02 LX470 - Check connection of air conditioner + Touch Screen Unresponsive (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

My 2002 LX470 has this intermittent issue where the following things happen -
- touch screen doesn't load, black screen
- when I access climate settings, I see a message - Check connection of air conditioner
- Audio is switched off
- none of the touch screen related controls function properly
- when accessing the system is slow to respond (lots of lag before I hear a button beep)
- the AC works, it blows cold air, I'm presuming just using the previous settings, but the touch screen and physical buttons are all off so can't really do anything

Besides this, I haven't noticed anything else not working. I've checked the fuses, and they seem to be fine. I've checked for water leakage, and the car seems to be dry throughout. Also the issue seems to come up after somewhat extreme weather conditions - either a lot of rain / humidity or after a lot of heat.

I also have a BT45-TOY installed for bluetooth.

I've browsed several forums for this issue, and there seem to be quite a number of posts related to it, but haven't come across a single thread which clearly mentions a fix. I'm referencing the posts here in case someone else tries to do a similar search.

- mentioned water leak as a potential root cause

- another thread on similar issue which I don't fully understand

- external system not connected / check connection of air conditioner, 2005+ model, potentially an issue with an aftermarket device (VAISTech) install.

I will be opening up the nav unit and check to see if the BT45 is causing issues, but I just wanted to post this in case a kind member takes pity on my noobness, and helps me out with a known fix. I haven't been able to deduce anything substantial from my searches.

Thanks, and appreciate your help with this!

I had a simliar problem on my 2004 Lexus LS430 (very similar integrated NAV to the LX470) and the fix was getting a new (used) LCD screen from ebay

Hello,

My 2002 LX470 has this intermittent issue where the following things happen -
- touch screen doesn't load, black screen
- when I access climate settings, I see a message - Check connection of air conditioner
- Audio is switched off
- none of the touch screen related controls function properly
- when accessing the system is slow to respond (lots of lag before I hear a button beep)
- the AC works, it blows cold air, I'm presuming just using the previous settings, but the touch screen and physical buttons are all off so can't really do anything

Besides this, I haven't noticed anything else not working. I've checked the fuses, and they seem to be fine. I've checked for water leakage, and the car seems to be dry throughout. Also the issue seems to come up after somewhat extreme weather conditions - either a lot of rain / humidity or after a lot of heat.

I also have a BT45-TOY installed for bluetooth.

I've browsed several forums for this issue, and there seem to be quite a number of posts related to it, but haven't come across a single thread which clearly mentions a fix. I'm referencing the posts here in case someone else tries to do a similar search.

- mentioned water leak as a potential root cause

- another thread on similar issue which I don't fully understand

- external system not connected / check connection of air conditioner, 2005+ model, potentially an issue with an aftermarket device (VAISTech) install.

I will be opening up the nav unit and check to see if the BT45 is causing issues, but I just wanted to post this in case a kind member takes pity on my noobness, and helps me out with a known fix. I haven't been able to deduce anything substantial from my searches.

Thanks, and appreciate your help with this!
My 2006 is going through the same issues. You can see my thread here: Are 06-07 Cruisers affected by the Pin 60 problem? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/are-06-07-cruisers-affected-by-the-pin-60-problem.1290920/

Have you tried wiggling the wires behind the head unit? Especially the top? I think another member mentioned that might indicate a pin 60 problem.

I also had a BT TOY, but moved to a Grom VLine. I wonder if these aftermarket systems put a strain on the tech.

On my thread, you’ll notice @Couvi mentions replacing the Network Gateway. You may want to start there.

I have an AC amp for you (#88650-60850) if you want to try replacing that, you can buy it for what I bought it for, I think it was $24, you just gotta pay shipping. I never used it, I bought the wrong one. Seller said it worked fine.

@excessive , @Red Beard - Thank you very much for the replies! 🙏

@Red Beard
Thank you for all the information. I think this has been the most informative / clear post I've seen so far on the issue.
PartSouq was a great recommendation, I have bookmarked this.

So based on what I've read the following things could be a potential issue -

Fuses
Basic check

Pin 60 Issue or Multi-Function Display
Bad solders on the circuit board, and there seem to be service alerts about this.
Based on what @excessive recommends, could be simply a broken MFD unit or a unit with the Pin 60 issue.

AC Amp or Gateway ECU

I don't believe the Navigation ECU is the problem because the navigation was working fine for me. Also I don't see the message such as 'External system not connected'.
Based on this I feel like my issue is probably in the Multi-Function display, the AC Amp, or the Gateway ECU.

I'll try and start with the MFD because I feel that's where the issue is. Yesterday during some more debugging, I realized that even though the display says 'Audio Off' the FM, AM still work. The Disc doesn't, but that maybe because of the BT45, which also makes me wonder if it's the aftermarket part that has been causing these issues.

@Red Beard - Look forward to your explorations, and see if the Network Gateway resolves the issue. And maybe I'll reach out to you for that AC amp if it comes to that. Thanks for the offer. Best of luck!

@quikcslvrsrfr Yeah this is like a tracking down a short, it can drive someone crazy.

I have the same condition with the AM and FM still working even though it says Audio Off. But I do have that external system error message, so maybe you're right about the nav.

Have you tried wiggling the connectors on the MFD?

I'll update my post when I get the parts in next week and I'll tag you if I get anything good.

I agree, it's been annoying.
Another thought is whether the Nav issue is a symptom of the root cause somewhere in the MFD. Not sure...
I'm hoping today I get some time to open it all up and see if it fixes something.

@Red Beard - Jiggling the works worked out!! I just opened up the console, and tried readjusting the wires - and suddenly everything started working again.
So, makes me think that there is probably a loose connection somewhere in the MFD. For now, I'll see how long this takes me, and will do the Pin 60 project on a lazier weekend.

Hope things work out for you as well. Good luck!

Love that. So wiggling could be a good indicator of the Pin 60 problem as mentioned by another member here.

I had this problem when I tried installing a bt45 in my truck. It did the same thing. It was fine when I removed it. After I sent it back I read somewhere that if you unhook the battery before installing the unit then hook it back up afterwards this will solve the issue. You might want to unhook the battery for several minutes and see if that helps.

I had this problem when I tried installing a bt45 in my truck. It did the same thing. It was fine when I removed it. After I sent it back I read somewhere that if you unhook the battery before installing the unit then hook it back up afterwards this will solve the issue. You might want to unhook the battery for several minutes and see if that helps.
@jsloden - Interesting! Can't remember if I disconnected the battery when I installed mine. I'm thinking to give it another go around, and install the mic also. Didn't do that last time. Appreciate the tip!

Btw, what's your set up now, after BT45? I just like the relative 'stockness' of the install, but hate the 'CONNECTED' announcement if I leave it on high volume.

@jsloden - Interesting! Can't remember if I disconnected the battery when I installed mine. I'm thinking to give it another go around, and install the mic also. Didn't do that last time. Appreciate the tip!

Btw, what's your set up now, after BT45? I just like the relative 'stockness' of the install, but hate the 'CONNECTED' announcement if I leave it on high volume.
Right now back to stock. Thinking about ordering another one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom