100 series sleeping setup? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I got inspired by this setup, as it was cheap (especially with the price of lumber) and easy to setup and tear down.

I searched Walmart and these type of cots apparently dont exist anymore, so I searched a couple different outdoor sports stores and found that they make double width sized cots now. i did some measuring inside the back and found that, with the seats folded down, I have ~74" of length that I could play with. Most double cots are ~80-85" in length, which is too much.

After an exhaustive search on Amazon, I found this little beauty: Amazon product ASIN B08JY32G9N It is technically a "folding bed" but for all intents and purposes it is a double sized cot. Dimensions are 73" x 39" x 16", which means that with my middle seats folded down it is literally a perfect fit. (rear seats completely removed). The best part is that when it is folded back up, it fits perfectly with the middle seats up so I dont have to have the bed setup all the time. It is also on rollers so that it can be moved around easily as a spare bed for an AirBnB or in a tent or whatever...

Pictures for anyone interested.
View attachment 2673226View attachment 2673227View attachment 2673228
I saw a cot that resembles your inspiration at Dick’s maybe 18 months ago. I should’ve bought it. Nice find on the folding bed!

How are you all dealing with condensation from body heat and breathing while sleeping inside your 100? I would imagine you'd need to have some form of ventilation.
Did everyone forget the 3rd row windows pop open? My head faces the rear of the vehicle so cracking the window open does plenty for me.

I think the 3rd row window is a good option if bugs are not a concern. For me there are usually killer mosquitoes trying to get in.

I think the 3rd row window is a good option if bugs are not a concern. For me there are usually killer mosquitoes trying to get in.
Great point. We named our group chat "Camp Mosquito" from the nightmare we encountered at one site LOL.

I definitely like the window sock idea. I just don't like the idea of leaving the whole window down. Cracked open is fine. Cause you know.. animals and Jason type characters.

Great point. We named our group chat "Camp Mosquito" from the nightmare we encountered at one site LOL.

I definitely like the window sock idea. I just don't like the idea of leaving the whole window down. Cracked open is fine. Cause you know.. animals and Jason type characters.
Yea that’s the great thing about the window sock idea, you can operate the window with the sock in place. One of the nights I was camping we had a cold spell so we just turned on the car power and rolled it up a bit.

I believe there is a mod that also lets the windows be operated at all times instead of only when the car is on.

I'm not sure if these are the exact ones, but something like this:

Window Socks

As for the screens, here's what I did a couple years back.

And for a little cross ventilation, I picked up a USB clip on fan. It plugs into any USB battery pack and I clip it to the second row grab handle.

Amazon product ASIN B01GZMMH7K

How are you all dealing with condensation from body heat and breathing while sleeping inside your 100? I would imagine you'd need to have some form of ventilation.
Not an issue, crack the sun roof or rear vent. I also have stretchy screens that I put over a rolled down window. Little USB powered fan works well also.

Upgraded my J100 with a local cabinet shop.

D3AE028E-7C33-49F9-A672-BBBAAF187D71.jpeg

A1101835-5C57-4BBA-81E0-29B1C7EC111A.jpeg

5FEC975D-0D06-415A-84AF-AA20B12E294C.jpeg

0DB09672-A24D-4001-A550-A637DE2BE195.jpeg

I took inspiration from @TheAshenWolf and @Porter - nice, simple setups. I greatly appreciate the rest of the thread for tips on window coverings and other sleeping setup ideas. 👍

I ordered the 12" legs from Amazon, and the platforms are 3/4" plywood on 2x4 frames. I added 1/2" carpet pad under the carpet. Front and back panels lock together with butterfly latches.

Total cost about $250 (including the obnoxious cost of plywood right now).

20210801_182702.jpg

20210801_183528.jpg

20210801_183645.jpg

20210805_124913.jpg

I took inspiration from @TheAshenWolf and @Porter - nice, simple setups. I greatly appreciate the rest of the thread for tips on window coverings and other sleeping setup ideas. 👍

I ordered the 12" legs from Amazon, and the platforms are 3/4" plywood on 2x4 frames. I added 1/2" carpet pad under the carpet. Front and back panels lock together with butterfly latches.

Total cost about $250 (including the obnoxious cost of plywood right now).

View attachment 2751058

View attachment 2751059

View attachment 2751060

View attachment 2751061
Curious how you mounted/secured the 2nd row piece.

Curious how you mounted/secured the 2nd row piece.
@RuskiE39 @peskywombats The front panel lays across the top of the second row seats with just the seat backs folded down. It's long enough the front end rests on the center console, so there's support in the center. I wrapped the pad and carpet around the panel on the front to cushion and protect the leather on the seats and. I do have to pull the front seats forward quite a to fit the whole thing in.

I'll give it a go in a couple weeks, but I'm hoping the plywood is strong enough to not need supports on the end.

The front panel rests on a lip on the second panel's frame. I left 1 inch of frame exposed for this purpose, and the front panel does have a 2x4 under it offset by 1 inch that joins to the rear frame. The front and rear 2x4s are where I put the latches to join front and rear.

Hope the pic helps. Sorry it's such a rough drawing. Had a better one but it's lost on the workbench.

16282174100834461806619554063092.jpg

@RuskiE39 @peskywombats The front panel lays across the top of the second row seats with just the seat backs folded down. It's long enough the front end rests on the center console, so there's support in the center. I wrapped the pad and carpet around the panel on the front to cushion and protect the leather on the seats and. I do have to pull the front seats forward quite a to fit the whole thing in.

I'll give it a go in a couple weeks, but I'm hoping the plywood is strong enough to not need supports on the end.

The front panel rests on a lip on the second panel's frame. I left 1 inch of frame exposed for this purpose, and the front panel does have a 2x4 under it offset by 1 inch that joins to the rear frame. The front and rear 2x4s are where I put the latches to join front and rear.

Hope the pic helps. Sorry it's such a rough drawing. Had a better one but it's lost on the workbench.

View attachment 2751359
Right on, and cool that you used a butterfly latch like I did. I've used mine (similar build to yours) several times now this summer and it's been phenomenal. So much room when you're not crammed between the rear fender wells. (just my wife and I when we sleep inside)

View attachment 2751359
Awesome, thanks for sharing. I started working on mine last night. I may use only a back section, supported by plumbing pipe and screw-in flanges as feet, that way I can take it all apart when needed for flat storage. I'm leaving an 8'' hinged flap in the rear to lift up for easier access to what I store under it. Should have it done this weekend.

The SS1 by AirDownGearUp is a worthy investment.

KIMG3474.JPG

KIMG3471.JPG

KIMG3470.JPG

KIMG3469.JPG

I used to work for a company that built marketing displays using this type of aluminum extrusion. It's stupid cheap, comes from vietnam/china, and is marked way up for what it is. Just my 2 cents. You could probably go to any extrusion vendor and spend less than $100 on the extrusion bits and build it yourself.
Gotcha, yeah I disagree this system is rock solid I beat the heck out of it and it hasn't had any issues. Not sure what type of product you ended up with back then but it's not the same nowadays.

The concept of you can just build it yourself could be made with any product, I could go buy a shed or I could build it myself. I could go buy this material, a CNC machine, a some plywood and pretend like I know how to build stuff, but I don't .

I used to work for a company that built marketing displays using this type of aluminum extrusion. It's stupid cheap, comes from vietnam/china, and is marked way up for what it is. Just my 2 cents. You could probably go to any extrusion vendor and spend less than $100 on the extrusion bits and build it yourself.

If you think Air Down Gear Up products are simply a few aluminum extrusions I welcome you to explore our catalog a bit more thoroughly. :)

Also, assuming we're talking about reputable manufacturers (80/20, Tnutz, Bosch, etc...) aluminum extrusion is awesome stuff regardless of where it's smelted/extruded. When used properly it's incredibly strong and versatile. Perhaps you had some non-standard stuff before everyone standardized on the 80-20 dims?

Not that 80/20 needs any defending, but it's EVERYWHERE in industrial settings. It's used to construct most all automation cells in the world to hold up walls, fixtures, robots, etc... It's definitely not just some cheap junk for some signage frames.

Gotcha, yeah I disagree this system is rock solid I beat the heck out of it and it hasn't had any issues. Not sure what type of product you ended up with back then but it's not the same nowadays.

The concept of you can just build it yourself could be made with any product, I could go buy a shed or I could build it myself. I could go buy this material, a CNC machine, a some plywood and pretend like I know how to build stuff, but I don't .

Yup. With most any product you purchase today, you're paying for the maker to create more value than the sum of its parts. You *can* DIY nearly anything in 2021 assuming you have first world income and access to YouTube. That doesn't mean you should DIY everything.

I lowered my SS1 platform for more headroom by using 8 inch legs and used two Front Runner Wolf Pack boxes in place of the middle seats. My "drawers" (partially seen on the right) are straight wall shipping containers (48" x 15" x 7.5").
View attachment 2378298
View attachment 2378299
Where are you getting the long shipping containers. I think I can fit my High Lift jack in there. Nice set up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom