100 Series IFS Long Travel Thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Why can't we get a portal axle kit? My preliminary research leads me to believe that we could gain 4.5-6 ins all while placing less stress on the drivetrain than any other lift technique. I get that they're expensive, but I'm suprised no one even makes one. Best I can find is Mark's 79 series kit, but we have IFS...

It'd be sick if we could souce Megacruiser portals (in a dream world), or have aftermarket arms/axles that could accept Humvee portals or something similar that we could grab on the used market.
I think Tibus (sp?) was making or about to make a portal for the 100 series. Not cheap though

Clearly this is happening in Bulgaria. Any clue who is making the portal boxes?

I think the portals were either Czech or Polish made. You can check a lot more photos and details at
Listed price is €10k for F+R and weight is 200kg. They have an 80 series running on them as well.

Btw the Mega Cruiser runs portals on IFS, but photos and details online are scarce...

Bump, bump, bump.... any progress on your long travel project?? Due to this corona virus times I installed Solidworks on my home computer and working from home. I started to design a UCA to accomplish the same things as the existing aftermarket UCAs (ie Trail-Taylor, Nitro, Total Chaos, Slee, etc...). While designing it I was thinking "why not fit a coil over in the front? Replace the torsion bars? etc, etc.... Did searching and reading here for the past week on all the developments. YES, I read all the obstacles to creating this suspension but have some resources to get it done (time is another issue...). I'm not a suspension expert so I am learning (had my '99 LC since '03 and didn't raise the suspension until only 2yrs ago, but now I'm hooked :) ). I have a buddy that owns a machine shop. Another buddy is a suspension expert and can fabricate, design and weld frames as he has been restoring old classic muscle cars for the past 15yrs. He has designed mild to wild frames and if anyone can make this he can. I would love to see someone complete this project.

AS1747, here is a CONCEPT Solidworks model for a UCA This is using a single block of aluminum for the body, spherical bearing for the ball joint in a machined 4140 alloy steel bearing holder. The length of the arm can be made to whatever we need.

View attachment 2256322
The upper and lower shocks mount will support to weight of the Hundy using a coilover. The Lexus AHC suspension is proof of that. You just need to make an adapter or have a coilover top that will bolt up. New upper arms like these will be needed in order to clear the coilover. The stock arms will make contact with any decent sized coilover (2.5 or bigger) without them. For anyone who want a longer travel suspension, I think it’s the 2010 Tundra axles are 1 1/2 or 2 inches longer and will work with 100 series birfield joints. A call to Total Chaos should be able to confirm which year Tundra axles are needed. Custom longer top and bottom arms with these axles should yield 10 to 12 inches of travel. Which would be a game changer from the stock 6.5 inches of travel.

the market is so limited on these vehicles. it doesn’t make much sense for any company to invest time in r&d. If this is going to happen on a 100 series LC, it’s most likely going to be custom one-off work.

100 series are still fairly rare and overpriced for most used car buyers, I imagine there may be more interest once products are actually built and proven. Everyone wants to be on the cutting edge, not the bleeding edge.

I am very familiar with long travel suspension and what it takes to build a reliable, safe and fast truck (search #dmztundra on Instagram). And I would love to do something stupid to my new project, but I’m cautiously optimistic that anyone other long travel suspension companies will get behind the idea if there’s no ROI.

the market is so limited on these vehicles. it doesn’t make much sense for any company to invest time in r&d. If this is going to happen on a 100 series LC, it’s most likely going to be custom one-off work.

100 series are still fairly rare and overpriced for most used car buyers, I imagine there may be more interest once products are actually built and proven. Everyone wants to be on the cutting edge, not the bleeding edge.

I am very familiar with long travel suspension and what it takes to build a reliable, safe and fast truck (search #dmztundra on Instagram). And I would love to do something stupid to my new project, but I’m cautiously optimistic that anyone other long travel suspension companies will get behind the idea if there’s no ROI.
I think most people want this. You see SAS and long travel IFS talk come up all the time but most people will back out when they see the cost involved in doing these swaps.

I think most people want this. You see SAS and long travel IFS talk come up all the time but most people will back out when they see the cost involved in doing these swaps.
Solo builds a 4x4 tundra kit that cycles 18” of travel, so I know it’s possible. My buddy Jonny runs this kit on his Tundra but I’ve never seen it off-road so I can’t attest to its performance.

F333AC05-FED8-4D76-BE93-C7352F2A066E.jpeg

What's TT want for his SAS kit... $20k :rofl: :rofl:

Solo builds a 4x4 tundra kit that cycles 18” of travel, so I know it’s possible. My buddy Jonny runs this kit on his Tundra but I’ve never seen it off-road so I can’t attest to its performance.

View attachment 2458582

Been running the 2WD prototype 14" kit for 8 years without issue.

ltinstall-3.jpg

$16k without? my apologies. it's still absurd.
His kit is $2k. Everything else that's needed would add up quick, and I can't imagine paying for someone's labor on a SAS being cheap. I agree, spendy, but still cheaper than moving to Australia and buying a 105. I'm just happy that there are folks out there willing to put time and effort into developing new things for our rigs. The IFS stigma is too much to bear some days... I shoulda bought an 80.

His kit is $2k. Everything else that's needed would add up quick, and I can't imagine paying for someone's labor on a SAS being cheap. I agree, spendy, but still cheaper than moving to Australia and buying a 105. I'm just happy that there are folks out there willing to put time and effort into developing new things for our rigs. The IFS stigma is too much to bear some days... I shoulda bought an 80.
Got a link? Has he formally come out and laid out a price? The guy blocks you if you challenge him in the tech section so, I'm out of the loop.

I love my 80 and if I could do it over, the 80 would be the built rig.

Last edited:
Got a link?

I can’t speak to how pricing may or may not have changed. Just passing along the info I’ve come across. He says somewhere 2k for just the bracket kit that you’d weld in.
Yes for now on the rear. Mine will be completely rebuild at the same time as I do the front.

Too many variables to give a quick estimate. It could be from 2000.00 for just the bracket kit up to 12000.00+/- depending on choice of options just for parts.

J

When asked about doing the whole conversion at his shop:
Ballpark is 16-24K pending options.

I've reached out to him. He is not interested in doing another. Very sweet setup. There is a a 2-part video on YouTube

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom