Events/Trails 10th Annual 100s in the Hills! *Silverton, Colorado July 22 - 27 2020* (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One of my favorite investments for camping is my ARB fridge. No ice required. There are now several other options to choose from.

I'll second this experience. We we did our first HIH with a Yeti cooler and cooked every dinner. It was great. Then we were fortunate to win a fridge in the raffle courtesy of Tim from Gamaviti. I would say that for family comfort, the fridge is the best upgrade my truck has. No ice, cold drinks and food. Last year we cooked zero nights. Lunches were sandwiches made from food bought in Silverton. Dinners we ate at the local restaurants. Breakfast was always the mega b-fast burrito from HIH sponsor Coffee Bear.

By no means is a fridge a required item. However, it has made family camping and HIH more enjoyable. More so than bumpers, RTT, sliders, or any other upgrade.

P.S. second best family camping upgrade has been tinted windows.

^^Tons of great stuff posted above. Echoing what others have said, a dual battery setup and a fridge were the best upgrades I've ever done. I've gotten way more use out of them than any other mod or upgrade. We've had one in our built 100 for almost 10 years and it's worked flawlessly. We'd liked it so much that we put fridges in the two other vehicles we have.

-The Dometic PLB (battery) is pretty slick if you do not want a dedicated second battery in your 100.
-Practice setting up your tent at home so you're not fumbling with it when you arrive at HIH. (It could be raining when you arrive)
-Weather is completely unpredictable in Silverton and at that elevation. Expect a 50% chance of rain and cold temps 24/7. It could just as likely be 65 and sunny. It's impossible to forecast the weather.
-There are lodging options available in town. Renting a house is an option as well. Everything is walking distance to HIH HQ. The hotels in town are not like the Hilton though, so don't expect that type of lodging. Some of the campgrounds offer basic cabins. They're basically just a cabin with zero amenities... like a big wooden tent.
-After you load all your sleeping gear in the truck, grab an extra blanket. Being cold is the worst.
-Eating in town is easy. There are no fast food restaurants, but lots of good local food.
-The first night here is always the hardest for folks coming from near sea level. You're probably not going to sleep great the first (and maybe the second) night.

SUPPORTING SILVERTON

After you've supported your local community and economy (and if you have the means) now is a great time to Support Silverton.

The restaurants in town are obviously struggling right now. Silverton is a small community and not at all a tourist destination like Aspen or Telluride. They rely on events like HIH and Hard Rock 100 to stay alive. It's a fairly low income town. We've always been one of their biggest supporters and they've been great in return. There is obviously no way for us to know how long this pandemic will stretch, but if you think you'd be able to use it at some point, buying a small gift certificate to a restaurant in town is a great way to pay it forward.

This obviously isn't for everyone and we have no idea if HIHX can even happen on schedule, but this too shall pass. Both Chris and I have purchased meals and gift cards in advance as a way to support the businesses and restaurants in Silverton that we frequent. Take care of your family and your local community first. If you're fortunate enough to still be in a position to help, Silverton is a great town that means a lot to HIH.

We're fortunate to have a close relationship with Sheriff Bruce Conrad (SJCO Sheriff), DeAnne Gallegos (Chamber Director) and Shane Furman (Mayoral Candidate). They keep us updated and informed and they are always offering to help HIH in any way possible. We're so lucky to have them on our side. They will do everything in their power to make sure HIH launches on time and is successful.

Last edited:
Another quick update. @paflytyer and I never stop seeking ways to keep HIH participants happy. Even amidst the current rough situation, we are keeping the HIH folks on our mind. Out doing some scouting for future events. You’re welcome!!
FAB79A78-6B49-4C6B-82D1-7A498904DF1F.jpeg
w

So disappointed that the pic cuts off at the shin...I need to know if Chris is wearing Flip Flops!
Rumor is that he was- Nice dainty foot Chris

1584993106628.jpeg

Odom Point 12,800ft ( Engineer Pass)

1585136196753.jpeg

IMG_5942.jpg

IMG_5931.jpeg

Last edited:
Stony Pass out to Kite Lake (one of my favorites)

IMG_5453.jpg

IMG_5484.jpeg

IMG_5526.jpeg

Last edited:

Girlfriend and I slept on an SS1 last year. Unless you're going to pull a real hard-walled trailer or rent a place, nothing will keep you warmer or dryer. It would be way cozy with three people, since the space is about the size of a queen mattress. We did bring a three man ground tent just to throw stuff in so we wouldn't have to pack/unpack everything every day, and an ez-up awning is definitely worth bringing. Here's the cooler that fits under the platform, but you'll probably want a bigger one and just strap it down on top of the platform.

I need to do this run this year I think...
I need to do this run this year I think...

You should absolutely do it! There’s an additional offshoot trail before the saddle on Stony that climbs to nearly 13000 feet and passes a massive old mine structure. Couldn’t get to it last year as it was truly snowed in. Hopefully this year though. Figure I’ll run the last day since you can continue on Stony all the way over to the Rio Grande Reservoir and on then to Creede.

A1998919-7935-4291-900C-DAE711592A04.jpeg

8BACD595-FFAD-473C-A773-3700A83D7617.jpeg

DF445A9C-5C5B-4707-BA58-58EFD2AC4C37.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom