100 vs 80 - Mission Accomplished! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For ten years, I've been taking a long winter drive with the family in my previously unmodified 94 80 LC. It's been a fabulous vehicle and has always performed flawlessly.

For the first time, I'm making a very similar trip in my new 06 100 LX, and I wanted to capture my observations on the differences while they're fresh in my mind.

This year's trip includes days in Yosemite, Gold country via route 49, Tahoe, Grand Canyon via route 66, and Las Vegas, and a total of about 2200 miles in 14 days. Passengers included my wife and two kids, 5 & 7. I'm currently in a Tahoe starbucks, and still have about 1000 miles ahead of me.

Some of these differences are because of 12 years of new tech, some because of LX vs LC, and some because of 80 vs. 100. I'll leave it to the peanut gallary to sort it all out.

1) Loading - I couldn't believe how much the 100 swallowed up. The pile of stuff was same as always, and I always had a tight fit in the 80. The 100 took it all with room to spare. I couldn't find the stat on the % cu-ft difference between the two, but it sure feels like a lot. Knowing the roof rack has more than twice the weight carying capacity was also nice, even though I was considering leaving the cargo box at home this trip because I didn't really need the space.

2) RIDE! - Being able to set the suspension to "mashed potatoes" on the freeway and "BMW" on the curvy mountain roads has been great! We are arriving with less fatigue, and the mountain handling is very respectable. I also feel like the vehicle is more predictable and consistent in it's handling.

3) Noise Level!!! - Night and day difference. It's also contributed to arriving with less fatigue.

4) Engine Performance!!!!! - The new 275hp variable valve timing engine is fantastic! The pedal is light to the touch, and I never had to dig in my toe, even on the steepest mountain roads. I felt like I was still using the first 1/2 of its capabilities, even at 75mph going from 6000 to 7000 feet high.

5) Interior room - Before this trip, I thought this was a negative because of the reduced "face room" as compared to the 80. The raked 100 windshiled may reduce noise, but a tall person has much less room between their nose and the glass. After this tirp, I think the extra width more than makes up for it. The width gives more room between the kids where you can keep coolers, portable electronics, etc. You just have more "working space."

6) Electronics - yeah... the nav, satellite, extra power ports, Lexuslink, etc are quite nice, and give a lot of trip flexibility. I used the Lexuslink phone in several locations where my cell had no service, and the Lexuslink still worked perfectly. Even the night vision, which I previously thought was truly useless, turned out to be very nice. It eliminates those moments where you panic because the road "disappears." I now leave it turned on during night drives, and just glance at it in situations where I'd otherwise want to flash my brights. It probably works even better for shorter drivers, as it's closer to the normal line of sight.

7) Storage - This is one where the 80 wins over the 100. The 100 uses some for the CD player, has a small gove box, and is generally weak in built in storage locations. There's no place to put a cell phone in the center console and still reach it if it rings, for example.

8) Gas mileage - With the roof rack and mountain driving, I'd get 10-11mpg in my old 80. That mpg was pretty consistent, and hasn't gone down over time. With the 100, I'm currently averaging about 17 mpg. I have been making a gas stop at the same place for 10 years, but this year I had half a tank at that same location and just kept on going.

9) Traction Control - At one point, as I was slowing for a turn in icey conditions, the back end started to feel a bit loose. Just as I started to turn the wheel to follow the back wheels, the traction control fired off and I continued down the orginal line into a vista stop. When we got out, the ground was slightly wet black ice, and everyone fell at least once.

I still love the old 80, but for this particular mission the 100 is without a doubt the much better vehicle. Until now the 100 has been a flashy toy that didn't quite match my personalilty. This trip has changed that, and for the first time I've patted it on the dash and said "nice job." I hope my 80 isn't too jealous.

tahoe.jpg

lexus.jpg

dirt0.jpg

Last edited:
The second half surprised me by being the most exiciting and convincing part of this trip.

First, the observations:

10) PASSING! - Much of the second half was on single lane highways, and the 06 100 does a very solid job of passing. Excelleration from 65 to 90 is strong, and it made it much safer and easier to get around slower vehicles, or even slow groups of vehicles. This was a huge improvement over the 80.

11) 5 speed transmission - I really appreciated the 5 speed transmission when coming down from 8000ft. The extra gear gives you better control with engine braking, and the design of the shift gate makes it easy to remember what gear you're in without looking.

12) Gas mileage - After getting very good results on the first half, the miles added up and my foot got heavier and heavier. I spent much of the second half of the trip between 80 and 95, and my MPG went down to 14, but that was with the roof rack too. Still, that matches the best I ever get in my 94 80.

13) Lexuslink - I'll never buy another vehicle without Lexuslink/Onstar. On the way back, I programmed the nav to take an alternate route across Nevada that looked like it would save us some time. It complained a bit, but let me cut a big corner out of the original plan.

I began to get nervous when I realized I'd been driving for nearly two hours without seeing another car, house, store, gas station, power line... or friggin anything.

I got quite nervious when I suddenly came to a point where the pavement unexpected ended, and the road became dirt. I looked over the nav plan, figured I still had 30 miles to go before I rejoined the highway, but really didn't want to back track two hours. I checked my cell phone, but had no service. I checked the lexuslink, and it was still working like a champ. That, along with the five gallons of water I had, let me go on.

Well.. the dirt road went from good, to bad, to gone. Over the course of the next 15 miles, the dunes began to first invade the road, and to then eventually consume the road. I got to the point where the road was indistiguishable from the rest of the desert. I got out and walked around, and could see the road begin again a few hundred feet away. The sand was that silty stuff that moves almost like liquid.

Well, I poked around and marked out a path that could be navigated, checked the Lexuslink one more time to make sure I could still contact help, and I went for it. The traction control did a great job. I could feel the tires sinking and dragging, but I don't think anything ever spun, even with the stock tires. I'm sure my 80 could have done the same thing, but without the Lexuslink, I'd have been afraid to try and would have had to backtrack and would have added 5 hours to the trip.

After we got through, we got out and celebrated. This was the highlight of the entire trip, and was a total blast. It was the absolute most remote place I've ever felt in my life.

For this particular type of trip, the capabilities of the 100LX are absolutely phenomenal. The vehicle is ready for anything.... and that's why we like these machines so much.

dirt1.jpg

interesting led to

dirt2.jpg

a bit of heart pounding led to

dirt4.jpg

considerable fear, followed by euphoria!

Last edited:
Yeah, yeahhhh .. whatcha drinkin???? :D

I appreciate these observations. For a guy that toys with the idea of making the move to a 100/470 some day, it was insightful. Stats are one thing .. but anecdotal evidence is always nice too, ya know?

Drive safe man.. :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: <---------- chocolate shakes for everyone!

Peace,

TY

I agree with your observations as I am almost in the same boat. But my 100 is an 04 TLC.
The area that I had to improve was tire and suspension since I can't turn the switch like you LX boys:crybaby:
Bridestones instead of Michelins. Bilsteins on Totota shocks off. Now it's a much improved ride:D

Cool. Good info since 90% of the users on this board use their wagons like you do.

I'd say %100, even the hard core have to take the highway to get to the trailhead. Great article last year in Toyota Trails that hit on how a "real" Landcruiser should be able to travel all the land. Even the big city interstates and suburban destinations we all have to get to.

I guess I am lucky that I can experience both of these great vehicles. Both are such fun to cruise around, I must agree with tech_dog that the 100 is hand over fist a better long distance cruising machine.

Do not get me wrong the 80 is great for the shorter hops but if you stare at long hauls the 100 is such a sweetheart. I have used both of my trucks for daily driving for work averaging 500 to 1000 miles aweek, mostly highway and urban streets. Reliability is not an issue for either, but personality is night and day.

One must find which is best. In my case where I am a larger fellow 6'2"-285lbs the 100 fits me best for room and comfort.

Now talking with the boys, they agree the 100 is great but the 80 is a manly "here I am" truck and it fits their needs for crusing and beating the bush.

So there you have it both great and meeting seperate needs. Go figure.

The 80 series is still a truck and feels like one.

The 100 series is a luxury vehicle and feels like one.

That said, if I had money to spend on gas for a 100 series (along with the money to buy one), I'd have one in my stable as well.

That said, also, I much prefer the 80 series because for me it's not technically about comfort but about the ability to do anything at anytime reasonably well. The 80 excells at this.

Besides, the 100 series is not a DD....it's a GG......

:grinpimp: :flipoff2:

Nice observations.
-o-

17 Mpg is pretty good, loaded with all that gear.

I'd say %100, even the hard core have to take the highway to get to the trailhead. Great article last year in Toyota Trails that hit on how a "real" Landcruiser should be able to travel all the land. Even the big city interstates and suburban destinations we all have to get to.

Well,

100% might use them for those things mentioned, but at least 10% of wagon owners sacrifice a lot for the wheeling ability.

My 55 is downright scary on the road and is working swiftly toward trailer queen status. It would never be used to pack up the family and head across the mountains.

My 80 does 95% of it's driving like yours, but that last 5% is pretty important. For that 5% I sacrifice a little bit of road manners every day.

17 Mpg is pretty good, loaded with all that gear.

Yep. On long flat drives with no traffic, I've had half-tanks where I've averaged a flat 20 mpg. That really surprised me, since it's 3 MPG over the rating.

The average drops pretty quick once you head up-hill or hit some traffic.

Everyone knows 100s and their IFS suck. End of story. :flipoff2:

And at least 381 hp for the 08.

uzj100

Yes but LX_TREME is a mod extremist and an '08 means no aftermarket parts.

the HP increase and the spy shots of the new interior, including that 10" nav screen, look amazing.... i'm also betting on a couple extra MPG's and a new tranny (did i hear a 6A is on the way?). BUT the exterior they're playing with over in the desert has me scared that the LC/LX is going the way of the 4runner, very bulbous and rounded.

a friend in toyo tells me not to hold my breath on the release of the 08 LC. it seems the new tundra is lagging behind and apparently the majority of the focus is getting that out the door. i can't recall what the initial estimates were for the release of the new LC/LX, but it will likely experience delays. i can't wait til he phones me to let me know that the prototype is around the facility.... i hope to own a 100 series to drive over there and check it out.

that 20mpg figure, despite being under some very specific circumstances, is quite encouraging. the V6 passat i've driven the past several months is only getting me 13-14mpg around town so the 100 series shouldn't be too much worse.

very informative initial post. thanks.

jp

The second half of this trip turned out to be the most exciting, and in my opinion the most convincing. I added pictures to the first post, and new info to the second post. Click HERE if you're interested, or just scroll back 16 posts.

I thought it was pretty exciting, and having the kids with me definitely raised the stakes.

lx.jpg

It's kind of funny, however, that I've driven my 80 to work every day since I got back. Go figure.

T.

Last edited:
The second half of this trip turned out to be the most exciting, and in my opinion the most convincing. I added pictures to the first post, and new info to the second post. Take a look if you're intersted. I thought it was pretty exciting, and having the kids with me definitely raised the stakes.

It's kind of funny, however, that I've driven my 80 to work every day since I got back. Go figure.

T.

That's what 80's are for...;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom