Builds 10/79 40 Rolling Resto (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Learned something this weekend. When you zip tie your coil to the powder coated battery tray, your truck will not start. The coil has to be grounded. Nothing a friend with a jumper wire couldn't fix. Thanks to him, I got the 40 on the trailer and to the painter.

To expound on your no-start problem: The electronic ignitor gets it's ground through the coil bracket.
On an older points ignition, the coil can lay anywhere.
On 2F with coil & piggyback ignitor, the coil&ignitor assembly has to be grounded for the ignitor to fire the coil.

Looking forward to more progress.

Learned something this weekend. When you zip tie your coil to the powder coated battery tray, your truck will not start. The coil has to be grounded. Nothing a friend with a jumper wire couldn't fix. Thanks to him, I got the 40 on the trailer and to the painter.
I just learned something new myself.....thanks for sharing. One less thing to leave me on the side of the road :cheers:

Progress!
After a brief stay at the paint and body spa (since March 2021), paint has actually been applied. Big improvement! Hope to pick up most of it next week!
Stay tuned for reassembly pics (but as usual, please don't hold your breath).
Peter

Red40back.jpg

Red40dash.jpg

Red40left.jpg

Anyone have suggestions on where to source seat covers and foam? I tried searching but could not find anything helpful.

Anyone tried the Cruiser Corps coral covers? Thought they might look good with the red. The photos on their site look tan but the name coral throws me.

Thanks in advance!

Anyone have suggestions on where to source seat covers and foam? I tried searching but could not find anything helpful.

Anyone tried the Cruiser Corps coral covers? Thought they might look good with the red. The photos on their site look tan but the name coral throws me.

Thanks in advance!
Great question, as "Coral" I think of a almost red color, but if you look at the pictures, it almost seems like a light brown with a red tint... very deceptive color in my opinion...

Great question, as "Coral" I think of a almost red color, but if you look at the pictures, it almost seems like a light brown with a red tint... very deceptive color in my opinion...
AW
Thanks for the link! After additional searching, I have decided to go with Cruiser Corps coral. I was worried about the headrests not matching but finally saw that they also sell the covers. Will likely also replace the seat bottoms with foam from Specter. I will post pics once I get the seats back.
Peter

Hello All
Have a litttle problem that I hope the forum can solve. My original hood was rusty so I sourced one in better condition. After installing it, I noticed it had holes for the catches for the windshield hooks, making it an early hood. The windshield rests for the later hood bolt in the existing holes as do the windshield hooks. However, the hooks are loose in the rests.
Before I buy early hooks, I am wondering if they will be snug in the newer rests? Also, can the catches be purchased seperately? I figured with so many folks building trucks out of random parts, someone would have encountered this issue previously.
I have attached a photo for interest and photos of the seat covers so folks can see what the coral covers look like with Freeborn Red.
Thanks for any assistance you can provide!
Peter

Red40Front.jpg

SeatinfrontofRed40.jpg

SeatsforRed40.jpg

After retrieving the 40 from paint, we were stumped when we could not get it to start or even turn over. Turns out, that while sitting in the painter's yard under a tarp for two+ years, water had entered the air cleaner, carb, intake manifold and unfortunately, the engine. It was locked up.

We removed the head and let penetrating oil sit in the cylinders for a couple of weeks. Fortunately, only the piston in cylinder six was seiezed. We got it freed up and determined all the rest were okay.

We removed the pan and the pistons to confirm the condition of the cylinder walls. They were okay, so we honed them since we were that far in. Most of the rings were stuck and some were broken. We replaced them using Toyota parts. Compression is good now!

Red40Cylinders.jpg

The carb was nasty after soaking in water for who knows how long. Attached is a picture of what was left after disassembly. Gives you an idea of the condition. We rebuilt it but never got it so it would idle properly.

Based on recommendations in this forum, I bought a City Racer replacement and spacer. Plug and play!

CarbDebris.jpg

NewCRCarb.jpg

In your opinion, are the seat covers more on the “brown” side Of the spectrum 🤔?
Yes. I was concerned they might be too orange and not look good with the Freeborn. I like them and all the comments from those who have seen them have been positive

@peterb just found your build thread and read thru…great work you are doing. Lots of obstacles you have overcome …kinda like one of those “feel good” movies on Hallmark Channel…

For what it’s worth, my daughter had an Audi Q5 about 10 years ago and the interior color looked extremely close to your coral…they called it cinnamon. It was beautiful with the dark blue car she had. An 8 point buck thought she should get a different vehicle. Amazing damage

Hopefully you have more time to plow along on the FJ40… it is a really nice looking build

@peterb just found your build thread and read thru…great work you are doing. Lots of obstacles you have overcome …kinda like one of those “feel good” movies on Hallmark Channel…

For what it’s worth, my daughter had an Audi Q5 about 10 years ago and the interior color looked extremely close to your coral…they called it cinnamon. It was beautiful with the dark blue car she had. An 8 point buck thought she should get a different vehicle. Amazing damage

Hopefully you have more time to plow along on the FJ40… it is a really nice looking build
K47
Thank you for your kind words, much appreciated! The frozen engine was an unexpected setback. But it gave us an opportunity to refresh the head and rings. We've made progress but I have neglected this thread. Thought I would update it. Most recently, we have cleaned and coated the underside. Little more to do but it is looking much better!

UndercoatedFrontAxle.jpg

UndercoatedRearAxlePS.jpg

UndercoatedFront.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom