100-series at 253k -- what else may need replacing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there,
I purchased a 2005 west-coast LC in 2020 (for $10k with 222k miles). It is a DD for wife. She loves it but it was pretty nuts on gas this past summer and the technology is a bit antiquated.

I did all scheduled maintenance and then some. Unfortunately I do not have the skills and/or tools to do any major work myself. Luckily I have a mechanic who is honest and is happy to let me bring my own parts if I find them less expensive somewhere else.

Some bigger recent stuff: AC / Heat lines needed replacement as they were corroded. EVAP codes resulted in new charcoal canister replacement. A few thousand there was spent. Now I have the P0430 code so probably needs new catalytic converter about $2k. While I can see what a freaking great machine it is, it is becoming a bit expensive at 253,600 miles.

At this mileage and age---what else is likely to need attention?

t-belt and water pump would be high on the list of things to do as the t-belt is due every 90k. did you get any records with the truck when you bought it

t-belt and water pump would be high on the list of things to do as the t-belt is due every 90k. did you get any records with the truck when you bought it
Thanks for the reminder -- the T-belt was done at 220K (so I have some time)

Do the heater T joints.

My baseline for a similar age and mile rig is going like this :

Done to date: Timing belt, water pump, tensioner, pulleys, Tstat, hoses, heater tees, radiator, starter, alternator, fan clutch, fan clutch bracket, air filter, fuel filter, oil changes, clean intake throttle body and MAF sensor.

Todo: Vac lines, valve cover gaskets, coils and plugs, control arm bushings front rear, shocks, trans diff and engine mounts. Trans, Diff and tcase fluids.

Brakes were checked first and foremost. Then cooling system done 100%.

Other items will be coming now

There are lots of other items that could go bad or last a long time just depends.

Ac system
Brake power booster
Steering rack and bushings
Window motors and door locks etc etc etc etc etc.

Maintenance hogs
But great vehicles

My baseline for a similar age and mile rig is going like this :

Done to date: Timing belt, water pump, tensioner, pulleys, Tstat, hoses, heater tees, radiator, starter, alternator, fan clutch, fan clutch bracket, air filter, fuel filter, oil changes, clean intake throttle body and MAF sensor.

Todo: Vac lines, valve cover gaskets, coils and plugs, control arm bushings front rear, shocks, trans diff and engine mounts. Trans, Diff and tcase fluids.

Brakes were checked first and foremost. Then cooling system done 100%.

Other items will be coming now

There are lots of other items that could go bad or last a long time just depends.

Ac system
Brake power booster
Steering rack and bushings
Window motors and door locks etc etc etc etc etc.

Maintenance hogs
But great vehicles
This is a very helpful list. Thank you.

Take a look at my 1999's thread in my signature. I bought it with about the same mileage as your 100 and describe everything I have done to it each year. Most of it is maintenance.

Last edited:

Sorry I'm late to the party...for reference I have a 2000 LX with 250k. This past weekend we found a bad caliper on the drivers side rear(prob been driving with 3 good calipers for who knows how long. went ahead and swapped both rear calipers and pads since we were in there, made a big difference. I'd also check upper and lower ball joints, sway bar links(front and rear), sway bar rubbers, all your differential mounts/rubbers and differential fluid. these are just a few things i didnt see listed but also things i have done recently. I hope this helps

See reply #11 here. Mine has more miles than yours and I've played 'catch up' on some PM. Any vehicle with 250K+ is just going to need a lot of bulbs and rubber parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom