Events/Trails 10th Annual 100s in the Hills! *Silverton, Colorado July 22 - 27 2020* (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Catching up...

...We are not light packers, so I'm hoping for advice on what I might need to get/prep....

Nix the trailer hitch cargo tray. I know several people that have plastic tubs, coolers and tarps melt back there due to the exhaust hitting it just a few inches a way.

Last year was my first year, and I had so many questions as well. Here's the gist of my newbie knowledge:
  • CB Radio is fine. I bought a Uniden PRO520XL, a magnetic antenna, and a cigarette lighter power adapter and it was super simple.
  • Portable air compressors all suck and way slower than you want. Our last day we did a long trail that took us to the highway over an hour away. We aired up and the onboard air guys got done with all 4 tires before I got one filled. Onboard air is something I really want to have this year. That said, most trails end up close enough to town that you don't air up/down daily.
  • We loaded all our gear into the back of the cruiser (family of 4 + dog) and a trailer hitch. DO NOT USE TRAILER HITCH, or you will burn your gear. I picked up my Gamiviti Expo ++ on site and now have that for this year :)
  • Luggage carriers go on minivans, not cruisers :)
  • Awnings are way cool and useful for the rain. However, an EZ up is more movable and practical tbh. No need to secure to truck. It stays at camp over your cooking/camping gear while you go out wheeling.
  • I car camp a ton. I have checklists I can send if you want. I use stackable tubs available from Home Depot or anywhere. Again, I was able to pack family of 4 and a dog for 10 days in the back of the Cruiser and a trailer hitch (learned the hard way and ruined my cooler and tubs). It's very doable
  • Get slim roll inflatable sleeping pads. I prefer these to bulky air mattresses all day every day. Get wide ones.
  • Kitchen - A 6' folding plastic table is a perfect workstation and fits in the cruiser. Bring some lightweight cloth folding chairs. No table for eating. Eat on your lap.
  • 5 Gallon potable jug is ideal just as collk22 said.
  • No power needed. Charge your devices in the rig since you are driving all day! The lodge also has power if you need it.
  • The camping setup isn't great for fires. Join someone else's pit, but with young kids and an early call time, you'll basically be heading to bed at dark.
  • Honestly, the most important thing is bring stuff your kid likes to do to stay entertained. Bikes, iPad, whatever... you'll all enjoy it more if the kids are happy!
  • Bring a couple tarps for under the tent and to cover your kitchen area from rain.
  • You'll have plenty of time in the evenings to make dinner on the couple times you need to, and that's fun. Burgers, hot dogs, bread/butter, canned corn, fruit.. easy stuff, single pan cooking. Breakfast depends on call time to the trail, but plan on simple, fast and light. Some days you'll have a 9am start, some days 7am. On the late start days we made bacon and egg croissants. On early days it is instant oatmeal and cereal. For every day, plan on packing lunch. Sandwiches, chips, sodas, whatever you want for a 5-8 hour road trip.
  • You can eat dinner in town. We may this year more, but last year we just enjoyed hanging in camp and cooking there.
  • There's a couple RV parks with showers. Those are great! That was my wife and daughters best part. Our "campsite" is just a grass field, and port-a-potties. The lodge has a bathroom, but its not enough for everyone. We showered after trail runs and before dinner and it was perfect.

Hit me up if you need anything!

I went to buy a ticket a few minutes after registration and was put on the waitlist. Any way to track that/chances of getting in?

Catching up...

Last year was my first year, and I had so many questions as well. Here's the gist of my newbie knowledge:
  • CB Radio is fine. I bought a Uniden PRO520XL, a magnetic antenna, and a cigarette lighter power adapter and it was super simple.
  • Portable air compressors all suck and way slower than you want. Our last day we did a long trail that took us to the highway over an hour away. We aired up and the onboard air guys got done with all 4 tires before I got one filled. Onboard air is something I really want to have this year. That said, most trails end up close enough to town that you don't air up/down daily.
  • We loaded all our gear into the back of the cruiser (family of 4 + dog) and a trailer hitch. DO NOT USE TRAILER HITCH, or you will burn your gear. I picked up my Gamiviti Expo ++ on site and now have that for this year :)
  • Luggage carriers go on minivans, not cruisers :)
  • Awnings are way cool and useful for the rain. However, an EZ up is more movable and practical tbh. No need to secure to truck. It stays at camp over your cooking/camping gear while you go out wheeling.
  • I car camp a ton. I have checklists I can send if you want. I use stackable tubs available from Home Depot or anywhere. Again, I was able to pack family of 4 and a dog for 10 days in the back of the Cruiser and a trailer hitch (learned the hard way and ruined my cooler and tubs). It's very doable
  • Get slim roll inflatable sleeping pads. I prefer these to bulky air mattresses all day every day. Get wide ones.
  • Kitchen - A 6' folding plastic table is a perfect workstation and fits in the cruiser. Bring some lightweight cloth folding chairs. No table for eating. Eat on your lap.
  • 5 Gallon potable jug is ideal just as collk22 said.
  • No power needed. Charge your devices in the rig since you are driving all day! The lodge also has power if you need it.
  • The camping setup isn't great for fires. Join someone else's pit, but with young kids and an early call time, you'll basically be heading to bed at dark.
  • Honestly, the most important thing is bring stuff your kid likes to do to stay entertained. Bikes, iPad, whatever... you'll all enjoy it more if the kids are happy!
  • Bring a couple tarps for under the tent and to cover your kitchen area from rain.
  • You'll have plenty of time in the evenings to make dinner on the couple times you need to, and that's fun. Burgers, hot dogs, bread/butter, canned corn, fruit.. easy stuff, single pan cooking. Breakfast depends on call time to the trail, but plan on simple, fast and light. Some days you'll have a 9am start, some days 7am. On the late start days we made bacon and egg croissants. On early days it is instant oatmeal and cereal. For every day, plan on packing lunch. Sandwiches, chips, sodas, whatever you want for a 5-8 hour road trip.
  • You can eat dinner in town. We may this year more, but last year we just enjoyed hanging in camp and cooking there.
  • There's a couple RV parks with showers. Those are great! That was my wife and daughters best part. Our "campsite" is just a grass field, and port-a-potties. The lodge has a bathroom, but its not enough for everyone. We showered after trail runs and before dinner and it was perfect.

Hit me up if you need anything!

You guys must have been the cleanest family in Silverton. lol. I took one shower while at HIH, but that was one amazing shower at Molas Lake Campground.

Looking forward to sights like this again...@Get_outside, spotted by @benc...Friday's Black Bear run at Ocho.

20180713-_DSC0029.jpg

Last edited:
You guys must have been the cleanest family in Silverton. lol. I took one shower while at HIH, but that was one amazing shower at Molas Lake Campground.
That's one more shower than I got if you don't count the spongebath and hair washing I did in the 1 gallon sink in my popup.

Looking forward to sights like this again...@Get_outside, spotted by @benc...Friday's Black Bear run at Ocho.

View attachment 2249078
That was a great day: here's that climb from a different POV- that little step at the top can be tricky. Ben was there to point out the best line.

20180713_111721.jpg

IMG_1447.jpg

Some happy peep's just below the steps overlooking Tulluride.
IMG_1474.jpg

@abuck99, is this you? I shot most of the rigs up the fall that day. I don't know if I posted them anywhere, so PM me if you were there!
20180713-_DSC0020.jpg

Some old photos. I post them every year, but they never get old. This year I need to take some new photos! :meh:

Sunrise over Silverton and a secret spot ;)

IMG_5436.jpg
IMG_6315.jpg

The waterfall at the beginning of the Black Bear trail. Often there is a large herd of sheep here.

Everyone keep the positive energy flowing with the old HIH pics! We all need the inspiration right now!
IMG_5319.jpg

33A40570-0A9C-4CC8-A472-ED88DC049E85.jpeg
1F2D9699-9D8B-48F0-AC84-79699358103A.jpeg
EE0A507C-9736-4684-9471-C875D333535F.jpeg

HIH7 Can’t wait to go back someday

I'll add to the vibes. Some of HIH 9.
IMG_1902-edit.jpg

IMG_1915-edit.jpg

IMG_1241-edit.jpg

IMG_1202-edit-2.jpg

810_1296-2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread