100 series keeps losing alignment...why? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I noticed that my alignment is off again! I have an 06 LX470 with over 250k. I have had it aligned two times within the past year. I haven't gone off road with it or hit any huge potholes/bumps etc. So why would the alignment keep going all wonky every 3 or 4 months!?!? I have also noticed that my steering feels extra loose!

My guess is that your steering rack bushings or the steering rack is due for a replacement

Worn control arm bushings can also cause an alignment to fall out of spec.

Maybe the tech at the shop isn't torquing the cam bolts to spec allowing them to slip a little?

Is that an expensive repair job?

DIY, Yes. Dealer: Oh God.

You can get reman racks from Detroit Axle—they work for some of the folks here. I tried but they sent the wrong rack, so I ended up with some Chinese rebuilt rack (was in a hurry) that I fully expect to blow up in a couple years or less.

CVJ in Denver CO will rebuild yours (https://www.cvjreman.com) —just call for a quote. If they have one in stock you'll be golden, otherwise you'll have to add ship time back and forth for them to rebuild yours. I still have my old OEM—someday I'll send it to them for service.

OEM is of course the best by far, but spendy. Worse if you have to add shop labor.

To follow on, turn the truck on and have someone turn it lock to lock a few times while you watch the rack underneath (it's forward of the axle). You'll know immediately if it's the bushings, because the rack will have WAY too much lateral movement (it shouldn't move at all).

As other stated, rack bushings, worn ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, and control arm bushings can cause alignment issues. Toyota steering rack was $600-700 last time I bought one. It's an easier job to replace the rack and tie rods compared to full replacement of control arms and bushings... in my opinion.

Just want to mention....IF you end up needing a steering rack and bushings that are not OEM, make sure to get good bushings separately from the aftermarket steering rack. Whiteline is a good brand. Good bushings are a MUST. I replaced the rack of one of mine a couple years ago with a MasterPro brand from O'reilly's., I think it was $400. I then had to go back not long later and replace the bushing with Whiteline. Works great. The service objective of the steering rack is only as good as its bushings.

As other stated, rack bushings, worn ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, and control arm bushings can cause alignment issues. Toyota steering rack was $600-700 last time I bought one. It's an easier job to replace the rack and tie rods compared to full replacement of control arms and bushings... in my opinion.

Thank you!

Mine went from an old 20year truck to feeling like a tight BMW after the steering rack from Slee. Money well spent

I would have no hesitation in replacing again. This was last year on my 1998 with 123,xxx

Mine went from an old 20year truck to feeling like a tight BMW after the steering rack from Slee. Money well spent

I would have no hesitation in replacing again. This was last year on my 1998 with 123,xxx

Was the rack from Slee an aftermarket or OEM part that they sell?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom