100 series Lc possible Transmisson failure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2001 land cruiser 4.7 v8 with 245000 od, I was going down the road when I felt a slight hiccup in power. about a mile later it hit again with no power to the wheels engine still going, i coast to the side of the road and immediately shut off the engine. no leaking under the car and no codes. I started the Engine back up and i seem to have no drive gears or reverse, I tried to switch to low and back to high and hit the center lock, no luck with that. I put the car in park and noticed it still wanted to roll downhill after pulling the emergency brake i checked again under the vehicle and noticed a slight griding noise towards the front of the Transmission.

Usually this is from one of the c-clips popping off the end of the CV axle, you can check by pulling the dust caps. But, you should be able to drive with the center diff locked if it is the c-clip. Your center may just not have locked (solid light not flashing).

Usually this is from one of the c-clips popping off the end of the CV axle, you can check by pulling the dust caps. But, you should be able to drive with the center diff locked if it is the c-clip. Your center may just not have locked (solid light not flashing).
Center diff light is on when I push the button but I will pull the caps and check anyways

Center diff light is on when I push the button but I will pull the caps and check anyways

Rolling away in Park is a sign of three things:

1. Center diff lock is NOT locked (despite and lights on the dash)
2. Parking 'pawl' in transmission is broken (doubtful unless you've had that issue previously)
3. One (or both) drive flanges have stripped out or the Circlip has come off the CV axle. In both cases the splines on the CV axle are just spinning inside the drive flange and ALL power will bias to that spot unless you have the center diff locked.

When you have the Center Diff actually locked it forces both front and rear driveshafts/propshafts to receive equal amounts of power. Meaning: Even if your front differential is damaged or flanges stripped (or cv axles themselves) you STILL have rear wheel drive.

It is not likely you would have ALL transmission gears fail at once. So check to see that the Circlip hasn't popped off OR the flange stripped. IF they are.....your vehicle should still drive when the center diff is locked.

Lastly, check your transmission fluid level.

Last edited:
Rolling away in Park is a sign of three things:

1. Center diff lock is NOT locked (despite and lights on the dash)
2. Parking 'pawl' in transmission is broken (doubtful unless you've had that issue previously)
3. One (or both) drive flanges have stripped out or the Circlip has come off the CV axle. In both cases the splines on the CV axle are just spinning inside the drive flange and ALL power will bias to that spot unless you have the center diff locked.

When you have the Center Diff actually locked it forces both front and rear driveshafts/propshafts to receive equal amounts of power. Meaning: Even if your front differential is damaged or flanges stripped (or cv axles themselves) you STILL have rear wheel drive.

It is not likely you would have ALL transmission gears fail at once. So check to see that the Circlip hasn't popped off OR the flange stripped. IF they are.....your vehicle should still drive when the center diff is locked.

Lastly, check your transmission fluid level.

Turns out it was the overdrive in the transmission itself Transmission fluid was good Level wise. Transfer case is good, getting pressure on torque converter And high RPM test. once I get it pulled, I will pull apart the transmission and upload photos to show

Turns out it was the overdrive in the transmission itself Transmission fluid was good Level wise. Transfer case is good, getting pressure on torque converter And high RPM test. once I get it pulled, I will pull apart the transmission and upload photos to show

Doesn't sound right to me. Hope you get it sorted out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom