Events/Trails 10th Annual 100s in the Hills! *Silverton, Colorado July 22 - 27 2020* (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It will be! less than average snowfall this year, even in the San Juans. Between the heavy snowfall last year and this winter, we should have some amazing wildflowers this year!

Snowpack is above average this year and only 2% below median in Gunnison watershed. Spring storms are likely to drive that well over 100%. Colorado, Ark, and RG are either well over or tracking over in the next two days. 45 to 60 days of snowfall left at least.

The snow pictures in the last few pages are from slides. We had a record year for avalanches this winter and have unstable pack going into spring run off. Slides impacting trails are a real possibility this spring, but less so than last year.

Don't let that stop you though! Get some sliders anyway!

I'm either going to get White Knuckle or the Slee Slider with Tube Rail (not the steps) before the trip.

I love my white knuckle DOM sliders, best on the market IMO! I believe they are on as an HIH sponsor this year?

my only regret is I would’ve gone with a 0* or 5* angle on them. I just ordered them as is at 15*. I don’t DD mine so it’s ok, if you DD a flat surface will act as a nice step. Amazing product though I have dropped about the whole weight of my truck on them multiple times and plain and simple, they do their job!

678DC78F-DBA5-4316-8ACD-D8A4DE2E09D9.jpeg

White Knuckle is a supporter this year! We are stoked to have them on board. We’ve heard a lot of good feedback on their sliders.
Don't let that stop you though! Get some sliders anyway!

I'm either going to get White Knuckle or the Slee Slider with Tube Rail (not the steps) before the trip.
I love my white knuckle DOM sliders, best on the market IMO! I believe they are on as an HIH sponsor this year?

my only regret is I would’ve gone with a 0* or 5* angle on them. I just ordered them as is at 15*. I don’t DD mine so it’s ok, if you DD a flat surface will act as a nice step. Amazing product though I have dropped about the whole weight of my truck on them multiple times and plain and simple, they do their job!

View attachment 2245440

Can’t wait to see the wildflowers this year!

I was lucky enough to snag a spot for this years 100 in the Hills trip. I am reaching out to the veterans who attend with their spouse & kids.

I will be joined by my wife and 5 year old son on this 2200+ mile round trip. We will have to stay somewhere along the way so I'm concerned about items I might store on the roof/hitch carrier. We are complete newbies when it comes to camping for 5ish days so far from home. I would like my wife and kiddo to be comfortable traveling, sleeping & staying somewhat clean so they'll want to go every year :)

We are not light packers, so I'm hoping for advice on what I might need to get/prep.

Land Cruiser Prep
  • Cruiser will be in good shape once I address 1 concern
  • CB Radio for trail group communications
  • Cost effective & easy air compressor for airing up/down? (I have a 12v one that came out of my wife's old Audi)

Roof Top
(Have Factory Rack Now)
  • Aftermarket roof rack necessary, if you suggest getting the following?
  • Roof Top Luggage Carrier?
  • Roof Top Awning for the camp spot? Or a free standing one that can be secured to the rack?

Packing
Camp
  • Tent - I have a 4 person gazelle t4 which is too long to fit in the rear cargo area (will have ride above the 2nd row seat)
  • Sleeping - Have 1 cot currently but it's pretty bulky to pack.
  • Slim/packable table/chairs for meal prep/eating?
  • Have Coleman propane stove. 2 lbs of propane enough?
  • Water storage solution for cooking/cleaning up?
  • Power solutions for devices or just use the rig?
  • Anything I'm not considering to make the campsite enjoyable for my family?
THANK YOU!!

Land Cruiser Prep
  • Cost effective & easy air compressor for airing up/down? (I have a 12v one that came out of my wife's old Audi)

Roof Top
(Have Factory Rack Now)
  • Roof Top Awning for the camp spot? Or a free standing one that can be secured to the rack?

Packing
Camp
  • Tent - I have a 4 person gazelle t4 which is too long to fit in the rear cargo area (will have ride above the 2nd row seat)
THANK YOU!!

Don't worry about a compressor. You will be aired down to 15PSI most of the time and there is a Conoco gas station in town for when you leave.

Plan on rain. Lots of rain. It will rain every day. It will be cold. And wet. Very wet.

Bring stuff to keep the Mrs. and child dry.
Pack rain clothes, extra jackets, and clothes that can get dirty.
Bring a pair of galoshes and flip flops for everyone. There will be mud everywhere.
Bring toilet paper (I know this is extra ironic at this time).

Cooking takes longer at altitude. Factor time for that. Also, consider the effects of altitude. Drink lots of water on the way out and while there.

I run a roof top tent on my factory rack. My truck is fairly stock with the exception of sliders and KO2's. You will do fine with a mostly stock truck.

Slap a big Thule box on the factory roof rack and start driving. That’s what we did first year and had plenty of space for all our gear with a family of four.

We’ve come a long way since our Coleman tent at HiH4. It only leaked when it rained, so now our setup is a bit more complicated! Elks advice above is spot on - keep the Mrs dry and happy and it’ll be fun for all!

I was lucky enough to snag a spot for this years 100 in the Hills trip. I am reaching out to the veterans who attend with their spouse & kids.

I will be joined by my wife and 5 year old son on this 2200+ mile round trip. We will have to stay somewhere along the way so I'm concerned about items I might store on the roof/hitch carrier. We are complete newbies when it comes to camping for 5ish days so far from home. I would like my wife and kiddo to be comfortable traveling, sleeping & staying somewhat clean so they'll want to go every year :)

We are not light packers, so I'm hoping for advice on what I might need to get/prep.

Land Cruiser Prep

Roof Top (Have Factory Rack Now)

Packing
Camp
THANK YOU!!

A note on food; at our first HiH (8), we brought food and cooked in camp every night. Last year (9), we brought minimal food to cook and instead ate at or got take out from Silverton restaurants which made life really easy and allowed us to spend some dollars in town. I think we will take a similar approach this year and patronize the local restaurants for main meals and supplement with food in camp. Might make life a bit easier for you instead of having to think through all the food.

A note on food; at our first HiH (8), we brought food and cooked in camp every night. Last year (9), we brought minimal food to cook and instead ate at or got take out from Silverton restaurants which made life really easy and allowed us to spend some dollars in town. I think we will take a similar approach this year and patronize the local restaurants for main meals and supplement with food in camp. Might make life a bit easier for you instead of having to think through all the food.

Ya’lls feedback is much appreciated! I’m not the greatest planner and I’m clearly over compensating by overthinking it ;)

Ya’lls feedback is much appreciated! I’m not the greatest planner and I’m clearly over compensating by overthinking it ;)

A few other thoughts on items we like that have made life easier for our family of four (kids are 4 & 3 now; took them to HiH8 as little ones!)

-as the other poster said, plan for rain. Keeping everyone dry and warm is a must. Over night lows in Silverton can dip into the 30sin late July.

-that means layering up and having waterproof shoes as previously mentioned. Good sleeping bags and mats are essential. We upgraded to a an REI Kingdom 6 and that allows the kiddoes to have a cot and me and the Mrs to share a queen size air mattress -we all sleep well. My main point here is make sure everyone has a comfortable mat to sleep on.

-E-Z up / pop up shelter; this gives us a little more space to use if it rains and its nice to be able to cook or hang out under cover outside the confines of the tent.

- I carry one 5 gallon water jug and refill in camp as I need it; usually once a day or every other day and this is plenty.

Typing off my phone here, but will be back on the laptop tomorrow and I am happy to share more of our experience with bringing to two littles to HiH.

Land Cruiser Prep

Packing
Camp
THANK YOU!!
Congrats on snagging a spot!

Air compressor: Don't worry about it. I've done most the trails at 20-30 psi which is more than enough to just drive on the highway like normal in the event area. As mentioned, you can go even lower with minimal risk if you've got good AT tires (which you should have for this event).

Roof Rack: Factory is fine for that load.

Storage: I'm biased because I own Air Down Gear Up along with @Kyle Bell , but I think anyone with that system (a few dozen 100 folks on here) will say it's transformative. It's tall enough to store most anything you're going to bring under the platform. If you're bringing something really big (a large cooler is about the only thing I can think of) you can use the topside tie-downs. For sleeping, the SS1 is the king of cargo systems. Perfectly flat from the tailgate to the front row seats. Throw on a nice thick sleeping pad and you're as close to hotel comfort as you can get.

Cooler: If you go for the SS1, there's a Coleman (Party Stacker, I think?) that fits right under the platform. It's cheap and effective.

Table: One of the folding aluminum tables is great to have. They pack up like a standard camp chair. Real slick and available pretty cheap.

Stove/Cooking: If you enjoy it, go for it. If it sounds like a hassle, you can skip it entirely. The local restaurants are great and most offer take out so you can order some great food, support local businesses and then head into camp to hang out and eat. We cooked at camp our first year and then less and less each year after. I prefer to just full-on "glamp" now with the family. Take out food rules.

Power and stuff: Goal Zero is sweet. No idea how to best entertain a 5 year old. I'm only at a 3 year old so far and I'm not sure I have that figured out yet, haha.

If you run trails every day, there's not toooo much camp time to kill. There are events and gatherings most nights. The nights without HIH HQ events, you can easily eat up a day in town.

Let me know if you've got any questions on the SS1. Happy to help you figure out if it's worth the investment!

Land Cruiser Prep

Packing
Camp
THANK YOU!!
Lots of great suggestions for you from others on this already, so I won't repeat. Nix the trailer hitch cargo tray. I know several people that have plastic tubs, coolers and tarps melt back there due to the exhaust hitting it just a few inches a way. The more food prep you can do ahead of time, the more time you can enjoy with your family and soon to made new friends. One of my favorite investments for camping is my ARB fridge. No ice required. There are now several other options to choose from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom