100 owners, show me your rooftop cargo box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I thought about getting one of their cargo cases a few years back but when I realized they require the mounting brackets to be permanently fixed to your roof rack, I changed my mind. I guess if your 100 sits outside and you don't have garage clearance issues, then this is a non issue but for me i didnt wanna mess with removing and securing the brackets each time I needed to have a cargo box up on the roof.
It looks like those brackets are pretty low profile. Along with a minimal amount of bolts and nuts for securing. The clasp seems to be removable along with the boxes as well. I am in and out of parking decks frequently so that was the impetus for the entire roof rack removal. But I need an alternative when it comes to long road trips. I was thinking if I keep OEM rack and use a basket similar to this. I could maybe remove all as needed and recover with the OEM blank panels when I am done. Or perhaps a slimline or low profile flat rack with the cargo case bracket left on it I can just pull the entire rack at will store at home and return to the slick top. I just cannot get past the looks of all that clutter up there and my OCD kicks in with a need to organize it in order to keep the wind noise to a minimum. This is a great dialogue regardless. Thanks, everyone.

I like the look of the cargo series but I really dislike how much space the rotomold type construction takes up. I am planning to go with one of the longer style cases on mine. I picked up one of the Harbor Freight Apache cases, but I am thinking of switching it out for one of the SKB cases that is a little larger. I am planning to drill some holes in it for mounting to the 80/20 rails I run.

I like the look of the cargo series but I really dislike how much space the rotomold type construction takes up. I am planning to go with one of the longer style cases on mine. I picked up one of the Harbor Freight Apache cases, but I am thinking of switching it out for one of the SKB cases that is a little larger. I am planning to drill some holes in it for mounting to the 80/20 rails I run.
Apache cases are awesome for small stuff! Med kits, food, etc. I am unfamiliar with SKB. Need to check that out.

Yea SKB seems comparable to Pelican. I like that they offer their cases without foam which brings the price down a bit.
Looking at these it looks like a cross between Mission Darkness faraday stuff and Apache cases. Thanks for the tip.

I thought about getting one of their cargo cases a few years back but when I realized they require the mounting brackets to be permanently fixed to your roof rack, I changed my mind. I guess if your 100 sits outside and you don't have garage clearance issues, then this is a non issue but for me i didnt wanna mess with removing and securing the brackets each time I needed to have a cargo box up on the roof.

Agreed, I use 2" endless straps under the rack and through the handles. The extra strap end goes in the case and lock it up. Obviously, this isn't a secure solution, a simple box cutter could slash the strap and free the case. However, for quick mounting its awesome. What I like is I can still open the lid and lock it and they're water tight. I usually run a chainsaw and kit in one, and sometimes toss firewood/tarps/bedding... whatever... in the other.

I have had the cases for ever, I haven't checked out Pelicans new offerings. I'd like to see what you come up with.

Thanks for the thread! Just nabbed a 24" wide Thule from FB Marketplace for $150. No cracks, plastic is a bit faded, lock works, and the (old) attachment hardware is all there. Pretty good deal if you ask me. Got one key so I ordered a couple more from Thule. I plan to mount the box on the factory rack next to my kayak J-hook racks. Picture to follow when it's up with the kayak.

Like this?
b27d3480-77bc-4fcc-a9a9-8d8fc8e3d9a8-jpeg.2683115

2 Pelican 1650 Cases
40bd3131-ac9d-4855-9509-27417f197f04-jpeg.2701161

Hey, I am new to the forums but have been doing a lot of research lately as I may be getting into my first 100 series soon. I have a family of 5 and noticed you make a few posts where you have the same big team as I do. How comfortable has the 100 series been for the family? I figured with a top rack and cargo box plus a back rack like a pakmule I should have plenty of room for storage... well at least ample room. Thanks for any advice or comments you have.

Hey, I am new to the forums but have been doing a lot of research lately as I may be getting into my first 100 series soon. I have a family of 5 and noticed you make a few posts where you have the same big team as I do. How comfortable has the 100 series been for the family? I figured with a top rack and cargo box plus a back rack like a pakmule I should have plenty of room for storage... well at least ample room. Thanks for any advice or comments you have.

Day trips are awesome. It is a comfy ride.

Wheeling with gear gets tight but you can do it if you think like a backpacker not an overlander.

When my kids roll with me they get a duffle bag I assign. They can bring anything they want as long as it fits... if it fits is ships.

I think with a roof rack, some dry bags, a cargo box you can easily have a weeks adventure. If you bring toys you'll be slammed.

Make those memories Dad! You don't get a do over.

Day trips are awesome. It is a comfy ride.

Wheeling with gear gets tight but you can do it if you think like a backpacker not an overlander.

When my kids roll with me they get a duffle bag I assign. They can bring anything they want as long as it fits... if it fits is ships.

I think with a roof rack, some dry bags, a cargo box you can easily have a weeks adventure. If you bring toys you'll be slammed.

Make those memories Dad! You don't get a do over.

Good information thank you. We are starting to purchase all of our camping gear so we can start getting out as a family this fall. I am going to keep "lightweight" and "packability" in mind while we do.

Also have a Thule Motion XT Alpine like @TheInfovore and I love it. The low profile looks great to me. And only slightly more wind noise compared to when it was empty up there.

I've been using it for a year on the stock rack as I didn't feel the need for an aftermarket solution. That was until a few days ago, and I opened up the sunroof cover and saw that the box is moving all around on the highway! :( Of course when I was parked I could see the stock cross bars would flex some when I pushed it, but I didn't think it was moving around so much when at speed.

Of course talking about roof racks is one of the all time top topics here on mud. I still would rather not get too crazy here, but am now tempted to try and do something? The 8020 solutions are really interesting, but given the claw like locking mounts for the box, the low clearance of the 8020 isn't going to work like most others are using it. I am thinking I might try and see if I can try and do a raised bar with 8020 and some upward facing angle brackets, but that still might not look great and/or will cause wind noise. Of course Thule and Yakima make cross bars too, but they don't seem very low profile. Sure would be nice to have something that looks like stock but has a beefier cross section.

IMG_8770.JPG

IMG_3542.jpg

Last edited:
Love our Thule box, I can fit tons of stuff in there for the road trips. I'm still trying to find some crossbars that I'm happy with and don't cost an arm and a leg!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom