Has anyone removed the cats on their Tundra ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alberta mac

addicted but not cured
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
My engine light is on and my mechanic said it's because of the cats. The truck has about 400,000km on it with a motor replacement which has 270,000km
2007 Tundra 5.7 ( motor is a 2010 )
My mechanic says they can be cut out completely and my milage should be better.
Does anyone have any experience with this situation ?

You probably can get away with removing the rear cats.

If you remove the front cats you will get a catalyst has deteriorated code, which will make the engine run in closed loop mode. This will make the engine run rich and kill your fuel milage.

You would need a way to trick the ecm to think the cats are still there for the engine to run normal.

I'm not sure if you need to pass an emission test in Alberta, but if you do, the truck will not pass if the cats have been deleted.

Factory cats are expensive, but a quick search showed some aftermarket systems for fairly cheap, like this . No clue on the quality or effectiveness of that, but might be worth it to do some more research.

I found this...

So it looks like milage will increase slightly with an improvement toward power gain and the motor running more efficiently.
Wondering if anyone can chime in with their input who has done this mod ?
The cats on my 80 were removed when I bought it. I hated it. Couldn't stand the smell. I added them back when I built the new exhaust. You're not going to notice anything worth the process

I have a 2007 Tundra 4.7. After 3 yrs of engine lights I found the front pass cat had burnt itself out.
Found bits of honeycomb in the pipe. I got a replacement from Rock Auto. Apparently local auto
suppliers in Canada won't list part number for individual cat parts. Anyhow, the Rock Auto part worked
and was about $400 C so worth it. I got rid of engine light and it runs smooth. Bolt in, 20 min job.

I have a 2007 Tundra 4.7. After 3 yrs of engine lights I found the front pass cat had burnt itself out.
Found bits of honeycomb in the pipe. I got a replacement from Rock Auto. Apparently local auto
suppliers in Canada won't list part number for individual cat parts. Anyhow, the Rock Auto part worked
and was about $400 C so worth it. I got rid of engine light and it runs smooth. Bolt in, 20 min job.
same thing happened to my 07 4.7. but i'm in CA and it cost me almost $4K to replace the two cats on one side.

Why so much? Did you do a whole exhaust with upgrade? I DIY everything.

I’m running an o2 sensor extender with a 90 and it got rid of my CEL and the Sequoia is running great still.
Everything I found said Toyotas didn’t like non oem cars and I can’t afford to drop that kind of coin currently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom