100 Series AHC and VSC Failure - Solved! (First ih8mud post) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First off I would like to sincerely thank all of those that have come before me providing excellent content for the all of the owners out there in the world to read and assist with problems. I purchased a 2004 LX470 during covid in 2021 and it has taken me two years to identify my AHC and VSC problem, our first born was in that timeline so forgive the duration.

State of the vehicle upon receipt: Pressures were outside of normal, AHC in normal was fine, but did take a long time to get into high.

Our LX470 came with the ARB front bumper installed, so extra armor weight up front meant verifying the pressures first. Let's just say that was a challenge of it's own, but I did crank on the torsion bars and pretty much bottomed them out. Since the suspension was in such bad shape, I did try taking it to the Toyota dealership to have some general maintenance done and to take a look at it. They wanted to replace all 4 shocks because they were not responding somewhere in the neighborhood of $7k. So I first wanted to refresh all of the globes and ordered a set from Japan. I replaced the fluid and globes all at once and there was virtually no change.

State of the vehicle at this point in time: Pressures were in normal condition, AHC height control fully functional

When I finally had more time to do research and look at wiring diagrams, I did find a couple mentions of the AHC/VSC switch that caused some issues. I had also found reasons to look into the actuators and the height sensors. I started with actuators and part way through I decided to pull the switch and visually inspect. I didn't find any obvious shorts, but the VSC dial electrical pads were quite worn and the metal fingers for the dial needed to be bent out to ensure contact. Upon reinstallation there was no change. So I decided to dig deeper and try to trace the switch with a multimeter. Ultimately I decided to attempt driving the vehicle with the switch disconnected. Eureka - the system was finally responding and adjusting the actuators. The system went completely from not doing the job intended to functioning properly. The steering tightened up significantly, the vehicle over bumps was much less floppy, and the vehicle was much more flat in the turns.

I just ordered a replacement switch part number (89299-60020) from an online Toyota parts dealership. I will update when the new switch is installed. I hope this post helps someone else seeing a complete failure without any indication of failure.

I do suspect that the absorber/shock bushings need replaced to further improve things.

Additional items purchased that will be installed to completely freshen up all of the underside:
  • U-joints
  • 555 tie rod ends
  • 555 upper and lower ball joints
  • Super Pro bushings for everything (long list)

IMG_8292.jpg

Update - The new suspension control switch (89299-60020) worked exactly as expected and resolved my issues. The LX now comfortably drives and is not flopping all over the road. The vehicle is much more planted going through curves and soaks up the bumps properly.

Troubleshooting tip - if the AHC suspension is not functioning and everything checks out, try unplugging the suspension control switch in the center console. If that improves things, replace the switch.

Thanks for this useful info. Would you mind explain / sharing pics of where / how in centre console to reach it. Im not clear where it sits exactly and now listening to your issues think i will swop my switch out also

In the center console closest to dash and driver there is a "COMFORT SPORT" selector along with the "HEIGHT CONTOL OFF" button and the vehicle height control up/down selection. There are YouTube videos on how to remove your center console. It is really easy, remove the gear selector knob by twisting off (left loose) and the 4wd hi/low selector knob (left loose). Then pull up on console, I usually start with one hand in the 4wd selector area and one hand in the cup holders and pull up to release press fit inserts and then work the rest of the panel free. Finally angle the panel over the gear levers. As you start to clear the levers, you will need to unplug electrical connections from the under side. Starting with the heated seats and then the items on the other side.

Once you have unplugged the comfort/sport and height control switch, take the vehicle for a test drive to see if AHC is improved. If you have no obvious difference, your switch may not be the issue. However, it is possible to have a bad switch and something else wrong. For example if your AHC pressures are incorrect and the switch is bad, unplugging the switch will only solve a part of the problem. And for another example if your AHC suspension globes are bad and the switch is bad, you may not notice much difference in suspension by unplugging the suspension. One clue though is the steering and vehicle stability. With a faulty switch the VSC can also fail to function making the steering very loose as well as the suspension very sloppy. As soon as the switch was disconnected the vehicle performed drastically different in both steering and suspension. However, I had already eliminated other potential problems by changing the AHC globes, AHC fluid, and adjusting the AHC pressures by tightening the torsion bars. I finally received high praise from my wife as it is her vehicle stating that it drives "really good". It took her a couple weeks of driving it to realize the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom