04 GX470 Build & Advice Gathering Thread — Help me build out my overlander/daily driver... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey fellows GXOR-ers! I joined the club last weekend with this new to me '04 with 195k on the clock. 3rd owner, SoCal vehicle all its life, and it came with a ton of maintenance records. Timing belt and water pump were done in January, so I'm good to go there.

Here's how she stands today:
IMG_3085.JPG

IMG_3084.JPG

Plan to build it into a mild overlander and daily driver. With that said, I could really use some help figuring out what I want to do to it.

Plans include a trip in the near future (probably to RPM Garage in Monrovia) for a baseline check-up and fluid swap as needed. Beyond that, here's what I have in mind and could use some advice on:

👉 CV Boot is loose
I'm assuming this means that it needs to be either rebooted or replaced?

👉 New tires
Thinking KO2's or Falken Wildpeaks. 265/70/17 is the largest I can go without rubbing and still fitting a spare in the stock location, correct? How about with a mild lift? (See next item)

👉 Airbag delete and mild lift — thinking 1.5-2" range.
OMG I could use some help here. I don't wheel hard, just want to lose the airbags and gain a wee bit of clearance. I'd like to maintain roughly the stock ride to a bit stiffer. I know there are a ton of options, and the popular ones seem to be:
  • OME
  • Dobinsons
  • Eibach
  • Ironman
  • ???
Can anyone help me navigate all of the options here? The Eibach kit advertises that it's everything necessary to do an airbag delete and lift in one. Are the other kits similar? What do I need for spring rates for a vehicle that probably won't see metal bumpers or tons of heavy accessories? Do I need new UCA's — what's the benefit of them?

👉 Maybe new wheels?
I'll probably hold off on this for a while since it's a primarily cosmetic benefit and I don't mind the stock wheels, particularly in the gunmetal color. That said, I really want to find some white wheels to put on it. Surprisingly difficult finish to find.

👉 Running board removal and trim to cover the mounting points behind the front wheels

👉 Either 8020 or LFD crossbars added to the rack.

👉 The Mark Levinson amp is blown
(according to the PO — the stereo seems to tune and work, but I get no sound).
I've been trying for two days to get the last bolt (toward the back of the driver's seat) out but it won't budge. Any advice? If I can't manage it myself, I'll prob have the shop remove the seat and deal with the bolt while they're doing everything else...

Once the amp is fixed, I need a basic solution for connecting my phone.

👉 Drawers/Sleeping platform in the back
May DIY these, but definitely open to suggestions as well.

Anything else I'm missing? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
You can check out my build for a basic rear drawer sleeping platform. I also did 80/20 bars and they work great.
You can add Bilstein 6112/5160 to your budget lift list.

Congrats...a great choice!
You’ve got a good list going....my suggestion would be to take it in an order that prioritizes reliability and maintenance over flash.
-Do the baseline
-Ditch the air suspension...it will fail eventually. Ironman is a popular choice.
-KO2’s are a solid choice...and with the non-KDSS, you will be able to fit 255-75/17 in the spare location, and run without rubbing or trimming. 32”, and available in a “C” rated tire. More compliant and comfortable but still very capable.
-As for wheels, what about powder coating the ones you have? I PCd mine for $70/ wheel...$50 for the powder, and $20 to remove the existing stock powder and clear coat. They look great.
- maybe hold off on ditching the running boards until you decide if you want sliders. Having something as a step is very helpful, since you’ll be gaining verticality with the tires and lift. If you plan on using the roof rack, steps of some sort are a must.

Don’t worry about doing everything else all at once...the above items will get you well down the road and up the trail.
Have fun...

Congrats...a great choice!
You’ve got a good list going....my suggestion would be to take it in an order that prioritizes reliability and maintenance over flash.
-Do the baseline
-Ditch the air suspension...it will fail eventually. Ironman is a popular choice.
-KO2’s are a solid choice...and with the non-KDSS, you will be able to fit 255-75/17 in the spare location, and run without rubbing or trimming. 32”, and available in a “C” rated tire. More compliant and comfortable but still very capable.
-As for wheels, what about powder coating the ones you have? I PCd mine for $70/ wheel...$50 for the powder, and $20 to remove the existing stock powder and clear coat. They look great.
- maybe hold off on ditching the running boards until you decide if you want sliders. Having something as a step is very helpful, since you’ll be gaining verticality with the tires and lift. If you plan on using the roof rack, steps of some sort are a must.

Don’t worry about doing everything else all at once...the above items will get you well down the road and up the trail.
Have fun...

Definitely aiming to do the simple things first. Most of what I have listed is with that in mind. Obviously the wheels can wait. I have thought about powder coating as a cheaper option, but I think I'd still want to find something other than stock for that purpose (perhaps another OEM wheel).

Sliders are definitely in the future, but I do want to pull the running boards regardless. I've been practicing getting in and out without using the step to see how I'll like it. My last rig was a lifted XJ that was a definite "hop in" vehicle and I didn't mind a bit.

Thoughts on which Ironman kit? I was looking at their basic Stage 1 kit, but not sure I need 2+" of lift. I've heard great things about them though.
The other option in roughly the same price range is the Dobinsons kit, but I struggle understanding which options I need to select there.

You can check out my build for a basic rear drawer sleeping platform. I also did 80/20 bars and they work great.
You can add Bilstein 6112/5160 to your budget lift list.

Read through the entire thread — great stuff! Going to take inspiration for the sleep platform and the roof rack, without question.

What would you recommend along with the Bilsteins? I don't mind piecing things together, but I'm at a loss as to where to start. I know metaltech makes a Stage 1 and Stage 2 coil conversion kit that's reasonably priced. What else do I need to piece together? Spring reccos?

Anyone have a part number or spare one of these trim pieces for sale? I need the taupe color that matches the tan interior. I bumped the a/c controls with my knee yesterday and the tab on the inside that it screws onto broke, so now it's half-recessed into the space
🙄

IMG_3106.JPG

Been giving it some thought and may just go direct coil conversion with no lift at first to see how it handles what I need it to. 🤔

Started this thread with the intent of turning it into a build threads. And promptly abandoned it. 🤦‍♂️

So, to bring it back up to speed — I picked up my GX from its install-fest yesterday and I'm psyched with how it came out.
It got:
  • Eibach Pro Lift
  • Freedom Offroad F/R UCA's
  • New CV axle
  • Lots of fluids
  • Swaybar links
  • 5 Falken Wildpeaks (265/70R17)
  • Alignment
  • Probably a couple of things I'm forgetting
I have a set of LFG cross-bars (that I picked up used) ready to go on. I purchased it with a dead ML amp (at least that's what I was told). So I gambled on an W041 replacement to my W141 after reading that it works. Need to plug it in and see what happens 🤞

Also planning on a drawer build. Been doing some research there and need to start gathering materials.

IMG_3174.JPG

My light build is very similar to yours--Eibach, SPC UCA, 5x265 Falkens but on 4runner wheels, which i picked up for $250 for 5. I also installed a GROM VL2, which is probably my most used mod:

Select Lexus GX470 2003-2004 VLine VL2 Infotainment System Upgrade Video Interface CarPlay Android Auto

I have this next on the list, an inside door release, and a simple drop down table:

My light build is very similar to yours--Eibach, SPC UCA, 5x265 Falkens but on 4runner wheels, which i picked up for $250 for 5. I also installed a GROM VL2, which is probably my most used mod:

Select Lexus GX470 2003-2004 VLine VL2 Infotainment System Upgrade Video Interface CarPlay Android Auto

I have this next on the list, an inside door release, and a simple drop down table:

Nice! What year is yours @chiz45? I've debated installing a Grom unit, but I have an 04 with the cruddy screen so I'm not really sure it's worth it. I'm debating between a full non-nav conversion and just getting something that will pipe bluetooth from my phone to the head unit. I'm not an audiophile at all; as long as I can hear my music and google maps and charge my phone in the vehicle, I'm a happy camper.

If you don't care/need about mirroring your phone on the display, a plug-and-play Bluetooth add-on would get you the audio (music and google map voice directions) through your factory stereo, and even show artist/song name on the screen.

I used this in my GX470 before switching to an Android headunit and was pleased with the quality and OEM-like functionality. If you're using an Android phone, then a simple Tasker app configuration can be used to automatically resume/play music from your phone when the car is on and your phone connects to Bluetooth.

@amongmany I have an '08. The iphone has a better screen obviously but Waze works nicely on the enlarged screen. I just learned about the split screen for Waze and Amazon music as well.

Nice truck fellow 2004 owner! Great job bringing it up to speed.

I'll weigh in on the ML amp/Bluetooth scenario as my needs/situation was similar to yours. Mine was broken in the same way yours was as well, so I paid United Radio to rebuild it. FYI: I unbolted the drivers seat slightly to get to all the bolts.
For Bluetooth connectivity, I bought the BT-45TOY bluetooth adapter, super happy with it so far.

Nice truck fellow 2004 owner! Great job bringing it up to speed.

I'll weigh in on the ML amp/Bluetooth scenario as my needs/situation was similar to yours. Mine was broken in the same way yours was as well, so I paid United Radio to rebuild it. FYI: I unbolted the drivers seat slightly to get to all the bolts.
For Bluetooth connectivity, I bought the BT-45TOY bluetooth adapter, super happy with it so far.

Thanks, this is helpful. I have a W041 amp that I bought on ebay after reading that it has worked for folks in lieu of the W141 amp. Haven't had a moment to plug it in and test it, but I'm hoping that will work.

As far as the BT unit — what made you choose that one? I have seen mention of the BT-45TOY, the Vaistech unit mentioned above, and even a $25 amazon BT to FM adapter. I haven't done enough research yet to make a decision amongst those options.

I've also seen folks use another product to replace the cassette player with a single din unit of their choice (blanking on the name right now).

@amongmany I have an '08. The iphone has a better screen obviously but Waze works nicely on the enlarged screen. I just learned about the split screen for Waze and Amazon music as well.

Ah, makes sense. I don't think I want to spend the money on the Grom just to plug it into a dated, pixelated screen. I'll prob just look for a bluetooth solution or something.

i haven't seen the 04 screen but i have read that the newer one are noticeably better. Perhaps BT or an Android if you're feeling spendy.

As far as the BT unit — what made you choose that one? I have seen mention of the BT-45TOY, the Vaistech unit mentioned above, and even a $25 amazon BT to FM adapter. I haven't done enough research yet to make a decision amongst those options.

I've also seen folks use another product to replace the cassette player with a single din unit of their choice (blanking on the name right now).

Glad I could help! I went solely on price/reviews, BT45 seemed to have decent reviews and was cheaper than the VAIS unit. The FM modulators while adequate aren't as good as a "wired" solution IMO, especially when sending the FM signal into what I consider a pretty high fidelity sound system ;)

Got a couple of quick things done. Installed my replacement ML amp — I can happily report that the W041 amp IS a plug and play replacement for the W141 in an '04 GX. They were used in the older LS models and can be purchased used in the $200-250 range vs. the $450-500 range to repair/replace the original.

I also added a seat cover to the 2nd row bench. Planning to get a pair of Wet Okole for the front seats, but didn't necessarily want to shell out another $360 for the bench just for the dog to walk around on it. Instead I went with one of these based on a recco from Facebook somewhere. It's not amazing, but for $35 I'm quite pleased with it.

Tomorrow I'm planning to install the LFD rails and hopefully give it a wash. I'll grab photos after that.

Nice! What year is yours @chiz45? I've debated installing a Grom unit, but I have an 04 with the cruddy screen so I'm not really sure it's worth it. I'm debating between a full non-nav conversion and just getting something that will pipe bluetooth from my phone to the head unit. I'm not an audiophile at all; as long as I can hear my music and google maps and charge my phone in the vehicle, I'm a happy camper.

Here's a fun thing I did a few weeks ago. I got the mother of all mounting widgets and, while all the trim was off, I pulled the audio/hvac unit and soldered an 1/8" line directly to the R/L connector points on the tape deck PCB. I then routed the 1/8" line to underneath the GXPAM and keep a dummy tape in deck for the 'hello' signal. It's not the perfect audio solution, but it was easy enough to do without any special orders or trips to the hardware store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom