$100 to spend at 4wheelparts - Hi-Lift Jack?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dissent

Questioning my life choices...
Threads
My neighbor came to his senses and sold off his Rubicon then gave me a $100 gift card to spend at 4WheelParts stores. They are mostly Jeeps so I'm trying to find something I need.

I have an opportunity to buy a Hi-Lift Jack now but I'm still not sold on needing one. Should I go for it, it's free??

Other than the dangers of using one, which can be negated by some common sense and practice, they are a money pit for 'add-ons'. Lots and lots of custom parts: pads, lift chains, mounts, etc. Spending that $100 on a Hi-Lift, is akin to buying your first rock of crack: Just leads to more and more spending...

IF you have jacking points on your truck, a Hi-Lift can be useful, at times even essential. If you don't, it's a waste of cash and space for the most part. It's a recovery tool, not especially useful for changing tires (even with jacking points). Along that vein, recovery gear is good to have, tough to have too much. How's your straps? D-rings? Recovery points? Winch? Snatch block and other winch-related stuff? 4WP has lots of stuff that isn't Jeep-specific.

Thanks for the info, that's where I've been for years. I'm good on recovery gear otherwise. I think I'll go for a 2.5lb Halotron fire extinguisher and dump the dry chem one.

tire deals are good at 4 Wheel parts - I took a PepBoys coupon to them and walked out better than I would have at PepBoys :grinpimp: - and we have only ever had good expire yes with their tire warranties: Michael warrantied at least 2-3 tires there, and I just as many - no questions asked ;)

I opted for an inflatable jack instead of a hi-lift. Specifically the ARB Orange Bushranger X-Jack Kit. I had a few guys with more experience tell me enough to talk me out of my hi-lift purchase.

^^^Im with him on this. I have a hi lift on the LC 24/7 and its never been off the mount. Not once. Its good to have it there just in case, but if I had to put $$$ to something for recovery, it would be toward an inflatable jack, as I saw one work in Death Valley where nothing else would. Good luck,

I opted for an inflatable jack instead of a hi-lift. Specifically the ARB Orange Bushranger X-Jack Kit. I had a few guys with more experience tell me enough to talk me out of my hi-lift purchase.

Cruisers with mods is too heavy for X-jack. That is my observation during one of the monthly meetings.

I don't do too much stupid stuff and have a recovery strap. I don't have a kinetic strap though. That inflatable jack is interesting but the weight is a concern. Anyone lift a cruiser with one yet?

Actually I do have both an ARB Snatch Strap and an Army hummer recovery strap.

I don't do too much stupid stuff and have a recovery strap. I don't have a kinetic strap though. That inflatable jack is interesting but the weight is a concern. Anyone lift a cruiser with one yet?

If one is stuck in a low traction area there are times when only kinetics will work even over a winch. ARB kinetic strap tested best in its class and less that $100.

Soft shackles are a great idea, I have 2 steel shackles already but they aren't anywhere near as flexible.

Soft shackles dont kill
Exactly. I could see retaining the steel ones for sharp edges anchors but really like the soft ones...now that I know about them. :)

I was checking my two yellow snatch straps, one has a few frays and needs to be replaced. I like the idea of having 60 ft of recovery strap for those times when mud or sand are too soft near the recovery point. I have seen more than once the recovery vehicle getting stuck because they couldn't get enough distance to pull from a firm footing.

ARB strap will be my next purchase, auto anything has a 20% off and free shipping AutoAnything™ - America's Auto and Truck Accessories SuperStore. Lasts until next week. Code is Fall22
ARB Winch Straps

I was checking my two yellow snatch straps, one has a few frays and needs to be replaced. I like the idea of having 60 ft of recovery strap for those times when mud or sand are too soft near the recovery point. I have seen more than once the recovery vehicle getting stuck because they couldn't get enough distance to pull from a firm footing.

ARB strap will be my next purchase, auto anything has a 20% off and free shipping AutoAnything™ - America's Auto and Truck Accessories SuperStore. Lasts until next week. Code is Fall22
ARB Winch Straps

:(
These promotions were not applied:
  • 20% OFF, $79 Minimum (Sept 6-30 2017) - doesn't apply to your items

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom