but every time I dig in and start reading, i uncover too many issues. So I still carry jerry cans.

My experience has been similar to Charlie's. It is expensive, but to me it is worth it. I have had the 12.5 for about a month now and on our first family road trip I was so grateful to have it. Sometimes, especially with young kids and traveling in remote areas, it can be a lifesaver to not have range on your mind.

I thought about upgrading the pump/fittings after reading some things here, but decided not to mess with anything until something breaks. The only thing I changed on my installation was instead of splicing into a factory harness for accessory power, I ran it straight to the battery with a fuse. That allows me to let the pump run while the vehicle is parked/off, which is nice because the pump does better IMO when the vehicle is level and stationary. It is not drawing any substantial power while the pump is not running so I am not concerned about draining the battery.

This is the reason I haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I’ve read too many stories about noisy pumps, gasoline odors, fouled charcoal canisters, clogged breather filters, etc. Been on the fence for literally years but every time I dig in and start reading, i uncover too many issues. So I still carry jerry cans.
I think you may reading more about the negatives since few people take the time to post about their positive experiences like 21200 and I did. More people always talk, write, post about negative experiences than do positive experiences, so you're going to have that. The rest of us are out driving around enjoying our auxiliary tanks.

I have had my 12.5 for almost 3 years now. Mine was the first one that Eric at Ed Martin Toyota installed. I have not had any problems with codes, boiling or the smell of gas. The only small complaint I have is that I only get 11.5 gal transferred from the 12.5 gal tank. I am still happy to have the extra 11.5 gal.

My cost on our upgrade kit is $1000 and I charge $1400 (40% margin). The margin is required because:
1) We're a business
2) Parker min qty is 20 pieces on most of the stainless quick-fit fittings and elbows. Some of these fitting alone are $60 each. I am spending $20k on 20 kits at a time.
3) Labor cost to piece out and box and store
4) Parts inventory capitol tied up for over a year in some cases. We only sell 2-3 kits/tanks per month
5) We developed this kit through trial and error and modified/upgraded it over three versions
6) These kits also include an upgraded pump with relays
Could I buy the kit from you?

The 12.5 is a game changer if you travel, especially with a family/group or to far away places. Heck, if you just have a busy schedule they are amazingly convenient!

Depending on which side of the country you are located, I would Definitely pursue installation/upgrade at Eric’s or Kurt’s due to their familiarity with 200 series and reputation.

Could I buy the kit from you?
Right now I have the exact same amount of kits and I do in-stock tanks, so no. However, I would not be opposed to doing a run for anyone wanting them if we could get 20 people in to get all the parts. May not be worth the hassle. Next time I order more, I will alot for a few spares. Just don't want anything sitting around on a shelf for a year collecting dust.

This is still singularly my favorite mod (maybe next to tires), and gives the cruiser so much leash to explore. It's game changing.

To be fair to LRA, I was one of the early installs and the first on the LX570. I'm probably too transparent and critical, but it's under the guise of shared learning. With the information out there today, should make for a smooth experience. Which also means if you're getting this installed, please do use a experienced installed who can help you benefit from the lessons learned. This is not your casual slap it in mod IMO.

Personally, I don't have any problems with fittings, hoses, or pumps. That's not where this setup comes up short. Which brings me back to my first point, an experienced installer and their secret sauce is going to make all the difference.

I have had my 12.5 gallon tank for quite a while with no issues at all. Slee installed it for me. I picked this on because I thought having two spares would be more beneficial and I can carry up to 15 gallons more on my Slee Rear bumper if needed for a long expo run. On a long drive I have to stop for a bio break long before the fuel would run out. I actually damaged two tires on one trip and was glad I had the second spare.

I installed the 12.5 gallon on my 2018 about two years ago and couldn't be happier. No codes, no squeaks etc... I did not upgrade any of the parts from LRA. I figure I will upgrade the pump when or if the one that comes in the kit ever fails. This is a game changer on road trips with two kids under three. It seemed like every time we got both kids happy or sleeping we had to stop for fuel. Internet forums have a way of making issues seem a lot more common than they are. I just wanted to post as another happy customer with zero issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom