06 Side curtain airbags deploy= It’s totaled (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well the east tn country roads got the best of me. No room for forgiveness as they say.
Dropped the front passenger side into a ditch and right back out. Bu both sides deployed.
So now I’m faced with having the airbag system repurposed (my buddy owns a reputable body shop who’s comfortable helping me).

vs. taking the payout and starting over. This would make a sweet no airbag rig for someone.

They estimated over 12K to replace OEM airbags, front seat belts, headliner, pop a dent and re spray the front quarter panel.
Just venting. What would y’all do? I really love it as a DD so I’d want to fix it right or replace it with another low mileage, cherry 100.

FDB9AA26-0BFF-4522-94E2-B6DD6F22390C.jpeg

136975EE-9106-4BD2-B097-05E52A936580.jpeg

FDE44751-5912-4B4E-9283-69385A810B39.jpeg

Astonishing that the air bags are that sensitive. I don’t know anything about side curtain airbags, but I wonder if you could pull some from a 100 in a salvage yard to swap in?

One downside of not replacing the airbags: it would render all airbags useless through the computer. If it wasn’t my DD with kids and all I’d feel differently. It’s now got 198k on it. I commute 60 miles round trip daily. The other option is to not fix anything and retire it as a camper weekend rig. I’ll be interested to see what the next quote with the repurposed system comes to.
For what it’s worth.... they’re offering me 3K more than I paid for it 3.5yrs ago @ 100K

Last edited:
Not sure of your miles but $18K is not a bad first offer. I'd lean into taking the money and putting it into a 200-

I would take out the rest and replace with pre side curtain airbag stuff and keep driving it . The front fender I would leave.

How many miles?

I've done that on some Nissans.. Replaced seats with non curtain models -- racing seats. :) Most cases require a resistor to stand in for the air bag so the air bag light will go off after a reset. Some SRSCU modules are a one time use and require replacement to get the light to reset after deployment.

You will need to measure the resistance on a non-deployed side curtain model to know the ohms for the stand-in resistor. I like to see how far I can get without replacing a SRSCU from a junk yard. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. Depends on the make and model.

Since this is disabling some part of the SRS unit from the factory, use for off-roading and at your own risk.

Correctly installed, this does not disturb other airbags in the vehicle.

1588865979922.png

Hmm... pending what parts actually need replacement, I think I'd take the money and buy that back. Side curtain airbags are ~$1000 each. New seat belts are $250 each. Paint can vary wildly, but for a dent in an off-road oriented car I'd go cheap. Pay a body shop to pull the dent, buy a can of aerosol touch up and give it a shot.

I think for a few thousand you could have that rig fully operational and safe. I bet the estimate was full retail dealer pricing and a high priced body shop. The cheap alternative is probably only a fraction of that cost.

Wife's Ford Flex repairs after a mild accident were almost $15k.

Airbags and headliner were $12k of that

Out of curiosity, had the ~2016 side curtain airbag recall been done on this vehicle?

Astonishing that the air bags are that sensitive. I don’t know anything about side curtain airbags, but I wonder if you could pull some from a 100 in a salvage yard to swap in?
They certainly can be, supposedly folks have totaled their rigs by hitting bumpy trails and not first engaging the side curtain cutoff switch leading to airbag deployment.

They certainly can be, supposedly folks have totaled their rigs by hitting bumpy trails and not first engaging the side curtain cutoff switch leading to airbag deployment.

Huh, is that something we should be doing? I've never done that on my 100.

Huh, is that something we should be doing? I've never done that on my 100.
I think it's a precaution more than anything, but the risk is a potentially costly one as we see. It's in the manual to do this when going offroad and I do it out of habit tho I don't personally hit anything very aggressive at all. I would think you need lots of side to side sway before they would pop, and I've not seen videos of a 100 deploying on a trail, but it definitely happens. The Chevy Colorado is especially susceptible for some reason. I've seen drift cars pop their bags from sideways movement.

(Don't mean to thread jack.)

I think it's a precaution more than anything, but the risk is a potentially costly one as we see. It's in the manual to do this when going offroad and I do it out of habit tho I don't personally hit anything very aggressive at all. I would think you need lots of side to side sway before they would pop, and I've not seen videos of a 100 deploying on a trail, but it definitely happens. The Chevy Colorado is especially susceptible for some reason. I've seen drift cars pop their bags from sideways movement.

(Don't mean to thread jack.)

Good to know. I'll be doing this in the future.

/end hijack

A quick look says a new bag at a generic Toyota dealer is $1400. I would guess that is most of what you need without a picture of the inside and maybe a seatbelt if they have pretensioners. If you like the truck fix it and keep it.

Not sure of your miles but $18K is not a bad first offer. I'd lean into taking the money and putting it into a 200-

x2

I’m leaning toward replacement since I need full coverage for my daily driver for the vehicle reimbursement.
now if I can swap out the suspension and tires before I give it up...

I don't see why I would tell anyone about this minor of a thing. Now an 06 is gone/branded and you should/have to take the money.
churn and burn I suppose. I would have just fixed it. Aren't there thousands of 100s without side curtain airbags?

Last edited:
Take. The. Money.
Get another 100. Get a 200. But yeah... take the $18 and run. I would have ZERO interest in a non-bagged salvage vehicle. Plus, your 100 will move into a different role - it will save the lives of countless 100s as its parts are delicately removed and shipped around the country to keep other 100s alive. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom