100 Vs FJ cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone made the switch from an FJ cruiser to a 100 series ?
Thinking about switching and getting an older 100 series . my FJ is a 2007
Any opinions on this idea. for or against it ?

FJ cruisers are great. The 1GR-FE has proven itself for longevity. Weak links are CV axles, blind spot and storage area. I was recently faced with this choice (with first gen Sequoia in the mix as well) and one of the things that kept the FJ Cruiser in the hunt was number and age of my children...I have one and he is seven. So he'll be of appropriate size for a few more years. Any more or older kids would pull the FJ out of the running. That being said, all the FJ's I could afford were rust belt trucks and I was offered a great opportunity on a hundred with a new tb/wp service, armor and a lift so I jumped on it.

Parts scarcity will begin to become an issue as has happened with fzj80/1fz-fe along with shops not wanting to work on them as they get older...

FJ cruisers are great. The 1GR-FE has proven itself for longevity. Weak links are CV axles, blind spot and storage area. I was recently faced with this choice (with first gen Sequoia in the mix as well) and one of the things that kept the FJ Cruiser in the hunt was number and age of my children...I have one and he is seven. So he'll be of appropriate size for a few more years. Any more or older kids would pull the FJ out of the running. That being said, all the FJ's I could afford were rust belt trucks and I was offered a great opportunity on a hundred with a new tb/wp service, armor and a lift so I jumped on it.

Parts scarcity will begin to become an issue as has happened with fzj80/1fz-fe along with shops not wanting to work on them as they get older...

I love my FJ , but I have na opportunity to pick up a fully built triple locked 100 with low miles decently priced , but my FJ has been my go to adventure rig, the main reasons for switching would be mainly cause of space, but also -
lockers/ being more built , V8 power , and honestly because I’ve always wanted one. I really can’t “truly justify “ this purchase as both are excellent for what I do but I would hate to feel like I “downgraded”

Here’s a pic of her for the heck of it 🤣

IMG_1775.jpeg

Test drive the 100 for an impression. An FJ might have a better power to weight ratio than a 100, especially if the latter has put on some weight from being built out.
Of course you'd be losing some MPG with the LC. Your FJ looks like it could tackle just about any task offroad. Dunno if the 100 would be an upgrade in that department.

YOLO, so might as well go with your gut on this. What would I do? I like to hold on indefinitely to a Toyota that's served me well, so it'd be a no go.

The FJ is awesome for trails. It's smaller, more nimble, super cool with the 3 wipers and just unusual styling all over. But it's small.

If you've got a family, it's a tough sell.

We sell more and more FJ drawer/sleeper systems now and so far every single one is a 2nd row seat delete. The second row seats just aren't worth that much and the cargo area is tiny with the seats in place. Conversely the 100 2nd row is big and luxurious with ample cargo space behind.

To me those FJ doors look cool but I couldn't live with them for long. LC 4 doors and same off roading prowess as the FJ, I would go for LC. Noting that the LC is a little bit higher in mgp.

Test drive the 100 for an impression. An FJ might have a better power to weight ratio than a 100, especially if the latter has put on some weight from being built out.
Of course you'd be losing some MPG with the LC. Your FJ looks like it could tackle just about any task offroad. Dunno if the 100 would be an upgrade in that department.

YOLO, so might as well go with your gut on this. What would I do? I like to hold on indefinitely to a Toyota that's served me well, so it'd be a no go.
That’s also an issue , I trust my FJ , not sure if I want to jump into a whole new platform and have to relearn it .. my FJ is perfectly capable of doing everything I ask of it and more

To me those FJ doors look cool but I couldn't live with them for long. LC 4 doors and same off roading prowess as the FJ, I would go for LC. Noting that the LC is a little bit higher in mgp.
Part of me thinks the FJ wheelbase and nimbleness would outwheel a 100…

Tough to compare. They're just such different trucks. I bought an FJ new in '07, drove it 4.5 years, and loved it - longest I'd ever owned a vehicle to that point. Next truck was the 2006 100 I've been in since. The FJ is awesome. It's just not a Land Cruiser. It's lighter, louder, less solid feeling, etc., - not in a cheap way; more in a normal Toyota way.

The FJ was definitely better on the trail. But the 100 is pretty damn good on the trail and just better all around as a daily.

Both trucks were/are mod'ed about the same - small lift, winch bumper, sliders, 33s, etc.
P-Side_508.jpg

IMG_2509.jpeg

(and yeah, I'm a fan of steel wheels... and BFGs ;) )

Tough to compare. They're just such different trucks. I bought an FJ new in '07, drove it 4.5 years, and loved it - longest I'd ever owned a vehicle to that point. Next truck was the 2006 100 I've been in since. The FJ is awesome. It's just not a Land Cruiser. It's lighter, louder, less solid feeling, etc., - not in a cheap way; more in a normal Toyota way.

The FJ was definitely better on the trail. But the 100 is pretty damn good on the trail and just better all around as a daily.

Both trucks were/are mod'ed about the same - small lift, winch bumper, sliders, 33s, etc.
View attachment 3353468

View attachment 3353475

(and yeah, I'm a fan of steel wheels... and BFGs ;) )
Both are super clean !!
Real tough decision, I just hate to get rid of my trusted FJ for an older vehicle ..

I've had both. Visibility is far better on the 100, and I prefer it for long drives due to comfort. But the FJ was easier to work on, cheaper to maintain and modify, and a better fit for wheeling.
My thoughts exactly on each point you listed, when comparing my LX to my slightly built '04 V8 4Runner SE 4WD. That said, if it was just me and my son, or wife, or dog and I don't need the 2nd row then I usually just take that 4Runner. However, just did a 2,000 mile road trip to Oregon with the wife and dog, and was very happy to have the LX for all the long days of driving! Just thought I'd chime in as both the 4th gen 4Runner and FJC are based on 120 platform.

decision has been made — keeping the FJ
Learning to determine wants vs needs …
For more space inside and if doing longer trips where space is limited in the FJ, a ski box on the roof and/or a simple off-road worthy trailer can really give flexibility when planning.

Thought on some additional points for the FJ: The FJs rear locker and A-Trac is a solid setup that offers a lot of versatility and is all around fantastic. Plenty of debate on if front and rear lockers are better in all circumstances than A-Trac and rear lock. But I don't think you're missing out much. My FJ was limited by me far more than I was limited by it.

Fuel economy is much better, and the modular bumper setup made repairs or replacement cheap if damaged.

Probably the right choice!

Exactly , I’m most cases the FJ has never been the limiting factor when wheeling / camping . I’ve taken it on RZR trails and it did just fine . Really my only complaint is space , and like you said a good camp trailer works well. I just did a 2,000 mile trip to Montana and my only complaint really would be lack of space. But I’ve gotten better at organizing …

If I’d kept the FJ, I’d have spent some time installing FatMat (or equivalent sound-deadening) under the floor covering, in the doors, behind panels… And, I'd have installed a switchable backup camera. The FJ is the only truck I struggled to see out of on the trail. Going forward was fine. It was backing up around/between trees. I'm not saying I ever bumped any trees... twice.

Last edited:
Exactly , I’m most cases the FJ has never been the limiting factor when wheeling / camping . I’ve taken it on RZR trails and it did just fine . Really my only complaint is space , and like you said a good camp trailer works well. I just did a 2,000 mile trip to Montana and my only complaint really would be lack of space. But I’ve gotten better at organizing …
I picked up a M416 about a dozen years ago and only recently added the rooftop tent. It was just a gear hauler for cross country and on the trail. I never committed to the second row delete, and have my ARB fridge directly behind the driver seat, leaving two seats in the middle+passenger side.

M416_Fygar (206).JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom