Builds 100's Cousin (twice removed) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Been doing a ton of work to my old Tundra.
Bendix in the starter went out so we put a 2kw starter in there
BDE20D5A-1503-49B0-B9F0-6CCDC1194074.jpeg

914C4D54-1E13-47C0-81F1-F60D84576EE9.jpeg

While we were in there we replaced the radiator, coolant pipe, o-ring, thermostat, intake gaskets, starter and knock sensor connectors and installed 12 hole injectors.
36290C92-E1CF-4356-8A1E-646A0B087279.jpeg

04062502-7D5F-4593-BBFA-84A574312175.jpeg

Last edited:
And recently picked up a set of 5th gen T4R wheels and 255/75’s (32”) A/T’s. I LOVE how it looks and the ride quality is massively improved!!
CA9FBF1F-5581-4F35-A562-38AE845542DB.jpeg
62332552-07FB-4799-A195-E3E84FC8355B.jpeg

And recently picked up a set of 5th gen T4R wheels and 255/75’s (32”) A/T’s. I LOVE how it looks and the ride quality is massively improved!!View attachment 2559045View attachment 2559046
Are those the same offset as the Tundra/Sequoia wheels? BTW, those tall-skinnies are getting moment of love on the Toyota Sequoia Off Road Facebook. I'm digging the extra height without having to deal with a lift or spacers or whatever but I'm a little concerned the weight of a heavily loaded sequoia might be better off with something fatter. Any thoughts on that?

Are those the same offset as the Tundra/Sequoia wheels? BTW, those tall-skinnies are getting moment of love on the Toyota Sequoia Off Road Facebook. I'm digging the extra height without having to deal with a lift or spacers or whatever but I'm a little concerned the weight of a heavily loaded sequoia might be better off with something fatter. Any thoughts on that?

Yes, they are +15mm, same as original. The only difference dimensionally is that these wheels are 7” vs 7.5” for the original Tundra/Sequoia 17’s.
I think the tall vs skinny thing is subjective. Try it out, you may like it. Your contact patch will be loosing 10mm of width but it gains in length with taller tires. I bet the area remains similar to stock in this particular case. I can say without a doubt that steering feel is noticeably lighter/easier which I was not expecting (old front tires were standard 265/65 Michelin’s). Plenty of LC guys have used 255’s as well without ill effect and they are heavier than a Sequoia. Correct load rating is more important than width.

Yes, they are +15mm, same as original. The only difference dimensionally is that these wheels are 7” vs 7.5” for the original Tundra/Sequoia 17’s.
I think the tall vs skinny thing is subjective. Try it out, you may like it. Your contact patch will be loosing 10mm of width but it gains in length with taller tires. I bet the area remains similar to stock in this particular case. I can say without a doubt that steering feel is noticeably lighter/easier which I was not expecting (old front tires were standard 265/65 Michelin’s). Plenty of LC guys have used 255’s as well without ill effect and they are heavier than a Sequoia. Correct load rating is more important than width.
Right on. Thanks!

I know you're long gone from this thread, but I thought I'd mention my son was just given his grandpa's 06 Tundra 2wd Access cab. Same color as yours. I know he would have preferred 4wd (he goes to school in Eastern WA and works trail crews in the summer), but the price was right. We'll do some good snows and maybe look at an LSD at some point. It's fun having a Sequoia and Tundra in the household - both WA state, fairly rust-free, dealer-maintained cars at about ~130k miles. With the small amount we drive, I expect both will last nearly forever. Now to find a silver canopy for his truck!

Reactions: GTV
I know you're long gone from this thread, but I thought I'd mention my son was just given his grandpa's 06 Tundra 2wd Access cab. Same color as yours. I know he would have preferred 4wd (he goes to school in Eastern WA and works trail crews in the summer), but the price was right. We'll do some good snows and maybe look at an LSD at some point. It's fun having a Sequoia and Tundra in the household - both WA state, fairly rust-free, dealer-maintained cars at about ~130k miles. With the small amount we drive, I expect both will last nearly forever. Now to find a silver canopy for his truck!

If my Tundra was 4x4 I probably would still have it and I wouldn't have gone down the rabbit hole that I'm in!

Easiest way to go LSD is to get a complete rear axle out of a TRD O/R. You might even be able to find one with 4.10's. That and some good A/T's will get him to a lot of places.

If my Tundra was 4x4 I probably would still have it and I wouldn't have gone down the rabbit hole that I'm in!

Easiest way to go LSD is to get a complete rear axle out of a TRD O/R. You might even be able to find one with 4.10's. That and some good A/T's will get him to a lot of places.
Right on, thanks. Like I said, price was right (plus it's grandpa's truck and the maintenance is perfect -- though that front bench seat is a curious option choice.

While you're here I have another Q -- I just ordered GX 460 brake goodies. Were you able to find a Seattle-area shop to do the machining (and if so, where and what was the $$$-damage). I'm hoping a hobbiest-machinist buddy can do it, but I'm not sure what his mill setup +availability is so it'd be nice to have a back up.

Right on, thanks. Like I said, price was right (plus it's grandpa's truck and the maintenance is perfect -- though that front bench seat is a curious option choice.

While you're here I have another Q -- I just ordered GX 460 brake goodies. Were you able to find a Seattle-area shop to do the machining (and if so, where and what was the $$$-damage). I'm hoping a hobbiest-machinist buddy can do it, but I'm not sure what his mill setup +availability is so it'd be nice to have a back up.

On the Tundra 470 brakes I didn't machine them, I took the DIY approach. I just took a grinder to the caliper mount bosses on the knuckles until it was roughly flat. They work.
On the Sequoia 460 brakes I took whatever advice the internet had (as far as how much to machine) and found a local-ish aerospace machine shop machine the bosses on the calipers down... but only after I disassembled them by unbolting the two halves of the calipers (don't loose the o-rings). It was not cheap but I was already committed. I wanna say at least $250, whatever it was it was way too much. The numbers the internet gave me weren't perfect, next time I would bolt the bare caliper up and measure exactly how much it needs to move in order to be centered over the rotor.

On the Tundra 470 brakes I didn't machine them, I took the DIY approach. I just took a grinder to the caliper mount bosses on the knuckles until it was roughly flat. They work.
On the Sequoia 460 brakes I took whatever advice the internet had (as far as how much to machine) and found a local-ish aerospace machine shop machine the bosses on the calipers down... but only after I disassembled them by unbolting the two halves of the calipers (don't loose the o-rings). It was not cheap but I was already committed. I wanna say at least $250, whatever it was it was way too much. The numbers the internet gave me weren't perfect, next time I would bolt the bare caliper up and measure exactly how much it needs to move in order to be centered over the rotor.
Thanks. Yikes, that is some expensive machining. I'm hoping I can get the buddy to do it. Everything I've read on the Sequoia forums is that you don't need split the caliper or do anything weird. Or else I'll just hit it with the angle grinder and send it ;)
Thanks again.

GTV, I see an ‘07 100 in your sig. You should probably put this thread to bed with at least a photo and brief description of what you bought. If you have a new thread in the 100 section, a link would be good too.

I sold my 100 a few years back, and after owning my ‘03 Sequoia for awhile, I can tell there is a difference in build quality, and although I’ve owned close to a dozen LCs, I’m pretty dang content with this Sequoia. It’s (as I believe you also said) the best bang for buck Toyota 4x4 by far!

GTV, I see an ‘07 100 in your sig. You should probably put this thread to bed with at least a photo and brief description of what you bought. If you have a new thread in the 100 section, a link would be good too.

My sig is the link to the build thread. Click it 😉

January 13, 2019
Night vision was garbage. I’ve used Osram Night Breaker Laser headlights in my Tundra for a few years now. They’re bright as hell but they last two years like they’re on a f***ing timer. The headlights in the Sequoia were s*** on my long drive home, they seemed dim and the right side light was pointing all up at a wonky angle. I had to use the high beams or else I couldn’t see a damn thing. So anyway, I went a step down in Osram’s lineup and got the Osram blah blah Unlimited. Went to install said bulbs and I noticed that my passenger side bulb was installed incorrectly, the flat side wasn’t facing down. So I fixed that and, voilà, headlights are pointing where they should be. And I saw that the last hands in there, even though unskilled, installed Osram bulbs. So I’ll at least keep those in there for a little while. Major improvement at zero cost.
Hello! I cannot seem to find an application for the Sequoia on the OSRAM website--do you know which bulbs you used? Thx in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom